Updating schools on gap year activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyu1526

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I honestly wasn't sure what I'd be doing during my gap year, and kind of left it to chance. This past week was a good one; I ended up landing a research position at the dental school of my undergrad as well as a paid position at a dentist's office as a part time receptionist/dental assistant.

Is there a way to update schools on this/is it even worth emailing them about it? Not quite sure how much of an impact it would even really make if they knew. I think it will be worthwhile to talk about in an interview, but not sure if it would change me getting the interview in the first place or not. Do you guys have any recommendations or advice?

Thanks so much in advance, and good luck to everyone applying. The waiting is torture.

Members don't see this ad.

I would hold off until you get to the interview. It's always nice to have something new to add to your resume while interviewing.

The exception would be, for example, if your #1 dream/state school doesn't offer you an interview after your application has been under review for a while. Then I would give them a call to give them more info that might help get your foot in the door.

I would hold off until you get to the interview. It's always nice to have something new to add to your resume while interviewing.

The exception would be, for example, if your #1 dream/state school doesn't offer you an interview after your application has been under review for a while. Then I would give them a call to give them more info that might help get your foot in the door.

That is a really good advice. I am in the same situation as well, but not really sure how my volunteer/work experiences will be for the upcoming month.