UPenn grade deflation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dad11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My son is considering applying ED to UPenn as a pre-med.

Is this a generally accurate ordering of schools he is considering, from most grade-deflated to most-inflated?

UChicago, Johns Hopkins, Cornell, UPenn, Columbia, Brown, Dartmouth, Duke

What is the general curve (median grade) in the following pre-med courses at UPenn?

biology (including upper level courses), biochemistry, general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, math, English, introductory psychology & sociology

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Is this a generally accurate ordering of schools he is considering, from most grade-deflated to most-inflated?

What is the general curve (median grade) in the following pre-med courses at UPenn?

biology (including upper level courses), biochemistry, general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, math, English, introductory psychology & sociology

you are a pretty knowledgeable dad, dad11. its almost not believable....

make sure that he goes to the most deflating school out there so he can be prepared for the hellfire of medical school

Members don't see this ad :)

Wait for your son to be accepted at these institutions first before worrying about grade deflation/inflation. All these elite institutions' acceptance rates hover around 10% or lower. Throughout my career I've encountered many people who worry about things they might not have to worry about or do research for.

A common example is when an applicant asks about a med school's interview format before receiving the interview invite.

Why isn't your son asking this? Don't be too involved as a parent, your kid needs to learn how to survive on their own.

I could tell my dad I'm going to john hopkins and he's say "cool when you coming home though?"

Reactions: 1 user