Updated New Schools List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to point out for those of you who are planning to apply during the next application cycle that I've updated the new schools list in the FAQs.

This information can also be found on AACP's website.

Members don't see this ad.

how many pharmacy schools are there now?

Members don't see this ad :)
bbmuffin said:
how many pharmacy schools are there now?

97 (including all accredited, candidate status, pre-candidate status, and all new schools scheduled to open in the fall of 2006). This does not include UH-Hilo (proposed for 2007) or University of North Texas or University of Findlay since I can't find proposed opening dates for these last two.

Don't forget this one.
Applications should be available sometime this week. They are winding down the dean search now. They should have pre-candidate status once a dean is named. Classses to begin Fall 2006.

The campus will be adjacent to the Quillen College of Medicine on the beautiful VA Hospital grounds. ETSU is just across the street from the VA and a large regional hospital (in addition to the VA hospital) sits adjacent to the new College of Pharmacy building. It's a great setup.

va.jpg

A building on the historic VA hospital campus.

Just so you know you're dealing with a good crew, the former Med School dean is now the President of the university. He did a lot for Quillen in his days there, and he's working to make ETSU one of the best universities in the nation for healthcare education. I think they'll do it right. I know it will be a great school when completed.

In reference to Quillen College of Medicine:
The James H. Quillen College of Medicine at East Tennessee State University is ranked seventh in the nation for excellence in rural medicine education by U.S. News & World Report in its "Best Graduate Schools" 2006 edition.

For several consecutive years, ETSU has been ranked among the top 10 schools in the country for rural medicine. U.S. News also ranked ETSU in the top 25% of medical schools for primary care education. Rankings for rural medicine, family medicine, and many other specialties are determined based on surveys sent to medical school deans and senior academic officials across the country.

DHG said:
Don't forget this one.
Applications should be available sometime this week. They are winding down the dean search now. They should have pre-candidate status once a dean is named. Classses to begin Fall 2006.

The campus will be adjacent to the Quillen College of Medicine on the beautiful VA Hospital grounds. ETSU is just across the street from the VA and a large regional hospital (in addition to the VA hospital) sits adjacent to the new College of Pharmacy building. It's a great setup.

va.jpg

A building on the historic VA hospital campus.

Just so you know you're dealing with a good crew, the former Med School dean is now the President of the university. He did a lot for Quillen in his days there, and he's working to make ETSU one of the best universities in the nation for healthcare education. I think they'll do it right. I know it will be a great school when completed.

In reference to Quillen College of Medicine:
The James H. Quillen College of Medicine at East Tennessee State University is ranked seventh in the nation for excellence in rural medicine education by U.S. News & World Report in its "Best Graduate Schools" 2006 edition.

For several consecutive years, ETSU has been ranked among the top 10 schools in the country for rural medicine. U.S. News also ranked ETSU in the top 25% of medical schools for primary care education. Rankings for rural medicine, family medicine, and many other specialties are determined based on surveys sent to medical school deans and senior academic officials across the country.

I wonder why they aren't on AACP's website then...

FutureRxGal said:
97 (including all accredited, candidate status, pre-candidate status, and all new schools scheduled to open in the fall of 2006). This does not include UH-Hilo (proposed for 2007) or University of North Texas or University of Findlay since I can't find proposed opening dates for these last two.
wow...it took you four months to answer a question! Our mods are awesome! :smuggrin: ;)

FutureRxGal said:
I wonder why they aren't on AACP's website then...
I wondered that too. I think they have to have a dean in place before they will have precandidate status. I know that the Tennessee Higher Education council gave approval in July (required), and Tennessee Board of Regents approved it (required). They already have the building and a lot of the faculty are coming from the Med school pharmacology dept.

This is posted on AACP's website, in the Job Postings section:
College of Pharmacy Founding Dean
East Tennessee State University
Johnson City, Tennessee

East Tennessee State University (ETSU), an education and research intensive academic health center dedicated to improving the health of citizens in rural communities, invites applications and nominations for a visionary leader to guide its newly approved college of pharmacy in its transition to being a fully accredited college of pharmacy. The new college of pharmacy, which will enroll its first students in the fall of 2006, will be developed from a strong tradition of community-based, interdisciplinary programs across its Health Sciences Division. The university is seeking an individual with senior leadership experience who possesses strong leadership, organizational, fiscal, communication, and interpersonal skills. The Founding Dean must have the vision and ability to establish an infrastructure that supports a strong community-based college of pharmacy. Additional information about the College of Pharmacy and ETSU can be found at http://www.etsu.edu/pharmacy.

Applicants must possess an earned doctorate in a health-related field; a distinguished record of scholarly achievement appropriate for appointment as a tenured associate or full professor in an academic department in the college; and/or senior-level administrative experience in a pharmacy school or health-related institution or industry. A full position announcement is available at http://www.etsu.edu/pharmacy/positions.asp.

The position is available immediately. Review of applications will begin July 15, 2005, pending successful review and approval of the ETSU College of Pharmacy proposal by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission at its July 14, 2005, meeting. Applicants should submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of three references to the Search Committee for Dean of Pharmacy at [email protected]. ETSU is an EEO/AA employer..

No matter what anyone says, new schools scare me because of the accrediation factor. Since a school is not fully accredited until the first class graduates, there is some chance that you could be studying hard for 4 years for nothing. It probably won't happen, but there's a chance.

Thanx FutureRXgal for making a list... I find this board so informative :) :D :thumbup: