NYU vs uop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.dentist.dds

Aspiring dentist
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’d probably choose uop only cuz it’s shorter.

Or I honestly would choose not to go to dental school because that cost is really ridiculous

Reactions: 2 users
NYU is one of the most expensive with students graduating nowadays $600k-$700k in loans. UOP is around $400-500k. UOP is shorter in terms of three years so you can get out and start working faster. If you want the NY experience, just do 1 year AEGD/GPR after graduation. The difference in loans adds up especially if you want to start a business by taking out a loan to startup/buyout or even downpayment on your dream home.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU is one of the most expensive with students graduating nowadays $600k-$700k in loans. UOP is around $400-500k. UOP is shorter in terms of three years so you can get out and start working faster. If you want the NY experience, just do 1 year AEGD/GPR after graduation. The difference in loans adds up especially if you want to start a business by taking out a loan to startup/buyout or even downpayment on your dream home.
Messaged!

Ok it won’t let me message you but I was also considering penn. It’s around the same price. It’s not p/f. I’m just worried about how hard UoP will be. Still leaning towards UoP, but just recently heard back from other school

Ok it won’t let me message you but I was also considering penn. It’s around the same price. It’s not p/f. I’m just worried about how hard UoP will be. Still leaning towards UoP, but just recently heard back from other school
anything but NYU...

Reactions: 2 users
at that point, it comes down to whether you want to A. be a general dentist or B. specialize. If the difference in loan amount is pretty minor like $50k, then it makes sense to go the route that will match you to the dentisting lifestyle you want. UOP is pretty tough to specialize at since didactics, sim clin, and gradings are quite harsh. I explain some of it in my other post

From what I know, approx. 18/143 have the grounds/interest to specialize(been MATCHED or trying to do GPR/AEGD before specializing). About 15-20 people are doing AEGD/GPR for gp experience. Ivy League dental schools have many students that end up specializing naturally cuz of the competitive go-getter mentality. Heard a lot of grade inflation can happen at these schools too. Don't know if Penn is one of them but if so that's a real key to success.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: