UPenn Post Bacc Program

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by premedw, Jan 28, 2009.

1. baeh

Pre-Medical
    I think about a week? Penn responded faster than other schools b/c I was already in their system from my masters program here.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. baeh

Pre-Medical
    I talked with SFS the other day and the counselor said federal loans can cover a small fraction of the tuition. We don't have a choice but to take out private loans. I'm looking up scholarships right now, but they're hard to find. I don't know if they'll even grant me one b/c I don't know if they'll consider me undergraduate.

4. NagolMD

Pre-Medical
    Here's my attempt at an unbiased opinion from my personal experience in Penn's Core Studies Program:

1) When I started, everyone wanted to link. Most people wanted to link to Penn Med. After just two semesters, I only know one person that wanted to link to Penn Med. Most people also no longer qualify to link because their GPAs have fallen so much as a result of being in Penn's Post-Bac Program.

2) Of the ~100 people in the program, I only knew one person that successfully linked. Doesn't mean there weren't more, but I talked to everyone I could and I only found out about the one.

3) Professors are told that only 20% of the class can get As. So, they make the exams so difficult that the average is a D or F (sometimes a C) and then curve. If you can't afford tutoring, you'll probably end up in the B range.

4) They offer free tutoring, but it's limited to two hours a week. Private tutoring starts at $20/hour.

5) The advisors take a VERY hands-off approach. So hands-off, in fact, that they don't even answer some emails you send them. Be prepared to figure almost everything out on your own.

6) It is more important to have a good GPA from any school than to get a low GPA from a good school. I've confirmed this with: Enrollment advisors (from other schools), the advisors at Penn, Med Students, and Doctors. My GPA has fallen drastically as a result of being at Penn and it was ~3.85 before starting this program.

7) Because of the curving, a little more than half of your classmates will compete with you and will NOT help you succeed (because they want you to do poorly so they can do better). So, expect that. There are awesome people in this program that WILL help, you just have to weed through and find them.

Let me know if you have other questions.

#1603 NagolMD, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
    baeh likes this.
  5. eeeeems

Pre-Medical
    I had my interview yesterday and wanted to elaborate on the questions they ask for those who have their interview in the future.

1. why do you want to become a physician?
    2. what environment/setting do you see yourself working in?
    3. what classes from undergrad (outside of science) will prepare you for medicine?
    4. what clinical / patient experience do you have?
    5. what is your timeline?
    6. what are some of the ethical problems you see in health care?
    7. what are your strengths and weaknesses?

jamaicangal99 likes this.
  6. eeeeems

Pre-Medical
    who else got in for ssp fall 2015!!?!:clap:

Schwann Lake likes this.
  7. Lady123

Medical Student (Accepted)
    If you get a full time job working for Penn, your classes will be mostly paid for as part of your tuition benefits. It can be really hard to work full time while taking classes, and is definitely not for everyone. But it's something that's good to consider before taking out extra loans! More information on that here: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/myhr/resources/policy/benefits/tuitionfacultystaff

baeh likes this.
  8. baeh

Pre-Medical
    This is so helpful! I think I might have not choice but to do this option because I couldn't even find private loans that post-bac students are eligible for :(

9. CHoge25

Pre-Medical
    Hello everyone! I just learned about the SSP program. Do you think I am too late to apply for Fall 2015? Deadline is July 1. I think I am a competitive applicant but I do not want to fill out an application if I do not have much of a chance to get in due to rolling admissions.

10. goriku671

Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone!

I applied on May 12th for the SSP and got my interview invite May 27th!! I'm scheduled to interview next week thru skype! I'm living in SD. Anyone have any tips?

11. CHoge25

Pre-Medical

Goriku I have a quick question for you:

What test score did you submit with your application?

12. Schwann Lake

I will be attending this program in the Fall! Did anyone make a facebook group? Also, is anyone else looking for a roommate/apartment searching?

13. goriku671

Pre-Medical
    Hi CHoge25, I submitted an MCAT score with my application

14. goriku671

Pre-Medical
    I will definitely be looking for a roommate if accepted into the program.
    How long post-interview, did you find out you got accepted?

15. Schwann Lake

I interviewed on a Tuesday and found out Friday of that week. From what I've read on here though, that's faster than usual. I would think you'll hear in roughly a week, give or take a few days!

And I should rephrase...I'm looking for a female roommate lol =P but it will be good to know someone if you're accepted. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. eeeeems

Pre-Medical
    also Look AT CHOP! I am working there full time in a lab starting this summer and apparently tuition benefits from there also cover this program. thank god!

18. eeeeems

Pre-Medical
    Hi CHoge25, I think you should apply ASAP as I have heard of people applying last minute and still getting in.
    Dont let that hold you back! Just write those essays!

E

19. CHoge25

Pre-Medical
    I just applied today, hopefully my letters of rec will come in a couple days. I hope it is not too late, I would love to be apart of this program!

