UPenn Post Bacc Program

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by premedw, Jan 28, 2009.

1. GGWatson

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    So I've read the majority of this thread, and I want to say thanks to robflanker and all the others who have given their time and advice, and for those who've asked questions - it's been tremendously helpful. I still have just a couple of questions/concerns that I want to put out there though...

My first question is, do CS students actually take all of their basic requirements with only other CS students? Someone said that a couple of years back in this thread, which surprised me as I thought that all courses for CS were taken with undergrads?

As far as concerns go, I've noticed a lot of people getting responses to their personal situations here so I figure I'll give it a go in the hopes for some sound advice - hopefully it helps others as well...

I was accepted to Penn's CS program in addition to UVM's program for fall 2014, but deferred to work as an EMT here in San Diego for the clinical experience and hours (1000 hrs so far) - been volunteering in an ER as well (roughly 60 hrs) and traveled to Guatemala in 2012 on a medical mission trip (80 hrs). I graduated in 2009 from Ithaca College with a Comm degree - GPA 3.36. Science GPA is around a 3.78 since I've only taken 5 undergrad science courses and did reasonably well in all - overall GPA is around a 3.41 I believe.

So finally, I'm having a difficult time deciding between Penn and UVM. Penn has a great reputation (generally, not necessarily the post-bacc), I have friends in the area, and family lives close by in MD. The UVM post-bacc seems to have a slightly better reputation, and sounds a bit easier academically, however I have zero family/friends in the area and my blood is thinner than water at this point. BTW, looking to go the MD route, likely into a surgical field.

Ultimately, yes, it's a personal decision... but I'm curious to hear if anyone's got anything to add about UPenn's CS program lately and their experience there. Or, should you have any info about UVM or anything else that doesn't necessarily serve the Penn feed, feel free to PM me as well.

Thanks!

#1551 GGWatson, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. robflanker

Resident [Any Field]
    1) CS students take most of their classes at night with CS students. Undergrads can petition the school to be allowed into our classes if they have extenuating circumstances. But its 97% CS/SS people, and undergrads take their classes during the day.

2) I haven't been there lately so i'll leave that to someone. Personally, I think Philly offers more job opportunities overall than UVM does, so say you don't get in first pass or need to get a job while taking classes then thats going to be a lot easier in Philly than Burlington.

4. GGWatson

Thanks, Rob. Much appreciated.

5. zero0

zero0 everything i hug dies

Medical Student
    Any SSP students who successfully linked out there care to share their experience? I'm wondering how feasible it actually is. The admissions people were very reluctant to share information about this.

6. robflanker

Resident [Any Field]
    Discussed at length in this thread. Virtually no-one links in general - those that do are pre-health. I've never heard of an SSP student linking. I looked into it and wasn't eligible for any of them

7. zero0

Medical Student
    Sounds about right...

Assuming the prereqs for RWJ are still a 3.2 cGPA from undergrad, 3.6 in the program, and 30 MCAT, I could qualify, but the odds are just terrible from what I gather. Securing linkage is tough enough but even then you still need to interview successfully and basically go through the entire application process. It's not much of a guarantee.

8. Yolanda

Pre-Medical
    I'm currently in the specialized studies program and I know one girl who is trying to link at Robert Wood Johnson but is definitely not banking on it. I think the biggest reason most students don't is because of the sparse options available to the specialized students and that linking is no guarantee of matriculation; might as well just work really hard and see how AMCAS goes.

The core students however have seem to utilize it much more frequently.

9. robflanker

Resident [Any Field]
    When I was there, for the RWJ link, you couldn't have ever had a C in a pre-req even if you repeated it and got a better grade. I got a C in orgo II, repeated it and got an A, but wasn't eligible for that reason. They are full of ticky tacky rules like that.

It's best to not bank on it or pick a program because of linking.

10. zero0

Medical Student
    Yeah, it looks like this program isn't for me. I don't necessarily even need a post-bac but I know some of them are as good as getting into med school with basically a pre-MS1 year tacked on--not the case with Penn it seems.

I'm really just trying to secure a med school seat for 2016. I won't take the MCAT until August, so programs like this are all I can apply to right now. I've already applied to Temple's post-bac and Touro-CA's MSMHS. Unfortunately there's not much more I can add to this list since I'm in the weird spot of having most of my pre-reqs done but not having taken the MCAT.

11. Fitzie

Pre-Medical
    I'm currently a student in the Penn core studies. Something to point out: Penn curves hard - most tests have an average of roughly 70 and they cap the A's given at 30% of the class in general and organic chemistry. Technically, you cannot apply to the Core Studies program if you have taken the medical pre-reqs, but any LPS student can sign up for core studies classes. I am currently being graded in Orgo II against at least 4 students (that I know of) that have already taken the full organic chemistry requirement (in a class of <30 students), and got into LPS courses to retake for a better grade, either through begging as an undergrad (seems to work pretty easily, I've yet to have a single class without at least a few Penn undergrads in it), by being an alumni of Penn (many of the alumni you will be competing against in gen-chem are engineers - my Gen Chem II+Lab class last summer was >50% undergrads/alumni) or by getting accepted to Specialized Studies and simply signing up for courses you aren't supposed to be taking. Penn seems to be a really good option if you are 100% sure coming in ahead of time that you are going to crush everything and everyone and want that little extra bit of prestige from the Ivy League name and the legitimately good research/clinical opportunities here.

