Do residency programs see number of attempts for apmle part 1 and 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aresnebula

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering if residency directors will see that I failed boards part 1 the first time? I am filling out my app and noticed a section where NMS directly gets the scores from Prometric along with the number of attempts. I am really worried now because I have my eye on some mid-upper tier programs and I am afraid that they won't rank me after seeing that I failed boards. I am working really hard at my externships (literally the first one in and the last one out), however, I feel like it will be a huge turn off for those programs once they see I failed boards along with my already garbage GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like the perfect future candidate for ABPM with CAQ in total toenail replacement surgery

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I.e. IF I even pass ABPM in the first place.........
You just have to put the time in for national boards or any boards.

I study best solo... occasionally near others (but minimal interaction). A bit of quizzing with friends helps in small doses.

Either way, you have to put in the time. How much time that is depends on your memory, aptitude, interest level, how well you did in the original classes, etc. Grab the earplugs, leave the phone in the car, d/c all internet and such and just use the powerpoints or the textbook/notes. You only have to do each part once, GL.

Yes they do see it on your application for residency. Both part 1 and part 2. I remember seeing an Ohio student who failed part 2 5 times over 4 years when I looked over applications my third year of residency.

I though to myself "this person should've graduated residency before I even started school."

I'm not sure if you're just applying for externships.

Yes they do see it on your application for residency. Both part 1 and part 2. I remember seeing an Ohio student who failed part 2 5 times over 4 years when I looked over applications my third year of residency.

I though to myself "this person should've graduated residency before I even started school."

My mistake. During our screening I wasn't privy to that information.

So is failing part 1 once seen as a bad thing by the program even if I have externed there?

So is failing part 1 once seen as a bad thing by the program even if I have externed there?

Honestly one should not even fail these garbage board exams. They are testing for minimal competency. Our program filtered out students that failed part 1 or 2 for interviews. The APMLE is nowhere near the level of difficulty as the USMLE despite what your schools tell you. Imagine if the APMLE was scored similar to the USMLE and in turn the scores are used to gauge which residency programs you qualify for.

Edit: I’m not bitter or sour. I’ve experienced everything in my young career and speaking from experience on the other side. I trained at a large academic/hospital system, worked in a private ortho group and now in a large MSG/HMO system. I’m just disappointed the profession continues to go in the wrong direction with people like Doug Richie spewing completely false information and perpetuating a false sense of reality. I enjoy what I do, it is very rewarding. But seriously - pod school curriculum and these board exams are nowhere near the caliber of traditional medical school. You’re telling me y’all can function on the same exact level during your wards rotations as internal med residents? Don’t @ me. Vent over.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
Hard to say. That's going to be entirely dependant on the person looking at applications. Maybe they really liked you? Maybe they don't care about boards? Just do your best. You're going to find a place and end up doing fine.

I am just wondering if residency directors will see that I failed boards part 1 the first time? I am filling out my app and noticed a section where NMS directly gets the scores from Prometric along with the number of attempts. I am really worried now because I have my eye on some mid-upper tier programs and I am afraid that they won't rank me after seeing that I failed boards. I am working really hard at my externships (literally the first one in and the last one out), however, I feel like it will be a huge turn off for those programs once they see I failed boards along with my already garbage GPA.

You will match somewhere. Make sure to visit programs other than the ones you are doing an externship. Be smart about your rankings when the time comes. Study harder and pass part 2 on your first try. It's def possible, good luck!

Do they see number of attempts for apmle? I don’t know. They should. I think its valid to take board exam failure into consideration.

I tricked my residency program by taking the exam 10 times. This way they just assumed I took it 1 time but there was a typo.