20. robflanker

Resident [Any Field]
    typically u have to be an employee there 6 months (or something like that) before they give you tuition benefits, and you must be full time

21. ees5122

I too am a very desperate and hard-working person trying to get into medical school. After not getting into med school, I applied to Penn post bacc end of May, just interviewed yesterday, and was told at my interview that I basically got it but will receive a formal acceptance later this week.

me: 3.81 GPA, 3.61 science, 26 MCAT from 2013.

This program isn't hard to get into. They have no cap on their incoming class (sounds like $$ hungry to me). All classes are post-bacc students only and range from 25-75 students. Every student is on their own individual class schedule, so no unity of support really exists among students as you're not all going through it together.

If you're not a total lost cause and show that you have some promise, just need some help with your GPA or extra sciences, you'll get in. There is not a community feel to it, however, and there is 0 MCAT assistance. It is a get in and get out mentality and it is true that you really are paying for a reputable name. The acceptance to med school after the program is pretty high, there is a glide year though and they offer opportunities for shadowing and potentially paid work.

I was told by the admissions person that an option for me to save money is to continue working my full time job and take some classes on the side on my own if I already have a committee letter support from my undergrad - which I do. Weird that admissions said that. I guess at least they're honest. Not sure what I'm going to do.

They said they've received 150 applications since January. Usually end up with 500 total. Doesn't sound like much to me. That's all I know. Good luck everyone.

22. robflanker

Resident [Any Field]
    You are wasting your money at Penn.

The $20k it will cost you to attend (even if you went part-time, you are still looking at like $10k) is way more than the MCAT prep that you need. You could spent $3k on a private MCAT tutor and that would be a significantly better way to spend your money. Even if you get a 4.0 in the SSP, it isn't going to change you have a 26 MCAT. That is your issue - not more class work.

To everyone else who might read this, programs like this are not a solution to a poor MCAT. Penn is great if you are on the cusp of getting admissions to med school but need that little GPA booast with maybe some extra ECs. Take the MCAT prep you need, and don't waste it on more class work.

Schwann Lake likes this.
  23. ees5122

Much appreciated. That is what I figured...re-reading my post a day later I'm seeing that I already acknowledged that somewhere in my mind yesterday, lol. Temple's program would be ideal for my situation as they offer MCAT prep and I could take biochem, a new pre-req I haven't taken, as well as anatomy and phys which I never took. Super competitive though. Ah well, here's to hoping!

24. goriku671

Pre-Medical
    Did anyone else interview with Lisa Witmer? I had my interview with her and I really don't know how I feel about it... :(

25. goriku671

Pre-Medical
    Just got accepted to the SSP. Now to see how I'm going to afford this. Going to have to relocate from sunny San Diego..

Schwann Lake likes this.
  26. goriku671

Pre-Medical
    can we get a facebook group started for all 2015-2016 postbaccalaureate students? Feel free to PM me for facebook info

27. Schwann Lake

Message me or @goriku671 if you want the fb link to the group! Or just search for Penn Pre-Health Post-bacc 2015-2016

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

28. shanzone

Pre-Medical
    Hello guys! This is my first post in SDN. I've been reading through the posts and they are just extremely helpful! By the way, I am an international student and applying for the Pre Health program for this Fall 2015. Does anyone know the acceptance rate into this program?

Thank you! ^___^

29. Zanjrb

Pre-Medical
    For those still waiting, I was offered an interview today, and I wanted to give you guys some thorough info because I was browsing these threads just a week ago down on myself thinking I'd have no chance due to how late my app was. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from the Temple ACMS program, and UVM.

Applied ~ may 20th,

Non trad. in the sense that I'm 24, and wasn't planning upon attending medical school as of graduating two years ago, wanted to work in the psych pharma industry. Got there, absolutely hated it and decided it was time for a change.

Only compelling story is that I'm a second gen college student, and the first one to go to school on academic merits and not football (not really that big of a deal IMO, but some schools seemed interested), and I seriously overworked myself in university to come out debt free, which when added to my EC's paints me as extremely involved in both academic, social and work life during college.

Stats:

Grades/Scores.
    3.3c 3.0s for GPA, 85th-95th on the new MCAT, 90th% + on GRE, GRE Subject, SAT and ACT. No trend in GPA, up and down throughout college, but All a's in bio prereqs, A's and B's in other prereqs, except one C in Ochem2. Coursework primarily focused in Neuroscience and Biochemistry.

EC's.
    Multiple publications in 2 fields, EMT, 2k+ volunteer hours, 100+ shadowing hours, research coordinator in clinical setting psych pharma trials, worked in a low income school, study abroad, TA and tutor for several upper division biology courses, worked quite a bit (40hrs a week of paid work during college), helped plan and run 2 Relay for Lifes, and have a somewhat substantial list of awards and elected positions to my name, mostly in campus leadership and service, but a few in academics as well.

Essays.
    Talked about experiences working with extreme poverty patients, and expressed a desire to work in a primarily urban and low income area, or alternatively military medicine.