12. sunshinesoup

I've browsed through this thread and the program website and I couldn't really find a specific answer to one of my questions about the Specialized Studies program. Do the courses you take in the SSP curriculum count towards your undergraduate GPA or does it count as a graduate GPA? My current undergrad stats are: cGPA of 3.68, sGPA 3.46, MCAT 33 (13V, 9p, 11B). Decent ECs but no research experience, decent LORs. I've applied to Temple ACMS and the Cincinnati SMP, but after talking to an alum of the Cincinnati program, it seems to me that an SMP would not be as helpful for me as just doing a program that would boost my undergrad GPA and increase my research experience. What do you guys think? Thanks!

13. robflanker

Resident [Any Field]
    Count towards your u grad gpa.

There is something else wrong with your app if you aren't getting in with your stats

14. sunshinesoup

Thanks!

I haven't applied to med school yet, I'm applying this cycle.

15. robflanker

Resident [Any Field]
    Save your money and do something else with your year off

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. sunshinesoup

Seriously? I don't think a 3.46 sGPA will cut it in med school applications... I wanted to do something like a medical scribe during my gap year if none of the programs worked, but I really feel unsure about the sGPA.

18. robflanker

Resident [Any Field]
    So take one or two classes at a local 4-year university while working. UPenn is $20k per year + housing which you don't need.

A scribe is a waste of time too - zero help or usefulness in med school. If you want to beef up your resume in regard to research then find a research gig at a big academic hospital, then take 1 or 2 classes at that university as a non degree student. You don't need all the things that come with this program, especially the cost.

3.46 sGPA is adequate

19. sunshinesoup

Hmmm, that sounds like a good plan. I wonder how easy it'll be getting a research position at an academic hospital...I'll be in Denver, CO this summer, and if I'm not doing any programs, I'll be staying there for the rest of the year, so I could try to find something at the Anschutz campus. I just don't want to not be able to find any research positions and then be screwed for my gap year. If I can't find any research positions, what else would you suggest doing? Continue volunteering at hospitals and other places and shadowing docs?

20. robflanker

Resident [Any Field]
    If u want to keep shadowing go for it, but after AMCAS goes out it, it wont make a difference.

Get a job, and make some money. Doesn't have to be in healthcare but it would be nice if it was. Could always get your EMT license and then find a job that way - not the most glamorous, and certainly not unique for med school apps anymore but its easy to do and pretty safe job market. Univ of Colorado med school is big enough - there should be positions available.

21. sunshinesoup

Thanks for all your advice!

22. babyface10111

Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone, I just wanted some advice.

I'm applying to the Upenn SSP program, but I was wondering if this would be a better option vs an SMP (Georgetown's)
    My stats are:
    3.35+ sGPA
    3.5 cGPA
    MCAT: 30-33

I heard raising that uGPA is the best thing to do in my situation.
    Are the classes at SSP easy/hard?

Thanks.

23. Fitzie

Pre-Medical
    For any students starting Penn Post-bac this summer, I am a Penn Core Studies student starting my second year (completed gen chem/orgo/bio and associated labs so far, taking physics over the summer and biochem/MCAT prep in the fall), and I have two rooms in the house I'm staying at available starting in May. Not only is my place ballin' and cheap, but you'd have someone nearby who got good grades throughout and can help you out with your studies and navigating the Penn post-bac. House is a recently renovated three story + furnished basement, 4BR/3.5 bath with brand new kitchen, hot-tub out back, roof deck, well-equipped home gym (power rack, bench, olympic barbell, plenty of weight) and a piano. 20-30 minute walk (I find it a really pleasant way to start my day) or <10 minute bike ride to Penn. Rent is $800/month and includes power/water/gas. Hit me up a [email protected] if you're interested.

24. pj412

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys!

I am thinking of applying to Upenn ssp program, since my gpa is below 3.0, and I really need to boost it up. Do you think this gpa is too low or is it worth a shot? Will upenn's program be any good at increasing sGPA if I do well in the science classes?

25. robflanker

Resident [Any Field]
    Probably will still need an SMP if u r sub 3.0

26. bcolema1

Pre-Medical
    Did anybody get a decision from the pre health core studies program? I had my interview on Monday but haven't heard anything yet.

27. baeh

Pre-Medical
    I interviewed 3/23 and got accepted 4/1 for Fall 2015 CS.
    Anyone else get in to CS program? I'm looking for roommates.

tarheel14 likes this.
  28. bcolema1

Pre-Medical
    I got in to the core studies program yesterday, but I'm deferring until next summer

29. bkm011

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone been accepted to Summer 2015 SSP? I was offered an interview today.

#1577 bkm011, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    j9260 likes this.
  30. kazill

Medical Student
    Hey team, just got my acceptance to the Specialized Studies Program today (4/27)! Finished my application 3/4, interviewed 4/13.

