Updating resume for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

closertofine

Emerging from hibernation
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on applying for a research project this summer at my med school, and I have to send a resume out to the PI's of projects I'm interested in. But I haven't changed my resume since...hmmm...well, the AMCAS, I guess...definitely not since med school started.

So does anyone know what kinds of things you would add to a resume after starting med school? Student group participation, etc? Any ideas on how or if to change the format? (I'm not so good at just "winging it" for these kinds of things!) :p Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As a medical student you are supposed to have a CV, not a resume. The main difference is that a CV only has stuff related to science and the like on it. Hope that helps.

I still have both a CV and a resume. As was said the CV is limited to academic material and the resume incorporates community activities etc. For internal uses (e.g. letters of rec, med school profiles) I use the resume as it gives a more complete picture of what I am doing. For outside uses (applications etc) I use the CV.

Things you should add: teaching experiences, lectures/talks you have given, presentations you have given at meetings, posters/papers, professional society memberships, research experience.

I am sure there are some more, but this is all I can think of off the top of my head.

sorry to bring up this old thread, but i was wondering about this. is this still valid? i have a college resume with lots of amcas stuff on it, but CVs seem to want only a little information about each topic (or none) -is that typical? also, how old can the information I put on the CV? plz help!!!! i need submit this resume by today, so it would be awesome if I found out.

also this website gives info, is it accurate? Thanks!!!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sg=AFQjCNE1L_vtSI92MLHzGjpQ8ozlEX5sGA&cad=rja