Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

UPenn Post Bacc Program

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by premedw, Jan 28, 2009.

1. a_magyar_orvos

Pre-Medical
    Just got accepted today!

But I'm trying to decide between Case and this program. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vilraj

vilraj Member

Pre-Medical
    Thinking of applying here to start in the Spring...does anyone have the stats? Like # of applicants, interviews and acceptances?

4. cottard

Hi everyone, I just got accepted to the Core program and I'm trying to decide whether or not to attend. I'm super nontrad, long boring story, but my undergrad gpa is a 3.0. So now I've been accepted into this thing and am feeling kind of worried, because even if I get a perfect 4.0 in the program, that would still only bring my gpa up to like, maaaybe a 3.3 overall?

There's a good upward trend, etc etc, but is there any point in doing this postbac if my gpa at the end of it is still going to be below the ~3.5 cutoff? Would I need to do even more classes? Or will having a strong postbac gpa be enough (besides, you know, all the other stuff you need)? Some people seem to be suggesting it's not and I'm wondering if I should abandon the whole venture. Any advice would be appreciated!

5. Moko

Resident [Any Field]
    Even with a near-perfect 4.0 GPA in the core requirements (which only a few people get), you will likely need another year of upper-level classes in order to have a competitive GPA for med schools.

I would recommend brushing up on your math now especially if you were a non-math major -- the chemistry and physics classes are quite heavy on algebra and trigonometry.

If this is something you're truly passionate about, another year in post-bacc shouldn't drive you away. Post-bacc, the application year, medical school, and residency will be at least 10 years. What's an extra year to that? If finances are an issue, I would recommend picking a cheaper program so you can be successful on your first cycle once you have a competitive GPA. Best of luck!

6. cottard

Thanks for replying! In terms of time/work, another year of classes definitely doesn't put me off, but you're right that financing all this biz does (I'm assuming everyone just takes out a ton of loans?). This was the only program I applied to and I Was Not Expecting to get in, so I don't have other options right now. A cheaper program would require relocating, giving up my job, and maybe even living apart from my fiance and paying double-rent, so I don't think that comes out to be financially worth it.

I do work in a research lab at , and can take classes there for relatively cheap---but only two per semester, it's too late to apply for starting in the fall, and obviously all the first bio/chem/physics classes in the sequence are only offered for the fall semester.

Would it be dumb (i.e. not worth the money) to do the post-bacc and then afterwards spend a year doing classes here to build the gpa up some more?

#1705 cottard, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  7. Moko

Resident [Any Field]
    Your plan sounds fine to me. Citing finances as a reason for transferring to complete upper-division classes shouldn't hurt you (though in some cases it can raise some eyebrows if grades suddenly jump going from one institution to another)

8. cottard

as far as I can tell, you have to finish all your post-bacc biz at Penn in two years, so if I need to do anything else afterwards, it would have to be elsewhere. Thank you for the advice!

9. Moko

Resident [Any Field]
    Not sure where you heard that from, but that's incorrect. The overwhelming majority of people complete the program over two years, however, there are some who choose to do it part-time over a few years. And for people who complete the core requirements and need additional upper-division coursework to increase their GPA, they're welcome to continue taking classes through LPS -- they'll functionally be like the Specialized Science folk. Penn is not one to turn away free tuition money ;)

10. rufi0

Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone,

So, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I was accepted at LMU, SFSU, and UPenn's PB programs. I'm currently a CA resident, but grew up in NEPA and still have family in the state. I'm a non traditional student (29yo) and recent graduate of UCLA (psych). My GPA is 3.64, definitely a career changer (only completed intro bio and intro chem courses to transfer), I've got volunteer experience in hospital with UCLA Health, research experience at UCLA (psych), and volunteering experience in a few other non-medical-related positions. Haven't taken the MCAT or GRE.

LMU is no longer on the table, as both individuals who interviewed me (program director and program coordinator) have since resigned. Although it would be convenient to go to LMU, there are too many cons at is point to even consider it (still a little salty about the $500 to "hold" my spot).

