Upenn Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't be sad, LKY. Being on the waiting list means you qualified for the program. Penn is doing its best to find a spot/seat for you.......

I am sure you have also tried other schools such as BU, UMN and UMichigan. They either have more seats or just started the process. You should have no problem getting into one of those programs with your qualification.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas.

Thanks for the support, I understand that UPenn is trying to do the best thing for all of us. I just feels that I was so nervous because I like the program so much that makes my brain freeze and can't concentrate during the intv. Well, I wish all of you learn from my mistake...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
I applied to Upenn in mid december. I want to know if some one is being called for interview in Janaury. Secondly are there there any seats left.

Hi
I want to know if some one is called for interview in Janaury. Secondly are there any seats left. I sent my application to Upenn in mid Dec.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have an interview call from upenn for 12th of jan.and for the number of seats left i have no clue.

cheers

they said they mailed me a letter.. many here mentioned that they got a phone call for interview.. i will try to be optimistic and think that is an interview call in mail..
my stats are 90/111(ibt)/3.36.:confused:

they said they mailed me a letter.. many here mentioned that they got a phone call for interview.. i will try to be optimistic and think that is an interview call in mail..
well i got the mail today and i got rejected...:(

well i got the mail today and i got rejected...:( they typed that letter on dec5th and i got the letter today (jan 3rd).. wow @ the process.

well i got the mail today and i got rejected...:( they typed that letter on dec5th and i got the letter today (jan 3rd).. wow @ the process.
Hi KSR, you have really good score, but upen is always unpredictable about the results, so you have not lost anything. be positive. Good luck to you.

thank u stelon... hope they will call me in BU and accept me.. thats the only other school i could apply for..

Sorry to hear the news, ksr. The posted scores of yours are very good so you should not have problem getting in BU provided they still have seats left. Since BU has a large class (~75 positions a year), I would imagine they be more accommodating.

Many have suggested that the penn selection process can be erratic. Well, in my opinion, there are still clues. For example, so far they have been selecting people that have high scores. In addition, those been selected seemed having some working experience in the USA. Being a DA or RDH for a period of time in the US did add value to the application. Finally, Penn (and in this case many others programs) emphasizes diverse student population. If you are from a less representated group, you will have certain advantage....

One last bullet point, since penn adopts rolling admission process. The early you hand in the application, the bigger chance you will have.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Sorry to hear the news, ksr. The posted scores of yours are very good so you should not have problem getting in BU provided they still have seats left. Since BU has a large class (~75 positions a year), I would imagine they be more accommodating.

Many have suggested that the penn selection process can be erratic. Well, in my opinion, there are still clues. For example, so far they have been selecting people that have high scores. In addition, those been selected seemed having some working experience in the USA. Being a DA or RDH for a period of time in the US did add value to the application. Finally, Penn (and in this case many others programs) emphasizes diverse student population. If you are from a less representated group, you will have certain advantage....

One last bullet point, since penn adopts rolling admission process. The early you hand in the application, the bigger chance you will have.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

one more point and the most important point: they like reapplicants!!!(unconditionally)
No matter how much score you got, they will accept you. If somebody can wait till next year, you will be Uppen's top pick!!
another hiden rule is: if you can find whatever job (like technician or postdoc) in Uppen(then you become curruent employee), you will get in no matter what score you have.(just like home game adventage)

thanks for the information KSR.I applied to upenn in mid dec & they told me they have mailed a letter for me too.so now i know what the letter contains!!!!!!!!.my stats r quite similar to urs-90/105/2.73.Atleast i dont have to b worried whats in the letter.thank u once again for alleviating the misery.Yes its very disappointing.:( (I heared they invite everyone for interview,not lucky few like us..............)

one more point and the most important point: they like reapplicants!!!(unconditionally)
No matter how much score you got, they will accept you. If somebody can wait till next year, you will be Uppen's top pick!!
another hiden rule is: if you can find whatever job (like technician or postdoc) in Uppen(then you become curruent employee), you will get in no matter what score you have.(just like home game adventage)

HI dentalcn,
how r u? when you say they like reapplicants UNCONDITIONALLY, does it mean that scores wunt matter much for a reapplicant????do you know of any reapplicants accepted so far with scores around 85? all those people accepted so far have scores over 90......what do u think??
i am a reapplicant, was interviewed last yr n rejected with 85, applied again this yr with same part 1 score and part 2 also now, part 2 score awaited, they said it can be sent later.what do you say?
also how can one get a job as a technician at upenn?

Members don't see this ad :)
thank u stelon... hope they will call me in BU and accept me.. thats the only other school i could apply for..
You will got a call from BU, dont worry , be happy.

Hi DentalCn

Not really UPenn will put a priority for reapplicants. I got an alternate list last year and also this year. It is nobody faults, things are getting more and more competitive nowadays. I think there are so many people who got 90's above, imagine if you are part of the committee members, you will choose the best from all of the applicants. It is just a luck. I don't think they have any hidden rules. It is true, they look at applicant in overall from boards score till your research and clinical experiences.

Hi DentalCn

Not really UPenn will put a priority for reapplicants. I got an alternate list last year and also this year. It is nobody faults, things are getting more and more competitive nowadays. I think there are so many people who got 90's above, imagine if you are part of the committee members, you will choose the best from all of the applicants. It is just a luck. I don't think they have any hidden rules. It is true, they look at applicant in overall from boards score till your research and clinical experiences.

Dear LKY,
What u said is true.. but how can one explain when they called a candidate with lower scores in all aspects (Nbde, toefl and GPA) for an interview.. I guess applying earlier does matter and also .. work experience in US I guess.. What are your stats? Where did you apply?

Hi DentalCn

I agree with LKY, Upen not put a priority for reapplicants. I got rejection twice without interview.

Just wondering if there are any females other than me joining the program this year? This is mainly for sharing an apartment with,on campus.

Please PM me.

Thanks,
VPG

HI dentalcn,
how r u? when you say they like reapplicants UNCONDITIONALLY, does it mean that scores wunt matter much for a reapplicant????do you know of any reapplicants accepted so far with scores around 85? all those people accepted so far have scores over 90......what do u think??
i am a reapplicant, was interviewed last yr n rejected with 85, applied again this yr with same part 1 score and part 2 also now, part 2 score awaited, they said it can be sent later.what do you say?
also how can one get a job as a technician at upenn?

Hi godbless,

What I said is based on the truth I know, but may not fit in all the cases. I do know some reapplicants got in in with much lower score(85--90) than fresh applicants. Also you can find this info by yourself by searching other threads. Even in this thread, some reapplications got in with 90, but please look at those fresh applicants....95+!!! didn't you notice that? What I meant is the reapplicants definately have more advantages than fresh applicants!
I also know the hiden rule that Uppen will give much advantage to its current employee...(whatever your job position is in Uppen)...I know someone got in with 83 or 85 with part1 and TOEFL is only 240....
I don't now what's your background...but I think it's easy to get a technician job in such a big universisty with thousands of labs....
good luck!

Hi godbless,

What I said is based on the truth I know, but may not fit in all the cases. I do know some reapplicants got in in with much lower score(85--90) than fresh applicants. Also you can find this info by yourself by searching other threads. Even in this thread, some reapplications got in with 90, but please look at those fresh applicants....95+!!! didn't you notice that? What I meant is the reapplicants definately have more advantages than fresh applicants!
I also know the hiden rule that Uppen will give much advantage to its current employee...(whatever your job position is in Uppen)...I know someone got in with 83 or 85 with part1 and TOEFL is only 240....
I don't now what's your background...but I think it's easy to get a technician job in such a big universisty with thousands of labs....
good luck!

Dentalcn,

We only know what we know. If a conclusion is reached just based on the scores posted on the SDN, then this conclusion can be inaccurate and sometimes very misleading.

