Updates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoctor87

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just wondering, when is it appropriate/what is significant enough to send an update?
It feels really weird to just not do anything after an interview...to those who have been accepted, is this typical?
When are letters of interest appropriate (if at all?)
I don’t foresee anything significant happening for me in the next few months in terms of research/job/school so I probably just need to sit back and wait right?
Thanks and good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! Just wondering, when is it appropriate/what is significant enough to send an update?
It feels really weird to just not do anything after an interview...to those who have been accepted, is this typical?
When are letters of interest appropriate (if at all?)
I don’t foresee anything significant happening for me in the next few months in terms of research/job/school so I probably just need to sit back and wait right?
Thanks and good luck everyone!

My impression is that it's advised to sent updates if you have significant pieces like publications, a new leadership role, things that can potentially enhance your application but for example, if you already have an excellent publication record, an update on getting another publication probably won't move the needle.
I think most people wait until maybe closer to the spring but I may be wrong on this

Reactions: 1 user
You have 5 types of overlapping letters to that can be sent to a medical admission committee

Updates: new info you want to make the committee aware of. The information should be worthwhile and significant. Some schools encourage these buy many schools discourage or list policies not accepting updates.
Thank you: after interview
Letter of Interest: Typically, a post-interview but pre-decision letter that can reiterate and reinforce the school would be a good fit, usually with information you learned from your interview. This usually does not include a promise to attend if selected.
Letter of Intent: Typically written by applicants who have been accepted by one school but are on WL at another preferred school, outlining the reasons why you prefer it. There is little to scant evidence that these are particularly effective. It should be noted these are thought to have even less impact for those who are just on WL.

I will add one other type that is rarely used any more, the Reconsideration Letter: This is an applicant rejected pre-interview who has a large anomaly in their academic background that can be viewed through mitigating circumstances and asks to be reconsidered. With the non-screened/minimally pre-screened secondaries, there are plenty of opportunities for an applicant to express these circumstances.
Thank you, this is so helpful!
My biggest question is about the Letter of Interest - if a school hasn't explicitly outlined their policies about whether or not they accept these, should we send them? And when would it be a good time to send them? (like, would a month after the interview be appropriate? or should I wait until, say, a month before decision release?)
And, are these (letters of interest) necessary/important?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, this is so helpful!
My biggest question is about the Letter of Interest - if a school hasn't explicitly outlined their policies about whether or not they accept these, should we send them? And when would it be a good time to send them? (like, would a month after the interview be appropriate? or should I wait until, say, a month before decision release?)
And, are these (letters of interest) necessary/important?
Thank you!
April 30th, if you are waitlisted.

These letters have no effect on acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
A good time to send these letters is never. Most applicants cannot write these letters without sounding at best unprofessional and at worst, whiny, desperate, needy, etc. very few students have anything worthwhile to update or mention. If you had a paper accepted, I would hope submitting a paper was mentioned at interview or in research section of EC. Any new position would have few hours worth mentioning.

If you write one KEEP IT BRIEF! A few sentences or bullet points with just the facts for updates. If you feel the need for LOI and think you can write something professional, you can. This should be clear, specific, and follows pattern ir theme in primary, secondary and interview. I cant imagine anything you can bring up new other than acceptance elsewhere and WL at this school. Again KEEP IT SHORT!
Thank you, I appreciate how honest you are. I will just sit back and wait!