UPenn vs Bryn Mawr Post-baccs

Started by kaedor
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kaedor

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between Bryn Mawr and UPenn for a post bacc. Two questions:

1. I've heard that Bryn Mawr you are not competing against your classmates for grades. My impression is that at UPenn, you are. Is this correct?
2. I might be able to take some/all of the academic year undergrad classes at Penn for free. Any thoughts on this option vs (paying for) the two post baccs?
3. I'm planning on living in Center City. Any thoughts on the pros/cons of the commute to Bryn Mawr vs the "commute" to Penn?

Thanks!
 
Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between Bryn Mawr and UPenn for a post bacc. Two questions:

1. I've heard that Bryn Mawr you are not competing against your classmates for grades. My impression is that at UPenn, you are. Is this correct?
2. I might be able to take some/all of the academic year undergrad classes at Penn for free. Any thoughts on this option vs (paying for) the two post baccs?
3. I'm planning on living in Center City. Any thoughts on the pros/cons of the commute to Bryn Mawr vs the "commute" to Penn?

Thanks!

1. At Bryn Mawr you are not pitted against each other at all, if the class is curved, it is curved against the undergraduates, which are in other sections. My understanding of Penn is that it is like any other university class and placed with other undergraduates and graded accordinging.
2. If finances are an issue for you, and you can get free classes at Penn, it is clearly a very attractive option and I would highly consider that. Postbacs are not cheap.
3. If you were to do the postbac at Bryn Mawr, I highly advise against commuting from Center City unless you have an established group of friends there already. While people did commute from Philadelphia, they were particularly detached from the class.

PM me if you need any more help
 
1. At Bryn Mawr you are not pitted against each other at all, if the class is curved, it is curved against the undergraduates, which are in other sections. My understanding of Penn is that it is like any other university class and placed with other undergraduates and graded accordinging.
2. If finances are an issue for you, and you can get free classes at Penn, it is clearly a very attractive option and I would highly consider that. Postbacs are not cheap.
3. If you were to do the postbac at Bryn Mawr, I highly advise against commuting from Center City unless you have an established group of friends there already. While people did commute from Philadelphia, they were particularly detached from the class.

PM me if you need any more help

The bolded bit isnt true - you are with post-bacs only, and request if you want to be in an undergrad class