What I'm really having trouble with is deciding between Penn and SFSU. Here's what I've found/my thoughts on each program so far:

Penn - Pros
    Ivy League prestige
    Linkages to great medical schools and name recognition
    Cheaper to live in Philly, but more expensive to attend Penn
    Discounts on MCAT prep (Kaplan, Princeton)
    Tutoring available
    Personalized advising (anyone confirm how "individualized" this is?)
    Application assistance, mock interviews, workshops/seminars, committee letter
    Plenty of research and volunteer opportunities in Philadelphia

Family relatively nearby (read: support system)
    Public transit available (no experience with it, myself)

East coast attitudes/values (as opposed to SoCal)
    I keep seeing different numbers, but a ~60% acceptance to medschool

Penn - Cons

Competitive atmosphere
    Competitive curving (both of ease are cons-ish, depending on how well you do in classes, I assume)
    Moves me from California, reducing the already slim chances of getting into a California medschool (I'd love to go to Geffen, but their acceptance is like 3%? Lol)

SFSU - Pros
    Community/cooperative atmosphere
    Well-known post bac in California

Highly selective with applicants (or so I've been told)
    Tutoring available
    MCAT prep
    Personalized advising (though I've heard his can be difficult to obtain, beyond he first appointment)
    Application assistance, mock interviews, professional colloquium, committee letter packet
    I would remain a California resident
    Great public transit
    Volunteer opportunities nearby, research I'm not so sure
    Family still in LA, so not too far and have a friend who also got into the program
    Cheaper than Penn
    "Overall success rate of 80%" (assuming that means getting into medschools)

SFSU - Cons

Doesn't have the prestige of Penn, but is still a respected program
    No linkages (though I've read that they're either impossible to get or not really important anyway?)
    Affordable housing is near impossible to find
    San Francisco can be terribly pretentious in a way that's different than How pretentious Los Angeles can be (lol)

At this point, it seems like the cost of attending Penn is counterbalanced by the cost of livin in San Francisco, so cost may no longer be a distinguishing factor between the two programs.

Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated!

11. cottard

anyone have any info on linkage requirements for Core Studies folks?

12. fosterfail314

Pre-Veterinary
    Hi everyone,

I am new to this community and was hoping for any information about the interview for the UPenn Post-Bacc core studies program. Earlier posts in this thread have covered the "why do you want to switch to the medical field," and "why UPenn" questions, but any other insight would be greatly appreciated!

Also, does anyone know about how many people they interview versus how many are accepted to the program?

Thanks!

13. latinclubimperatus

latinclubimperatus who wants tacos?

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Interviewed a few days ago, stalking this thread definitely helped! If you can find some of the interview questions in here and have some good answers ready to go it will help you a lot.

14. CJhooper123

CJhooper123 B.A. in Chemistry and Getting Buckets

Pre-Medical
    Just curious - Is this thread for the Upenn "career-changer" post-bac program?

I was recently accepted to the "pre-health specialized health program" at Upenn for academic enhancement. I am curious to see what kinds of students had success in this program.

15. latinclubimperatus

Both.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. latinclubimperatus

Accepted! This thread was amazingly helpful! Having seen a lot of the questions ahead of time and being able to prepare really good answers was instrumental!

18. fosterfail314

Pre-Veterinary
    I was just accepted to the Core Studies program (career changer here). latinclub are you in the core studies or specialized program?

19. CJhooper123

Pre-Medical
    Upenn specialized health post-bac, spring 2017... Time to find somewhere to live in Philly.

20. BeTheBall

When were you complete?

21. CJhooper123

Pre-Medical
    My apologies... I was recently accepted. I will be starting this upcoming summer.

22. BeTheBall

Oh, I was just wondering how long it took them to review your application/do the interview/get accepted. I am applying soon and just want a general timeline. Also, would you mind sharing your stats?