After seeing all these average GPA's above mine, and thinking it's probably to late for me to just go back to undergrad to boost my GPA .2 or .3, to be competitive, it was a huge wait off my shoulders to hear that I was going to get an interview today. I've seen positives and negative about the Penn program so far, but I just want to wish everyone good luck, especially those of you who had to make hard choices about how to use your time during college, and perhaps suffered for it.

Good luck to everyone.

newtoPA and shanzone like this.
  30. newtoPA

Pre-Health (Field Undecided), Pre-Medical, Non-Student
    @Teal08 What would you recommend for students to do if they had a spotty GPA trend?

31. newtoPA

@Zanjrb Would you recommend solid coursework if someone had a spotty GPA with a recent downward trend?

32. robflanker

Resident [Any Field]
    You posted the same basic message to like 6 users in 4 different threads.

The basic solution is you get As in your coursework.

The more complicated answer depends on your GPA numbers exactly as how to best proceed and whether you've done the pre-reqs or not

33. newtoPA

@robflanker Thanks for catching this. I will be better about it next time.

34. Zanjrb

Pre-Medical
    Just got an acceptance.

If anyone has any questions about my application process or interview, im happy to answer.

35. CityRaider

Pre-Dental
    How long did they take to confirm your test scores? I submitted my application on the 15th and the "GRE scores still needed" prompt is still on the checklist.

I was told by the application coach to wait until tomorrow to contact the school again, but it's a bit of a concern right now.

36. Zanjrb

Pre-Medical
    Mine were verified within 3 days.

That said, I submitted ACT/SAT/GRE/MCAT.

They may not have cared about my GRE because I sent in an MCAT score.

#1634 Zanjrb, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  37. CityRaider

Pre-Dental
    That's weird, because I've submitted a DAT score. Oh well, I will contact them tomorrow - thanks for the response.

How was the interview?

38. eeeeems

Pre-Medical
    hi goriku and others who are wondering about expenses...

this program is eligible for direct subsidized and unsubsidized loans from the government. see SFS' policy here, http://www.sfs.upenn.edu/special-polices/policies-degree-status-lps.htm

also prices of courses, http://www.sas.upenn.edu/lps/postbacc/pre-health/tuition

you do need to apply for the FAFSA, and i am not sure if the deadline has passed yet for the fall semester of 2015.

hope this helps,
    e

39. goriku671

Pre-Medical

Because the program is non degree seeking, you can only get up to $12,500 of unsubsidized loans for one year. I ended up having to pull another 33k in private student loans in order to pay for everything.

@eeeeems Are you looking for a roommate or do you know anyone looking for a roommate by chance? I really want to find a roommate who is in the same program as I am.

40. goriku671

Pre-Medical
    Can anyone comment on how doable taking 4CU of classes and studying for the MCAT in January 2016 or April 2016 is? I really want to apply to med school next year, right after I finish the program. This would be a retake, but last time I took the MCAT it was still in the old format... :/

41. Zanjrb

Pre-Medical

The interview was fairly brief, with Dr. Wittmer.

Why isn't your GPA as high as you want it, why medical school, what makes a good doctor, etc.

CityRaider likes this.
  42. goodvibes94

Hello everyone,

I plan on applying to SSP next year. Does anyone know if you can apply for the summer session (in my case summer 2016) but differ to the fall session (in my case fall 2016).

Basically, I would like to get the process started sooner rather than later.

Thanks

43. sfkniner81

making my first post on SDN :)

just got in today for SSP and really excited about it! applied with ~ 3.5 cGPA and ~3.45 sGPA with a 29 mcat (retaking this August). now deciding between Tufts MBS and this program!

with 12 credits in SSP at 3.7 avg I would boost my GPA to about 3.6 and 3.55 sGPA. Definitely need to boost my research experience (none so far) and get a little more clinical experience regardless of which program I decide. would love any advice!

44. goriku671

Pre-Medical
    @sfkniner81 Do the SSP at Penn and study the MCAT with me!! LOL

sfkniner81 likes this.
  45. CHoge25

Pre-Medical
    I interviewed Friday and am waiting to find out if accepted... But if I do I will need someone to study mcat with :)

46. goriku671

Pre-Medical
    @CHoge25 PM me if you get accepted and decide to attend. I'm shooting to take it in January and want to start studying for it when the program begins

47. CityRaider

Pre-Dental
    Got in today (Specialized Studies) for Fall of 2015 :D

48. sfkniner81

is the advanced certificate for specialized studies students that beneficial? or is it just kind of meaningless? Deciding whether I should take 3 or 4 courses this Fall while doing research / volunteering on the side

49. goriku671

Pre-Medical
    I think I remember the counselor saying that you need the advanced certificate in order to get a committee letter from them.

50. robflanker

Resident [Any Field]
    it was meaningless for me. but i got my committee letter from my undergrad

51. CityRaider

Pre-Dental
    Is anybody else going for dental school? I know the program is much more heavily medical school-hopeful centric, but just curious.

52. BornSinner

Medical Student
    I am finishing up the program this semester and know a buddy of mine who is in it for Dental. It isn't too bad and there are definitely dental specific options for you when it comes to volunteering etc if you are interested. Same goes for pre-vet people!