Update on SoCal Retail Market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BrightLight

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We all know that pharmacist market in SoCal is pretty full. Nevertheless, I have been able to pick up occasional overtime shifts if I am willing to travel to districts outside where I am hired.

Not anymore. Maybe it's because most of the new grads from class of 2011 have got licensed and started to work as pharmacists, but when I checked the market schedule for the last two weeks there had been NO available shifts to pick up (well, except maybe a couple in Lancaster, Bakersfield, or Tehachapi). I have never seen this happened before. Even in districts that are traditionally saturated in SoCal there would sometimes be need for volunteer for coverage because pharmacists call in sick, go on vacation, or take time off for maternity leave. If there are no such extra shifts available for pharmacists to volunteer, it means that there are now more floaters working than the these extra shifts can accommodate. (Perhaps these newly hired pharmacists are not even getting the complete number of hours promised to them upon hiring.)

I don't know if any of you from other areas have encounter similar difficulty in volunteering for extra shifts. But I guess this is it; it all happens sooner than I expect. Class of 2012 will be the groups of pharmacists to experience professional student loans bubble burst. For Classes of 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, it is probably already too late to turn back. However, any of you class of 2016 wannabes with the slightest trace of sanity, it's time to turn back now.
 
We all know that pharmacist market in SoCal is pretty full. Nevertheless, I have been able to pick up occasional overtime shifts if I am willing to travel to districts outside where I am hired.

Not anymore. Maybe it's because most of the new grads from class of 2011 have got licensed and started to work as pharmacists, but when I checked the market schedule for the last two weeks there had been NO available shifts to pick up (well, except maybe a couple in Lancaster, Bakersfield, or Tehachapi). I have never seen this happened before. Even in districts that are traditionally saturated in SoCal there would sometimes be need for volunteer for coverage because pharmacists call in sick, go on vacation, or take time off for maternity leave. If there are no such extra shifts available for pharmacists to volunteer, it means that there are now more floaters working than the these extra shifts can accommodate. (Perhaps these newly hired pharmacists are not even getting the complete number of hours promised to them upon hiring.)

I don't know if any of you from other areas have encounter similar difficulty in volunteering for extra shifts. But I guess this is it; it all happens sooner than I expect. Class of 2012 will be the groups of pharmacists to experience professional student loans bubble burst. For Classes of 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, it is probably already too late to turn back. However, any of you class of 2016 wannabes with the slightest trace of sanity, it's time to turn back now.
SCH convert? Please pass the koolaid, I'm thirsty :laugh: j/k
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
can't speak for southern, but i know of retail chain interns that have been signing this month being guaranteed 30hrs/week in northern california.
 
can't speak for southern, but i know of retail chain interns that have been signing this month being guaranteed 30hrs/week in northern california.

Yeah, based on our market schedule, it seems that the newest grad interns are finally licensed, but there are still shifts available in areas north of the bay and rural areas north of Sacto. WAGs wasn't offering guaranteed hours last I checked though.
 
It is a good thing that Long Beach will finally have pharmacists when the new school starts graduating classes...

Nah, my classmates already have LB covered...we just hired 5 for the Long Beach District and they can't place all of them.
 
Hey, that'd be perfect for you... close to home and all (or most) of the summer off to travel like you said you want to...

eh, i couldn't deal with academia, you need a certain amount of patience to handle the tedium and formalities.

i'd rather work some place where i can trash talk and not have to worry about offending any overly sensitive, strictly politically correct personalities.

at.jpg
 
We all know that pharmacist market in SoCal is pretty full. Nevertheless, I have been able to pick up occasional overtime shifts if I am willing to travel to districts outside where I am hired.

Not anymore. Maybe it's because most of the new grads from class of 2011 have got licensed and started to work as pharmacists, but when I checked the market schedule for the last two weeks there had been NO available shifts to pick up (well, except maybe a couple in Lancaster, Bakersfield, or Tehachapi). I have never seen this happened before. Even in districts that are traditionally saturated in SoCal there would sometimes be need for volunteer for coverage because pharmacists call in sick, go on vacation, or take time off for maternity leave. If there are no such extra shifts available for pharmacists to volunteer, it means that there are now more floaters working than the these extra shifts can accommodate. (Perhaps these newly hired pharmacists are not even getting the complete number of hours promised to them upon hiring.)