23. CJhooper123

Pre-Medical
    The process went pretty fast for me. I think it took ~2-3 weeks or so after my interview to get accepted. All in all, probably 1-2 months?
    Stats - Went to prestigious liberal arts school in New England, cGPA = 3.1, sGPA = 2.9. Scored the MCAT on 01/28/17, still waiting (hoping 508+). Will apply mostly DO for the 2019 cycle after finishing the program.

24. fosterfail314

Pre-Veterinary
    I also was just accepted to the core studies program to begin summer 2017, but due to class scheduling I will have to defer to fall 2017. The process for me was actually faster than CJhooper. I was offered an interview about 10 days after applying, interviewed on a Friday, and was offered acceptance the Monday right after.
    My undergrad is from a large state university and my masters (in education, I am a career changer) is from a different large state university. cGPA 3.7, sGPA (math and non-major sciences only) 3.9. I am pre-vet and have not taken the GRE yet.

25. JoeRom

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone taken microbio recently? Thanks!

26. CJhooper123

Pre-Medical
    For those in the program or have finished it - where are ideal off-campus locations to live? I have heard University City is good, but I would like to know more options.

Also.... if someone is looking for a roommate, message me.

27. Rocketsfan2301

Pre-Medical
    I'm not currently in the program, but have been working in a lab at UPenn for the past year and a half. Some of the best locations to live are Graduate hospital (a lot of grad students/med students live here and either take the school shuttle or walk), center city is a bit more expensive but surprisingly cheap compared to other big cities, another great option is Fishtown and Northern Liberties both great neighborhoods with a lot to do and easy access to the subway to get to work. When I first moved here I lived in center city, but then moved to Fishtown because it was cheaper to live but still had all the great ameneties. Most people though will live in grad hospital/University city area. Let me know if you have any questions!

fosterfail314 and CJhooper123 like this.
  28. Acumenus

I really want to apply. I'd be applying to core program. I am an international student. sGPA 3.89; cGPA 3.82, Great research experience, research presentation, accepted abstract, hours of observation in OR and shadow in clinic, performed thoracotomy on cadaver, great extracurricular, sport, leader of 3 clubs and intramural team, Rhodes scholar finalist, great letter of recc. However, I did not take the SAT, GRE or MCAT. I got into undergrad in US without SAT. Do you guys think I should give it a shot?

#1726 Acumenus, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  29. fosterfail314

Pre-Veterinary
    I just applied recently and I believe that some type of standardized test was required for the application. I would recommend contacting an administrator to make sure you could apply without a standardized test. It's not clear how strict their requirements are on that. Other than that, your stats sound very competitive.

30. kazill

Medical Student
    I live in Roxborough, it's far from the main part of the city but there's plenty of public trans and it's easily one of the cheapest areas to live in.

31. SS0822

Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone!

I graduate this May and am really interested in the UPenn Pre-Health Core Studies Program. Can someone please tell me what is needed to make my application competitive?

If you have gotten in for Fall 2017 can you please let me know what your application was like? Is getting into this program relatively hard?

32. fosterfail314

Pre-Veterinary
    @SS0822 Send me a PM and I will answer as many questions about applying to the core studies program as I can.

SS0822 likes this.
  33. JoeRom

Pre-Medical
    Anyone take Bio 275 microbiology? Thanks!

34. latinclubimperatus

specialized bro

35. KeepThankingHim

Pre-Dental
    hey guys, as I read this thread, there were not that many pre-dental students or any stories about pre-dental students linking to 2 dental schools. Did anyone (both alumni/current students) know anything about this? Thank you!

36. latinclubimperatus

Oi, now I'm also accepted into Touro's MSMHS. Top 25% there basically get accepted there but if not.... eh. What worries me is that last year they quadrupled their class size (15 to 60) so whereas previously just about everyone got in to their COM now only the top 15 do, so my fear is no one other than Touro is really familiar with the program like UPenn. And I hear now it's HELL. Every point counts. Pulling your hair out. But it's wayyyy cheaper, only around 22k.

37. rkdesp

Pre-Medical
    Hi there - So I was planning to apply to the specialized studies and reading through this thread got me super confused. You need a cgpa of 3.6 or a 3.6 in the program to use the linkage? and does upenn grade really hard? is that why it's "impossible" to get into med school? So I shouldn't even bother?

