Updated: New allopath/osteopath med school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it is worth pointing out that there is an education bubble on - federal loans are financing a lot of these new schools, and most, if not all, of these new schools rely almost completely on tuition to finance their operation. This is a very dangerous situation for a newly opened medical school, as I believe Commonwealth has found out recently.

People, not neccessarly medical school graduates, are starting to default on these loans - especially those who are taking out massive loans for online education. All that has to happen is more people defaulting and the underwriting will tighten up and people won't be able to get those 350K loans anymore - bad things will happen as a result. Also, at some point, the interest rates are going to rise to the point where it might not make sense to take out these loans - then medical school might move towards a model where even if you want to go, you might not be able to because its not affordable.

I don't know if any of this will happen, but paying 60-70 per year for medical school and financing everything might not be a good financial decision. I know when I interviewed at a certain private medical school in Philadelphia a couple of years ago the average debt of a graduating medical student was 340k - thats a lot of ching to strap on your back for uncertain equity - especially when you have a minimum of 3 years of making very little income.

Members don't see this ad.

Worth mentioning is the massive baby boomer influx going to start soon
In addition to influx of immigrants

Half that list is incorrect

Msu is mentioned???

The new school influx won't be seen 10 years after they start

Anything from the 2007 date n below will SLOWLY make an impact

Keep opening more schools esp DO

I'm for it

There has been some debate about whether or not "that guy who ranked orthopedics as his only match choice and didn't end up matching" is representative of the overall pool of US allopathic seniors who don't end up successfully matching. To answer that question:

http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2012.pdf

Go to the chart on page 33, titled, "Percentages of Unmatched U.S. Seniors and Independent Applicants Who Ranked Each Specialty as Their Only Choice, 2012."

78.6% of unmatched US allopathic seniors in 2012 ranked one of the following as their ONLY choice:

Derm (8.2%)
Neurosurgery (9.7%)
Rad-Onc (15.3%)
Ortho (18.1%)
Otolaryngology (14.3%)
Plastic Surgery (9.3%)
Diagnostic Radiology (1.8%)
Anesthesiology (1.9%)

In summary: yes, the majority of US allopathic seniors who don't match tend to be the ones that only rank one highly competitive specialty and nothing else. So long as you're a US allopathic student and don't make any crazy choices like this, you should be fine. Stop freaking out about all these new schools!

Ahahahhah nice find

Members don't see this ad :)
There has been some debate about whether or not "that guy who ranked orthopedics as his only match choice and didn't end up matching" is representative of the overall pool of US allopathic seniors who don't end up successfully matching. To answer that question:

http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2012.pdf

Go to the chart on page 33, titled, "Percentages of Unmatched U.S. Seniors and Independent Applicants Who Ranked Each Specialty as Their Only Choice, 2012."

78.6% of unmatched US allopathic seniors in 2012 ranked one of the following as their ONLY choice:

Derm (8.2%)
Neurosurgery (9.7%)
Rad-Onc (15.3%)
Ortho (18.1%)
Otolaryngology (14.3%)
Plastic Surgery (9.3%)
Diagnostic Radiology (1.8%)
Anesthesiology (1.9%)

In summary: yes, the majority of US allopathic seniors who don't match tend to be the ones that only rank one highly competitive specialty and nothing else. So long as you're a US allopathic student and don't make any crazy choices like this, you should be fine. Stop freaking out about all these new schools!

Well that about wraps up this thread :laugh:

I think it is worth pointing out that there is an education bubble on - federal loans are financing a lot of these new schools, and most, if not all, of these new schools rely almost completely on tuition to finance their operation. This is a very dangerous situation for a newly opened medical school, as I believe Commonwealth has found out recently.

People, not neccessarly medical school graduates, are starting to default on these loans - especially those who are taking out massive loans for online education. All that has to happen is more people defaulting and the underwriting will tighten up and people won't be able to get those 350K loans anymore - bad things will happen as a result. Also, at some point, the interest rates are going to rise to the point where it might not make sense to take out these loans - then medical school might move towards a model where even if you want to go, you might not be able to because its not affordable.

I don't know if any of this will happen, but paying 60-70 per year for medical school and financing everything might not be a good financial decision. I know when I interviewed at a certain private medical school in Philadelphia a couple of years ago the average debt of a graduating medical student was 340k - thats a lot of ching to strap on your back for uncertain equity - especially when you have a minimum of 3 years of making very little income.

This is exactly right on the money. The primary reason for the expansion in all of higher education is the federal government's subsidy of it all. "How much do you need per year? 60K? 70K? 100K? No problem! Here's the money--enjoy!"

As in everything else, whenever the federal government tries to overhaul, control or monopolize something it becomes a complete disaster. The student loan bubble is just like the housing bubble. What do you think will happen now that the ACA has passed? Another federal disaster waiting.

Bump.... added some more ridiculous med schools to the list.

How many of you have heard of "College of Henricopolis"

Yeah, thats what I thought, I havent heard of it either. I'm sure they will provide SPECTACULAR clinical rotations in thier podunk town of 13,000 residents. Maybe you could get a rotation with Uncle Jim Billy Bob's Dental Clinic.