3.38 cGPA / 3.18 sGPA / 32 MCAT
    Strong shadowing/volunteering/research.

As of now it looks as though I will be graduating with a 3.47 cGPA and a 3.24 sGPA. Based off these numbers, I'm beginning to lean more towards a program such as UPenn rather than an SMP given that if I rock it I will be able to push my cGPA over 3.5 and my sGPA over 3.4.

Do any of the alums of the program have any commentary on how difficult it was to perform research during the program? I know that the classes are all in the evening, but did the heaviness of the course load make it a challenge to do good research simultaneously? I'm hoping to do some research with or tangental to UPenn's rad onc department.

j9260 likes this.
  31. robflanker

Resident [Any Field]
    Not too tough - I think I spent like 2-3 hours a day at most on school work, and I took a full course load.

And I had a job too

32. CRJP

Pre-Medical
    Hey there, I'm going to be starting the CS program this Summer with Bio courses. Does anyone have any experience with the different professors and teaching styles?

I am also planning to register for Fall courses as soon as possible as well. Thanks!

33. GGWatson

Anyone in the last few years take Chem 1 in the summer with Dmochowski/Topp? If so, any advice or words of wisdom would be much appreciated. Starting in a few weeks and looking to dial in study habits/techniques now.

34. kazill

Medical Student
    What kind of job did you have?

35. robflanker

Resident [Any Field]
    The research kind

baeh likes this.
  36. baeh

Pre-Medical
    When do classes begin for you?

37. baeh

Pre-Medical
    I found it's a lot easier to find volunteer positions than part-time research positions. I heard the post-bac listserves consistently post positions, so I'm not going to worry too much yet. Right now I'm set up to spend about 16-20 hours a week volunteering at clinical research labs and I'm worried if this will be too much to have on my plate with 3 classes and (hopefully) a job.

38. laurenls

Pre-Medical
    Hi! I am considering applying to this program for Spring 2016 (I was really hoping to start school in the fall, but I am worried about applying for fall admission this late in the game, even though the app isn't technically due until July...). Has anyone who has taken the GRE had success in getting in? I originally applied to PA school, so I didn't need to take the MCAT. I scored as well as I needed to to meet the requirements for PA, but it is not a competitive score in terms of regular graduate program admission. I was wondering, if anyone has taken it, what was their score range/percentile? I am planning on re-taking it this summer to hopefully make me a more competitive applicant to this program. Or would it be better to switch gears and just take the MCAT instead? Any help is appreciated!

39. eeeeems

Pre-Medical

hi Kazill! I was wondering what types of questions they asked you in the interview, and how it went overall. I was asked for an interview today for the pre-specialized health program starting this fall. Any input would be so appreciated!

thx,
    Emir

40. eeeeems

Pre-Medical
    Hi! i was wondering what kinds of questions they asked you in the interview//how you prepared?

best,
    Emir

41. baeh

Pre-Medical
    They had us all sit in a conference room and pulled us aside one by one to interview us. My interviewer asked me why I want to be a doctor, why I'd be a good candidate for Upenn, how I can show I'd do well in my studies, what are ethical issues I observe in health care, what kind of doctor I want to be, what population I want to work with, what experience I've had in health care, if I've had direct contact with patients during my experience.

latinclubimperatus and eeeeems like this.
  42. eeeeems

Pre-Medical
    Did you work in a research lab? and you were able to take four classes with labs?

Emir

43. eeeeems

Pre-Medical
    thanks Baeh. I have my interview next week and am starting to prepare..

44. goriku671

Pre-Medical
    When did you submit your app? Did you apply for the SSP?

I'm planning on finally submitting my app for the SSP tonight and I want to know how long they will take to get back to me.

45. robflanker

Resident [Any Field]
    Took 1 class that had a lab, and 3 other classes per semester.

And no, I did not work in a research lab. I'm not sure the specifics of my employment are relevant. I had a research based job and took a full course load both semesters I was in SSP.

46. goriku671

Pre-Medical
    Just submitted my application to SSP!!!
    Now, the wait. Anyone else applied recently?

47. baeh

Pre-Medical
    Can we make a facebook group for people who were accepted summer/fall 2015?

Schwann Lake likes this.
  48. goriku671

Pre-Medical
    Hey @baeh how long did it take upenn to get back to you after submitting your application online?

j9260 likes this.
  49. eeeeems

Pre-Medical
    hi hi. I applied on April 1 for SSP for fall 2015, and got an interview request the first week of May.

Hope this helps
    emir

j9260 likes this.
  50. eeeeems

Pre-Medical
    hey also was wondering.. what are the typical routes for students paying tuition. are there any governmental loans you can apply for? or is it only private

51. robflanker

Resident [Any Field]
    Never heard of anyone linking to PCOM, and only know one person who linked in general.

I am 5-ish years out of this program tho so i'm not the most current

52. goriku671

Pre-Medical
    Oh wow, so it will be about a month before I will potentially hear back from them. I was hoping it'll be faster than that...
    Thanks for the response emir!