38. Moko

Resident [Any Field]
    The classes at Penn were rigorous but fair and ultimately prepared me well for the MCAT and med school. But everyone was graded on a curve when I was there (and presumably that is still the policy), with the average being around a B- . So despite everyone being smart and driven, the average student will not finish the program with a competitive GPA.

latinclubimperatus likes this.
  39. rkdesp

Pre-Medical
    Ok. so it's doable. but the average (B-) is not good enough to use in the linkage? so you need to do really well in the program to use the linkage program? I'm sorry I'm just so confused. I was all set to apply then I hear not-so-good things and I'm in a panic again.

40. latinclubimperatus

Your status says resident, so imagine its been many years since you were in the program?

41. latinclubimperatus

Your status says resident, so imagine its been many years since you were in the program?

42. Moko

Resident [Any Field]
    It's doable as people do find success in the program (both in the "core" and "specialized science" groups) -- but the average student who gets a B- (GPA ~2.7) will not be competitive for any linkages (or any med school for that matter). As I've said before, I'm very grateful for the opportunities that Penn has provided me. But while Penn is a good option to consider for those who can outperform the cohort (a 3.7+ makes a statement), for most others it would've been more prudent to go elsewhere where the grades are more lenient. Hope this helps!

Absolutely, I'm about 5 years out from the program, so do take what I say with a grain of salt. Things certainly could have changed but I would be surprised if the grading schema has shifted too dramatically.

43. latinclubimperatus

Everyone who talks about the curve (only top 30% gets an 'A') seem to be in the core group. Can anyone confirm this is also the case in specialized?

44. fosterfail314

Pre-Veterinary
    When I interviewed for this program and had an opportunity to speak with a current student, how courses were curved was one of the questions I asked her. She said that it largely depends on the professor and how they choose to curve. But, the acceptance rate of students admitted to professional school following the program is very high.

Professional School Success | The College of Liberal and Professional Studies (LPS)

I'm not quite sure how, if courses are curved around a B- like @Moko said (which I believe to still be accurate for the most part), the acceptance rates can be so high.

That being said, the woman who interviewed me said that they do have about a 10% attrition rate in the core studies program, which is largely due to academic reasons.

Also, keep in mind that the classes are very small, so that bottom end of the curve may account for some of the 10% who drop out. I often think about the fact that the program largely wants the students to do well and succeed because it makes their numbers look good, which in turn increases applicants for the next year, maintain their reputation of a school that succeeds in getting their students accepted, and allows them to be more selective, thus continuing to maintain a high quality, competitive program. So it seems to me that there is some conflict of interest here between wanting to offer competitive courses where students have to work hard to be in that top 30% to get an A, but also to give out as many high grades as possible so that their numbers of students accepted to their subsequent professional school is high.

45. latinclubimperatus

I hate classes that limit how many number of A's there are. That makes me uncomfortable.

46. Moko

Resident [Any Field]
    The numbers posted on the Penn site represent those who obtained the committee letter (which came with its own minimum program GPA requirement) -- most people have already been weeded out by then (similar to how most premed courses operate in college). So imo it's mostly a marketing trick -- one that's used by almost all post-bacc programs to make their own numbers look more attractive. When I applied, their reported success rates were similarly high; however, my cohort's attrition rate was definitely much higher than 10%. Many in my cohort ended up leaving because their GPA was simply not competitive, and/or they realized after a couple semesters that medicine wasn't right for them (often discouraged due to academic issues). Looking at the published list of schools that graduates were accepted to, the numbers don't add up if the 10% attrition rate was true (all of the US Allopathic schools have likely been listed). Again, not trying to bash on Penn since all programs are guilty of this, but I wanted to offer a more realistic (cynical?) view of the game. Hope this helps!

