UPenn Post Bacc Program

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by premedw, Jan 28, 2009.

1. CHoge25

Pre-Medical
    I have taken two classes and I enjoyed them both. They are definitely difficult classes but it is possible to get good grades if you put in the work. Just like in any school, talk to students and try to avoid some teachers who never seem to give out good grades.

2. MDinthemaking0324

Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know if this program offers Anatomy? I've seen physiology, but no Anatomy class.

3. j9260

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi all! I am finally stepping out of the lurking hideout.
    My application for SS was marked complete on 3/8/16, but I still haven't received any notice for an interview or rejection.
    A lot of you in this forum seem to have gotten an interview from a couple days after application was marked complete to a week.

I know it's only been 10 days, but I'm wondering if this means I'm leaning more towards rejection?

I'm so nervous because this is my top choice program. I also applied to PCOM, was reluctant to apply to more programs for financial reasons but am now wondering if I should quickly look into other programs before it's too late.

Update: Just saw that a couple ppl didn't get an interview invite until 15 days later or even a month. Whew! That's really relieving. I'm just wishing for the best! These nerves are no joke.

4. MDinthemaking0324

Pre-Medical
    My application was complete on a Friday and I received invitation for interview on the Monday right after, however I think as time goes by the get more applications and it takes longer. What are your stats if you dont mind me asking? @j9260

5. j9260

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    3.5 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, didn't do hot on the MCATs (low 20s twice in 2012 and a 23 in early 2015) - plan: strengthen sciences in post-bacc and not take the real exam until I score consistently above 510 on practices)...

I think my essays were strong because I reflected how much I want to work in medicine and how I've improved since undergrad and the latest MCAT exam I took. Strong shadowing, strong EC's, and am an active EMT.

I am worried my MCAT scores are holding me back...but I'm trying not to lose hope.

MDinthemaking0324 likes this.
  6. MDinthemaking0324

Pre-Medical

Do you have good SAT scores to send?

Honestly, I think you'll be fine. my GPA was lower and I used my SAT scores which was only 1740.

j9260 likes this.
  7. j9260

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I did well on the SATs and ACTs, but have no idea how to access them. Despite my application already being marked complete, do you think I should find and send them in to Penn separately?

Thanks a bunch for the reply! I appreciate it. It's really reassuring and helping with the nerves. Haha

MDinthemaking0324 likes this.
  8. j9260

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Anyone else still waiting for a response for summer or fall 2016 entry? (fingers crossed for an II!)

9. MDinthemaking0324

Pre-Medical

Hey so sorry for the late reply, I don't get my email notifications for some reason.

But I don't think it will hurt if you send them! I had to retrieve my password and everything to be able to send my SAT scores and it's really easy to do so. You do have to probably pay an archive fee to send them though depending on when you took them, which I wanna say was about $30-$40, just a heads up!

j9260 likes this.
  10. j9260

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the info!

11. Darriusaj

Darriusaj SeekingMDstatus
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Anyone else accepted to the SS program for this summer?

12. ElectricNuts24

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Accepted into the program! Interview on a Friday. Got results on a Tuesday.

Stats for other to see: 3.1 cGPA 2.89 sGPA 3.60 other courses GPA. SAT from 2010: 1890 ACT: 26. I did not apply with mcat, i have some pretty solid extra curricular activities in the clinical setting, both paid and unpaid (paid/unpaid doesn't matter tho, what matters is how you can speak to the experiences) and i had two strong letters of recommendation speaking to my personal and professional ability. Good luck to the rest of those who apply!!!

13. ElectricNuts24

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    For those who have completed the program, or are currently enrolled, would you be able to offer some advice about where to look for housing? looking for something close to campus and somewhat nice, want to stay away from janky places. got enough of that in my undergrad lol. any advice about where i should start looking online would be appreciated! moving from California so i won't have the option to check out the places before i move in. thank you everyone

14. Mmoore

Pre-Medical
    Hey! If you don't mind sharing,
    when was your application completed?

15. Zenigata

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Looking for roommate(s) to share starting in May. Thinking about University City. Please pm and we can connect!

16. ElectricNuts24

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    submitted my app in the last week of february

Basquiat likes this.
  17. wacmd25

Pre-Medical
    So I just recently accepted my offer from Penn, and I am looking forward to starting in May. I am a little concerned, as I haven't seen many stories of people completing the program and getting into medical school. Can anyone comment on how successful the program is at helping students get into medical school? Any information is much appreciated!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. wacmd25

Pre-Medical
    Are you looking to live in University City? Or are you thinking of being outside the city and commuting?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. wacmd25

Pre-Medical
    Yup! Accepted my offer of admission yesterday. Good luck, see you on campus.

20. ElectricNuts24

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    looking at a place in university city or powelton village

21. wacmd25

Pre-Medical
    Try looking at University City Housing, they have lots of great places that they call Victorian Restorations. They are great rooms in places with some serious character. You could email them to find out what is available still; [email protected]

ElectricNuts24 likes this.
  22. ElectricNuts24

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you very much!

23. fms29

Pre-Medical
    those who are starting this summer, what classes are you guys taking? for those who were in this program, any course recommendation?

lamt1220 likes this.
  24. mandrakes94

Pre-Medical
    Hey! I know you answered this a while back, but I just got my acceptance today and I'm curious about the scheduling issue. I really wanted to work full-time during the next year, so I was originally planning to do 3 cu's each semester then two in the summer. Do you think that's doable? Also, can you still apply to med school that cycle? Your summer grades wouldn't get in till end of summer, but could you forward them like you do your MCAT?

Wondering if I should just work part-time and do four classes each semester, I'm lucky enough that my parents have offered to support me during the next year if need be, but I really want to support myself.

This thread is great guys, thanks for all the info!

25. smarg2389

Pre-Medical
    Hey everyone! I just found out I was accepted to UPENN Post bac pre med for Fall 2016!!!! I was wondering how good is this program? Also is there anyone else attending this fall? Looking for a roommate!

26. smarg2389

Pre-Medical
    Hey, I was just accepted for fall 2016!!! Did you get in?

27. 11qqq

Pre-Medical
    Hey, I am still waiting for response. May I know when is your application marked as completed? thanks

28. a_magyar_orvos

Pre-Medical
    Just got accepted today!

But I'm trying to decide between Case and this program. Anyone have any suggestions?

29. vilraj

vilraj Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thinking of applying here to start in the Spring...does anyone have the stats? Like # of applicants, interviews and acceptances?

30. cottard

2+ Year Member

Hi everyone, I just got accepted to the Core program and I'm trying to decide whether or not to attend. I'm super nontrad, long boring story, but my undergrad gpa is a 3.0. So now I've been accepted into this thing and am feeling kind of worried, because even if I get a perfect 4.0 in the program, that would still only bring my gpa up to like, maaaybe a 3.3 overall?

There's a good upward trend, etc etc, but is there any point in doing this postbac if my gpa at the end of it is still going to be below the ~3.5 cutoff? Would I need to do even more classes? Or will having a strong postbac gpa be enough (besides, you know, all the other stuff you need)? Some people seem to be suggesting it's not and I'm wondering if I should abandon the whole venture. Any advice would be appreciated!

31. Moko

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Even with a near-perfect 4.0 GPA in the core requirements (which only a few people get), you will likely need another year of upper-level classes in order to have a competitive GPA for med schools.

I would recommend brushing up on your math now especially if you were a non-math major -- the chemistry and physics classes are quite heavy on algebra and trigonometry.

If this is something you're truly passionate about, another year in post-bacc shouldn't drive you away. Post-bacc, the application year, medical school, and residency will be at least 10 years. What's an extra year to that? If finances are an issue, I would recommend picking a cheaper program so you can be successful on your first cycle once you have a competitive GPA. Best of luck!

32. cottard

2+ Year Member

Thanks for replying! In terms of time/work, another year of classes definitely doesn't put me off, but you're right that financing all this biz does (I'm assuming everyone just takes out a ton of loans?). This was the only program I applied to and I Was Not Expecting to get in, so I don't have other options right now. A cheaper program would require relocating, giving up my job, and maybe even living apart from my fiance and paying double-rent, so I don't think that comes out to be financially worth it.

I do work in a research lab at , and can take classes there for relatively cheap---but only two per semester, it's too late to apply for starting in the fall, and obviously all the first bio/chem/physics classes in the sequence are only offered for the fall semester.

Would it be dumb (i.e. not worth the money) to do the post-bacc and then afterwards spend a year doing classes here to build the gpa up some more?

#1682 cottard, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  33. Moko

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Your plan sounds fine to me. Citing finances as a reason for transferring to complete upper-division classes shouldn't hurt you (though in some cases it can raise some eyebrows if grades suddenly jump going from one institution to another)

34. cottard

2+ Year Member

as far as I can tell, you have to finish all your post-bacc biz at Penn in two years, so if I need to do anything else afterwards, it would have to be elsewhere. Thank you for the advice!

35. Moko

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Not sure where you heard that from, but that's incorrect. The overwhelming majority of people complete the program over two years, however, there are some who choose to do it part-time over a few years. And for people who complete the core requirements and need additional upper-division coursework to increase their GPA, they're welcome to continue taking classes through LPS -- they'll functionally be like the Specialized Science folk. Penn is not one to turn away free tuition money ;)

36. rufi0

Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone,

So, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I was accepted at LMU, SFSU, and UPenn's PB programs. I'm currently a CA resident, but grew up in NEPA and still have family in the state. I'm a non traditional student (29yo) and recent graduate of UCLA (psych). My GPA is 3.64, definitely a career changer (only completed intro bio and intro chem courses to transfer), I've got volunteer experience in hospital with UCLA Health, research experience at UCLA (psych), and volunteering experience in a few other non-medical-related positions. Haven't taken the MCAT or GRE.

LMU is no longer on the table, as both individuals who interviewed me (program director and program coordinator) have since resigned. Although it would be convenient to go to LMU, there are too many cons at is point to even consider it (still a little salty about the $500 to "hold" my spot).

What I'm really having trouble with is deciding between Penn and SFSU. Here's what I've found/my thoughts on each program so far:

Penn - Pros
    Ivy League prestige
    Linkages to great medical schools and name recognition
    Cheaper to live in Philly, but more expensive to attend Penn
    Discounts on MCAT prep (Kaplan, Princeton)
    Tutoring available
    Personalized advising (anyone confirm how "individualized" this is?)
    Application assistance, mock interviews, workshops/seminars, committee letter
    Plenty of research and volunteer opportunities in Philadelphia

Family relatively nearby (read: support system)
    Public transit available (no experience with it, myself)

East coast attitudes/values (as opposed to SoCal)
    I keep seeing different numbers, but a ~60% acceptance to medschool

Penn - Cons

Competitive atmosphere
    Competitive curving (both of ease are cons-ish, depending on how well you do in classes, I assume)
    Moves me from California, reducing the already slim chances of getting into a California medschool (I'd love to go to Geffen, but their acceptance is like 3%? Lol)

SFSU - Pros
    Community/cooperative atmosphere
    Well-known post bac in California

Highly selective with applicants (or so I've been told)
    Tutoring available
    MCAT prep
    Personalized advising (though I've heard his can be difficult to obtain, beyond he first appointment)
    Application assistance, mock interviews, professional colloquium, committee letter packet
    I would remain a California resident
    Great public transit
    Volunteer opportunities nearby, research I'm not so sure
    Family still in LA, so not too far and have a friend who also got into the program
    Cheaper than Penn
    "Overall success rate of 80%" (assuming that means getting into medschools)

SFSU - Cons

Doesn't have the prestige of Penn, but is still a respected program
    No linkages (though I've read that they're either impossible to get or not really important anyway?)
    Affordable housing is near impossible to find
    San Francisco can be terribly pretentious in a way that's different than How pretentious Los Angeles can be (lol)

At this point, it seems like the cost of attending Penn is counterbalanced by the cost of livin in San Francisco, so cost may no longer be a distinguishing factor between the two programs.

Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated!

37. cottard

2+ Year Member

anyone have any info on linkage requirements for Core Studies folks?

38. fosterfail314

Pre-Veterinary
    Hi everyone,

I am new to this community and was hoping for any information about the interview for the UPenn Post-Bacc core studies program. Earlier posts in this thread have covered the "why do you want to switch to the medical field," and "why UPenn" questions, but any other insight would be greatly appreciated!

Also, does anyone know about how many people they interview versus how many are accepted to the program?

Thanks!

39. latinclubimperatus

latinclubimperatus Don't get snarky, I'm better at it than you.
    Account on Hold 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Interviewed a few days ago, stalking this thread definitely helped! If you can find some of the interview questions in here and have some good answers ready to go it will help you a lot.

40. CJhooper123

CJhooper123 B.A. in Chemistry and Getting Buckets
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just curious - Is this thread for the Upenn "career-changer" post-bac program?

I was recently accepted to the "pre-health specialized health program" at Upenn for academic enhancement. I am curious to see what kinds of students had success in this program.

41. latinclubimperatus

Medical Student
    Both.

42. latinclubimperatus

Medical Student
    Accepted! This thread was amazingly helpful! Having seen a lot of the questions ahead of time and being able to prepare really good answers was instrumental!

43. fosterfail314

Pre-Veterinary
    I was just accepted to the Core Studies program (career changer here). latinclub are you in the core studies or specialized program?

44. CJhooper123

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Upenn specialized health post-bac, spring 2017... Time to find somewhere to live in Philly.

45. BeTheBall

When were you complete?

46. CJhooper123

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My apologies... I was recently accepted. I will be starting this upcoming summer.

47. BeTheBall

Oh, I was just wondering how long it took them to review your application/do the interview/get accepted. I am applying soon and just want a general timeline. Also, would you mind sharing your stats?

48. CJhooper123

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The process went pretty fast for me. I think it took ~2-3 weeks or so after my interview to get accepted. All in all, probably 1-2 months?
    Stats - Went to prestigious liberal arts school in New England, cGPA = 3.1, sGPA = 2.9. Scored the MCAT on 01/28/17, still waiting (hoping 508+). Will apply mostly DO for the 2019 cycle after finishing the program.

49. fosterfail314

Pre-Veterinary
    I also was just accepted to the core studies program to begin summer 2017, but due to class scheduling I will have to defer to fall 2017. The process for me was actually faster than CJhooper. I was offered an interview about 10 days after applying, interviewed on a Friday, and was offered acceptance the Monday right after.
    My undergrad is from a large state university and my masters (in education, I am a career changer) is from a different large state university. cGPA 3.7, sGPA (math and non-major sciences only) 3.9. I am pre-vet and have not taken the GRE yet.

50. JoeRom

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone taken microbio recently? Thanks!