updating honors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruinkid

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
just found out i got another award. how do i update this? i mean how do i let all of the schools know? can i do it through amcas?

Members don't see this ad.

one award aint gonna do shi@ for you unless its an award from the surgeon general or something crzy. i am in the same preid. here and just said screw it.. i mean honestly one award cannot make or break ur.. if anything probably makes u look concieted if your going to lenghts to let all the schools know.. my .05 is forget it

hey one award might not do good for u or it could help u tremendously, like those people on the border line of the waitlist, now if only they added that extra award, so add it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't hurt. I don't think it necessarily makes you look conceited. I mean, you are giving them more information to evaluate you, and it seems like it could help for waitlists...

Incidentally...one of my friends won the Rhodes. That made some schools really like her. She even took August MCATs, so she was behind in the process, and she didn't even have the highest grades of people around here. I assume she did pretty decent on the MCAT, but we don't really talk about scores around here so much.

so my question is,
how do you update it?

probably through amcas. you'll probably have to resubmit or something.

<<hey guys,
just found out i got another award. how do i update this? i mean how do i let all of the schools know? can i do it through amcas?>>

First, follow the AMCAS or schools' instructions. :)

If there are no specific instructions, then call the schools. Let them know that you wish to update your application, so that you may be considered a more qualified candidate.

If you can send a letter to the admissions office, photocopy the award, and write a formal letter addressed to the Admissions Committee, expressing your desire to update your application.
Write something like this...

Dear Admissions Committee:

I have recently been presented with Award X by So and So. It (describe accomplishment) and would like to update my application in light of this achievement. Please call me or e-mail me if my application can be updated. I worked tirelessly for this honor, and I will do whatever it takes to earn a seat at your medical school.

Respectfully,

bruinkid
School
City, State

Or something like that. Hope this helps!