(Also, those who only got into offshore medical schools in the Caribbean are likely counted towards the "success rate" -- another common tactic used to inflate numbers)

#1744 Moko, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  47. fosterfail314

Pre-Veterinary
    @Moko it sounds like you have much more accurate information than I do. You have actually attended the program and I will begin in the fall. I do agree with you that every program does what they can to inflate their numbers and perhaps there is some disconnect between the information I was told by the adviser I met with and what is published on the website.

Honestly, my situation is a bit different, I am a pre-veterinary student starting in the core studies program. I have zero science background and will be in my early 30s by the time I apply to veterinary school, so medical school linkages is not something I asked about and a committee letter is not required for veterinary school, so again, not something I considered asking about. I did specifically ask about the acceptance rate of pre-veterinary students into veterinary schools following the core studies program, as well as the attrition rate of students who come into the program as pre-vet students. I felt that that information was satisfactory for what I was looking for, as there are very few post-bacc programs/SMPs that mention or cater to pre-veterinary students at all, not to mention are part of a university with a veterinary medicine school. Another reason I ultimately decided to attend this program is because of their connections to shadowing and other experience opportunities.

48. latinclubimperatus

Does UPenn have pretty good name recognition? I've also been accepted to a program at Touro but (long story as to why) those graduates almost never had to apply outside of Touro so I feel like it wouldn't really have any name recognition.

49. Moko

Resident [Any Field]
    The name recognition of Penn definitely helped me. Some interviewers thought that the post-bacc program was as competitive as the undergrad university when it came to admissions -- which really couldn't be farther from the truth. Of course, this is with the caveat that good name recognition does not make up for poor grades. So go where you will thrive academically!

@fosterfail314 You're right -- most post-baccs don't put as much emphasis on vet school admissions (or other options such as PAs etc), which is unfortunate. It seems that you have a good sense of what to expect and have done your research, so trust your gut. Best of luck!

50. mOlar1!

Pre-Dental
    Hi guys,
    So I just got my interview from penn and I wasn't expecting it at all. Do you guys recommend it?I am going for the specialied program. I am stuck in a sticky situation Bc I am pre dental so I don't have as many opportunities at Penn but this linking program isn't making much sense lol. Can someone please explain it? I got into Jefferson, Rutgers, Barry so now I am just waiting to hear back from pcom to make a final decision. It's always a risky call with post bacc Bc gpa adds on to your undergrad and a post bacc certificate doesn't mean much in real world in case you don't get in. So I am kinda scared Bc I am doubting myself what if I don't do well and it's pricey as hell.

51. SS0822

Pre-Medical
    First off- congrats on getting an interview! I have heard great things about the specialized program at Penn. Unfortunately don't have much information on it as of now. I'm not sure if the linkage program works the same for specialized studies as it does for the core studies program but it's essentially doing early decision. What you do is you pick one school that Penn has an agreement with in the Fall semester of the year you will be done. Then what happens is that you (hopefully) get an interview and if accepted you're able to matriculate the following Fall. What it does is it saves you a year and gives acceptance in a school right after you're done with the program. It's great to save time but usually the requirements are pretty high and you're putting all your eggs in one basket. If you are not accepted into the school via linkage then you have to apply the old school way.

I went to talk to an enrollment specialist and what I learnt is that Penn has a lot of great opportunities such as shadowing, clinical work, and research. On top of that they have advisors who stick with you and guide you throughout the program and they also have tie ups with Princeton Review and Kaplan to provide help with whatever test you will be taking.

But a lot of schools have that! I attend Rutgers University (for undergrad) and their program offers similar things. If you're worried about not having any support a good thing about structured post baccs is that you have a post bacc community and are able to study together and therefore thrive together. Weigh out all your options but definitely don't let the fear of not doing well get in the way!

StarsHallow and mOlar1! like this.
  52. mOlar1!

Pre-Dental
    Thank yo so much for explaining this. It sounds like a good deal and a risky call at the same time. Because of how many people can get As is limited, that makes me uncomfortable. I go to a competitive UG state school and we follow penn's curriculum for some classes and this grading scale, it didn't leave a good taste in my mouth lol. We'll see how it goes though.

SS0822 likes this.