Updated percentage of Tufts MBS students accepted to medical schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djherse

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know of any updated stats of Tufts MBS students that have been accepted to medical schools. I know last year the numbers were low (as expected) but now that people have spent 2 years in the programe and graduated hopefully more have been accepted. Just trying to compare what the Tufts graduate acceptance rate might be with respect to BU's stealler acceptance rate after completion of their programe

Members don't see this ad.

Any graduated Tufts MBS ppl around who might have some info???

Hey, I just finished the Tufts MBS program and these are the "rumors" to the best of my knowledge. 52 people started the program and 50 finished the program. At orientation, we were told not to apply to medical school for this past cycle (I unfortunately went with this advise). Despite this, around half of the people in the class (25 give or take) still applied to start this fall. Out of this, I know of 13 people who have already been accepted to start medical school in August of this year. Tufts did send out a supplemental letter for students who applied this past cycle to tell other schools about the program, and how the particular student was doing.

Tufts gave out interviews to over half of the 25 people that did apply despite the fact that we don't get our guaranteed interviews till this fall. Multiple people at Tufts have said that more than the top 25% will be given interviews for this next year too.

On another note, some of the people that didn't apply for this past cycle are getting their MCAT scores back right now. I personally went from a 31 to a 36, a friend of mine went from a 28 to a 35, and another guy in our class went from a 28 to a 34. The school does a good job prepping the students for the MCAT if you want to jump up a few points.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask, I have plenty of free time at my new job.

Members don't see this ad :)
^

Count me in on the MCAT list. 29M->34Q (12s in BS and PS).

BTW, since our class (started last fall) was the inaugural class for the Tufts MBS program there are no stats on acceptances for people with a degree from the program. I imagine it will be pretty decent though after all is said and done.

They do give a princeton review course as part of the program that definitely did help. For the biological sciences section, the coursework goes over all the material needed for the MCAT in such depth that it makes that section a lot easier for you. With less time needed for biology material, it frees up more studying for the other sections.

I also felt a lot less nerves going into this MCAT than I did for the previous ones. We had so many important tests over the year that you almost get used to performing on big tests. Other than these factors its hard to say exactly why all of us are doing well, but I have not talked to anyone who has retaken the MCAT that did not improve significantly. Maybe some others can throw out some reasons why they improved.

Hey genswim, you mentioned that some of the kids that applied during the year they did the program got an interview at Tufts even though it wasnt the guarenteed interview. Do you know about how many interviewed at Tufts, if any of them got in and how they performed in the program?

I am enrolled in the MBS program for this fall and am trying to gather as much information as possible before I apply this year. The more I learn about the MBS the more I think it is a great opportunity!

Do you happen to know if there were any pre-dental students in your class?

Hey genswim, you mentioned that some of the kids that applied during the year they did the program got an interview at Tufts even though it wasnt the guarenteed interview. Do you know about how many interviewed at Tufts, if any of them got in and how they performed in the program?

I am enrolled in the MBS program for this fall and am trying to gather as much information as possible before I apply this year. The more I learn about the MBS the more I think it is a great opportunity!

There were around 15 people or so in the program who applied to Tufts and received interviews. To date, there are six people that I know who are attending Tufts medical school from our class. Most of the others have received acceptances at other schools. From what I observed, the interviewees varied in their performance in the program. Only one or two were at the very top of the program. That is not to say that the others weren't doing well though. With all that in mind, I would tell everyone in the program to apply to Tufts next year. You are not guaranteed anything, but it is still worth it.

Overall it was a great experience, you should be excited. The classes are interesting, and the advisors in the program try to be as helpful as possible.

I will actually be at your orientation, so hopefully I meet all you new MBS students then.

Do you happen to know if there were any pre-dental students in your class?

From what I know, there was a person who was considering both dental and medical school. Many of the classes that the first year medical students and dental students take are nearly identical at Tufts, so they will be helpful to both pre-dental and pre-med students.

