Update schools about research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nyemt72

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I submitted my application, I included citations for three submitted research papers, one of which was accepted upon revisions. Two of the three papers are published, still waiting to hear back about the third one. Should I update schools that the submitted papers were officially accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

When I submitted my application, I included citations for three submitted research papers, one of which was accepted upon revisions. Two of the three papers are published, still waiting to hear back about the third one. Should I update schools that the submitted papers were officially accepted?

I would. Or wait until you've heard back about all three to potentially make an even stronger update letter.

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing, except the two accepted papers were submitted in march and april. Since the third was only submitted in june, I may not hear back for a few weeks. I might save the third for a later update and I'd also include my current paper that should be submitted by the winter. I have a few other updates (leadership, volunteering, shadowing) I can include now.

Do admissions committees discourage update letters about submitted papers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I was thinking the same thing, except the two accepted papers were submitted in march and april. Since the third was only submitted in june, I may not hear back for a few weeks. I might save the third for a later update and I'd also include my current paper that should be submitted by the winter. I have a few other updates (leadership, volunteering, shadowing) I can include now.

Do admissions committees discourage update letters about submitted papers?

I don't think submitted papers are worth mentioning by themselves. Maybe piggybacked onto another, more substantial update.

Definitely worth updating about accepted papers, though.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks for the suggestion.