Penn has 22 seats this year, only 10 people have declared acceptance on SDN so far. Does this mean only 10 were accepted? While, I would not hold my breath on this... The same applied to the scores, 95 + for Fresh applicants is only FACT for those who announced so far. And it should not be extrapolated to the entire group.

One more point, we turn to use previous experience to guide our prediction or judgement. There is nothing wrong with that, and it is the only way for us since we do not have any inside information. However, situation changes from year to year and the application criteria can be very fluid.

Take Penn as example: in the previous years, penn had over 30 slots, the competition was less just because the size of the class so people with 80 plus got in; this year it has just around 20 seats, the competition automatically becomes tougher, and we start to see only people with 90 + get in.

My point is: parital and incomprehensive facts do not lead to accurate and universal conclusion or prediction. I am sorry but that is the world we live in.

Dentalcn,

We only know what we know. If a conclusion is reached just based on the scores posted on the SDN, then this conclusion can be inaccurate and sometimes very misleading.

Penn has 22 seats this year, only 10 people have declared acceptance on SDN so far. Does this mean only 10 were accepted? While, I would not hold my breath on this... The same applied to the scores, 95 + for Fresh applicants is only FACT for those who announced so far. And it should not be extrapolated to the entire group.

One more point, we turn to use previous experience to guide our prediction or judgement. There is nothing wrong with that, and it is the only way for us since we do not have any inside information. However, situation changes from year to year and the application criteria can be very fluid.

Take Penn as example: in the previous years, penn had over 30 slots, the competition was less just because the size of the class so people with 80 plus got in; this year it has just around 20 seats, the competition automatically becomes tougher, and we start to see only people with 90 + get in.

My point is: parital and incomprehensive facts do not lead to accurate and universal conclusion or prediction. I am sorry but that is the world we live in.

Yes, you're right. What I said is NOT about this year, it happened last year and the year before last year... As I said, these "rules" probably don't fit into all the cases! Nobody tried to make an "universal conclusion" here, not less to say that it's impossible to make such a conclusion. I just tried to give a piece of info....which is "reapplicants have more advatages than fresh applications, and the same as "insider'" vs "outsider"...Hope it's not misleading...anyway, thanks for your clarification.

hi
i agree with dentalcn.........he was just trying to help and gave genuine advice that i beleive in after going through the grind for almost 2 yrs now..........reapplicants and inschool students hav a better chance but it doesnt fit for every case........there r other criteria too which are more important .

Upenn sent me a reject letter today.
My stats are
Part 1- 88
Toefl Ibt- 102
Wes- 3.76
Applied in mid-Dec.

i also got a rej letter from upenn..........:(

i also got a rej letter from upenn..........:(
My stats:
Part I.......95
iBT..........104
1 year of experience outside the US in private clinic + clinical work at the university, nothing in the US
I wasn't even invited for an interview.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Hi all ,
I had my interview on Jan 9th and they said the selected candidates will be informed by Fed-ex by 3rd week of jan.Ours was the 3rd last batch to be interviewed.
Wondering if anyone's received a reply as yet ?

:scared:

all the best to all the applicants...

-tan

Hi
I was also interview on Jan 9, got refusal today.

Hi all ,
I had my interview on Jan 9th and they said the selected candidates will be informed by Fed-ex by 3rd week of jan.Ours was the 3rd last batch to be interviewed.
Wondering if anyone's received a reply as yet ?

:scared:

all the best to all the applicants...

-tan

I was interviewed on Jan 9th too...have not heard anything this far. It seems strange that there seems to be no posts from people that were interviewed on the 11th & 16th of Jan. Wonder what is going on...please post your status folks...
Thanks!!! And all the best to those that are waiting!
Nita/Niv

I think I am the only one rejected yet of all those who were interviewed on Janaury 9th.

there are 2 more that we know of that were rejected ....

no clue on any acceptances ?!? :confused:

hey xerostomia, can i ask when did u get ur letter ?

Tan_dentist, I think xerostomia mentioned it on Jan 23rd, 2007.
Just crossing our fingers.

LKY is right, I got it on 23rd of Jan.