Although the program is a little more oriented towards pre-med, they are very friendly to pre-dental students as well. Separate advising sessions were available to get help more oriented toward pre-dental students if anyone wanted it. The program director has taught at the dental school for 25+ years too. I am pretty sure he sat on the dental school admissions board before starting the program, so he can be a valuable asset as well. Hope this helps.

Do any of the classes you take transfer to M1? Also you would say this is a very competitive atmosphere? is there much of an advantage to the tufts program rather than just taking UG classes? I already have a 3.4 gpa, but I may need to retake the MCAT.

Do any of the classes you take transfer to M1? Also you would say this is a very competitive atmosphere? is there much of an advantage to the tufts program rather than just taking UG classes? I already have a 3.4 gpa, but I may need to retake the MCAT.

From what I remember, you can either test out of up to 3 classes per semester or 3 for the whole year. It was brought up at the beginning of the program, and I can't quite remember what was said. If I go to Tufts, I will repeat all of the classes to keep my prep up for the boards, but that is just a personal preference.

The program itself was not easy. As far as I know, only 1 of the 50 people finished with a 4.0. There was a small handful who finished in the 3.9ish range too. I did not find that people were competitive with each other to the point where it became a negative. Everyone obviously wanted to do well, but there wasn't anyone stealing other people's notes etc. I often studied with other people when it was necessary, and was given friends notes if I was forced to miss a class. I thought that for the nature of the program (25% get auto interviews), everyone was pretty friendly.

Doing any SMP program can be an advantage if you do well. It is very hard to move your undergraduate GPA more than a few small percentage points after 4 years of classes. At Tufts, you will definitely be given strong consideration if you do well in the program. They told me that doing a program like this shows that you are really dedicated to getting into medical school.

When I entered the program, I was not going to retake my MCAT. After finishing the first semester, I changed my mind and retook the exam in May. As I stated earlier, all of the people in our program who retook the test saw considerable improvement.

I hope this helps, if you have more questions ask away.

Im just scared that if for some reason I have trouble being in the top 25 % of the class, this will do more damage than good? Am I being realistic...what would you say the minimum GPA is, to still maintain yourself as a good candidate for med school at this program?

Im just scared that if for some reason I have trouble being in the top 25 % of the class, this will do more damage than good? Am I being realistic...what would you say the minimum GPA is, to still maintain yourself as a good candidate for med school at this program?

Although being in the top 25% is certainly helpful, it is by no means the only way to get into Tufts. Of the accepted students in my class, only 2 or 3 were in the top 25%. I also know that not all of the people who were accepted at other schools were in the top 25%. I have heard reliable rumors that someone on the adcom said that a 3.5 or above in the program is beneficial to an applicant.

So you would say that keeping a 3.5 or better would be "solid"? Also, just by getting into this program do you think it helps your chances at getting into Tufts Med? Am still trying to decide on whether or not I should apply to med schools this cycle.

So you would say that keeping a 3.5 or better would be "solid"? Also, just by getting into this program do you think it helps your chances at getting into Tufts Med? Am still trying to decide on whether or not I should apply to med schools this cycle.

Saying a 3.5 is a "solid" score is a good way of putting it. From what I was told, if your MCAT score is a 30 or above, you will have a legitimate shot at getting into Tufts with a 3.5 or above. For each MCAT point under that, you will have to do a little better in the program to feel good about your chances. Remember though, you are constantly surrounded by your prof's and people on ADCOMS. So if someone acts like a jerk, or is constantly begging for every point on exams, that person will be noticed in a bad way. If you are polite, engaging in class, and helping classmates out, that will certainly help you. The year is a great way for them to see how you will handle the stress of the situation.

Getting in and completing the program definitely will help you get into Tufts medical school. That can be seen by the number of people in our class who got accepted to TSOM this year and were rejected in previous years. We have been told countless times by many "people in the know" that Tufts loves their own.

I would apply to medical school this cycle if you can afford it. I would only pick a few schools that you really want to get into and try to finish those secondaries before school starts. For example, pick your state school(s), Tufts, and a couple of private schools that your numbers match up fairly well against. I did not apply last year and it was a mistake.