I don't know if any of you from other areas have encounter similar difficulty in volunteering for extra shifts. But I guess this is it; it all happens sooner than I expect. Class of 2012 will be the groups of pharmacists to experience professional student loans bubble burst. For Classes of 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, it is probably already too late to turn back. However, any of you class of 2016 wannabes with the slightest trace of sanity, it's time to turn back now.

How long have you been a pharmacist at Wags? You should know that there are limited shifts in the fall due to flu season. Most people take their vacations in the summer and around holiday season. Even last year there were limited shifts around this time of year. However, during the holiday season and in the summer, there were many shifts that "magically" opened up. You're right that there are more grads, but even with no shortage in pharmacists at Wags, you'll still be able to get OT at different times in the year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
eh, i couldn't deal with academia, you need a certain amount of patience to handle the tedium and formalities.

i'd rather work some place where i can trash talk and not have to worry about offending any overly sensitive, strictly politically correct personalities.

at.jpg

I might be interested in Academia after residency. I know the dean and associate dean at one of the new California schools, used to be our associate dean and department chair.

Went on a trip recently to California and fell in love with the place.

Edit: Can't tell if I fell in love with the oceanside view at Newport Beach or the hot girls in SoCAL.
 
Last edited:
Went on a trip recently to California and fell in love with the place.

Edit: Can't tell if I fell in love with the oceanside view at Newport Beach or the hot girls in SoCAL.

haha, be careful with those OC girls, you'll get burned man...burrrnnnned!

newport's a cool place to live, had a nice canyon view flat about a 5 minute drive from the beach. tip for you if you want the ocean view on the cheap, rent during the academic year (sept-may) and move out for the summer. apartments on the harbor go from $2k/mo to $2k/week.

or hell live in irvine (15mins from the beach) and be content not having "beach" at the end of your address, haha
 
haha, be careful with those OC girls, you'll get burned man...burrrnnnned!

newport's a cool place to live, had a nice canyon view flat about a 5 minute drive from the beach. tip for you if you want the ocean view on the cheap, rent during the academic year (sept-may) and move out for the summer. apartments on the harbor go from $2k/mo to $2k/week.

or hell live in irvine (15mins from the beach) and be content not having "beach" at the end of your address, haha

I went with my best friends. His cousin took us out to the clubs and whatnot over there. Girls out there are too friendly. If I wasn't smarter, I'd probably mistake the friendliness as sexual interest.
 
I went with my best friends. His cousin took us out to the clubs and whatnot over there. Girls out there are too friendly. If I wasn't smarter, I'd probably mistake the friendliness as sexual interest.

well, you're from the east coast, so of course you think they're uber friendly. that's just plain ol' normal to me.

maybe i see too many of these "holier than thou" east coast girls and their winter boots, skinny jeans, peacoat & starbucks cups.
 
I went with my best friends. His cousin took us out to the clubs and whatnot over there. Girls out there are too friendly. If I wasn't smarter, I'd probably mistake the friendliness as sexual interest.

It is sexual interest. My cousin moved to Los Angeles for a year for work and he told me the girls in CA are so easy. He hooked up with like 10 chicks when he was there. He told me girls there will do anything even with guys they don't know. This is def NOT the case here in the bible belt.
 
It is sexual interest. My cousin moved to Los Angeles for a year for work and he told me the girls in CA are so easy. He hooked up with like 10 chicks when he was there. He told me girls there will do anything even with guys they don't know. This is def NOT the case here in the bible belt.

idk. I was interested in one of these girls after experiencing this super friendliness, but then my best friend told me that one of his friends is her boyfriend and she's off limits. 🙄
 
idk. I was interested in one of these girls after experiencing this super friendliness, but then my best friend told me that one of his friends is her boyfriend and she's off limits. 🙄

I am sure she would still have sex with you. Girls in CA don't think having sex with people randomly is a big deal at all. They would have sex with random strangers all the time and think it's no big deal. My cousin told me he wishes the girls here in GA are the same way! :laugh:
 
Funny, that (minus the peacoat) is how I always thought of girls from California. :meanie:

naw dude, it's SKIRTS + uggs in california

think about that for a minute

oh and stretchy pants + a tanktop coming out of yoga classes, something like that
 
I am sure she would still have sex with you. Girls in CA don't think having sex with people randomly is a big deal at all. They would have sex with random strangers all the time and think it's no big deal. My cousin told me he wishes the girls here in GA are the same way! :laugh:

I dont know what you guys are complaining about. When I lived in GA, it was a nonstop girl fest.

It didnt matter what bar or what school you hung out at, there was never a problem finding some tail... 👍