Updated numbers after board 2 failees were dropped?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckjets

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So any of you aficionados know the exact final numbers after people were dropped? I emailed the CASPR folks to find out, but if any of you know feel free to share. I will when I get a reply.

Members don't see this ad.

Last I heard it was:

511 entry level positions ( includes the 11 lost from the four programs recently not taking residents)
570 graduates for 2013 ( looks like most students from the schools passed the retake, but they won't release that info until the scramble)

Does not include previous years.

If most students passed the retake...and if more spots close..

it seems this years students did way better than last year after the second attempt. Which is good, but..may seem like the shortage that no one aknowledges because boards took care of it before/now may actually be an issue because they didn't expect the retesters to actually pass. Oops.

511 entry level positions ( includes the 11 lost from the four programs recently not taking residents)

The number of funded positions was 559 in February according to the COTH. Did you get the 511 number from them or somewhere else?

it seems this years students did way better than last year after the second attempt. Which is good, but..may seem like the shortage that no one aknowledges because boards took care of it before/now may actually be an issue because they didn't expect the retesters to actually pass. Oops.

The residency shortage issue is slightly more complex than this, but boards pass rates do play a role.

A big picture problem continues to be that the year to year podiatry student graduating class size is still highly variable.

Until all 9 schools take responsibility for only admitting students who graduate and pass the APMLE at a more consistent rate, predicting graduate numbers and needed residency positions numbers will continue to be a source of frustration.

Here is one part of the problem in a nutshell:

If residency positions were created and opened to take every eligible student from 2013 and those re-applying, lets say 600 total, that would make the only applicants next year those graduating in the class of 2014.

There would be a very large number of positions (roughly 70, could be more) left open next cycle simply because the class of 2014 is already much smaller than 2013. Even if the attrition rate was 0% between now and then, it would be impossible to fill every position because the class is smaller.

If the class of 2015 was also smaller than 2013, or had a higher than average attrition rate, and therefore didn't fill every open position again, many of the positions created just 2 years earlier could have their CMS funding pulled because they were unfilled for 2 consecutive cycles.

If the class of 2016 was larger or had a lower than average attrition rate, then there is a chance that a "shortage" would exist again, even though a surplus of positions actually existed for 2 previous cycles.

There needs to be more real work done on this issue at every level but I think it starts on campus. If class sizes were hard capped based on each individual schools performance (graduation rate and board pass rates) schools would have incentive to bring in only higher quality students or see their allowed class size continue to be cut. It pays to be a winner.

As the quality of student consistently matriculating into podiatry school increases, the attrition rate will go down. More importantly in this context though, it will also stabilize and one variable in the current residency shortage mess equation would be reduced.

I'm more excited today about my career in podiatry than I was when I started school, there is a lot of room for this profession to grow and it's the students right now who will be the leaders, both on campus and in professional organizations.

We will know a lot more after the dust settles on the match and the scramble, hopefully our speculation about a potential shortfall this cycle turns out to be off base.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
No need to quote the entire above post to say that it's spot on. Any shortage sucks but most of the SDN outbursts have been either inaccurate or misdirected.

It's just too bad that the CPME does not have more regulatory, or rather, disciplinary power. They shouldn't HAVE to, but the students' best interests (or the profession's for that matter) are not always in mind with every admission decision.

To the op:

The 599 was projected funded/ rescue fund insured, but the ones i had were from COTH..

I have no idea about the difference in numbers unless they took in account how many entry levels available, which would make sense, but not all of those were funded.

We should know next week.