UOP vs UW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhoebeZ929

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm currently choosing between UOP and UW...I am interested in Pediatric Dentistry, but not sure whether UOP has less opportunities to specialize like some people say. Could anyone please share their ideas about this? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I'm currently choosing between UOP and UW...I am interested in Pediatric Dentistry, but not sure whether UOP has less opportunities to specialize like some people say. Could anyone please share their ideas about this? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
which one is cheaper?
which one is closer to friends/family?
which one is closer to where you want to practice?

UoP graduates you in 3 years. So in theory as long as UW isn't like $200K cheaper, it's worth it to go to UoP so you can finish earlier, go to your Pediatric Residency, and then start working as a Pediatric Dentist faster and thus starting your repayment quicker.

BTW, every school allows for "opportunity" to specialize. Don't believe others when they say that you have to go to a specific school to get into a residency. People say that because they try to justify going to "fancy" schools that cost a ton of money, but in reality it doesn't matter.

Put it this way, I went to UNLV (not known for being "an elite" school) and I know people who went to Pediatrics, Dental Anesthesiology, Endo, Prosth, Perio, and OMFS. It doesn't matter what school you go to.

Reactions: 2 users
UoP graduates you in 3 years. So in theory as long as UW isn't like $200K cheaper, it's worth it to go to UoP so you can finish earlier, go to your Pediatric Residency, and then start working as a Pediatric Dentist faster and thus starting your repayment quicker.

BTW, every school allows for "opportunity" to specialize. Don't believe others when they say that you have to go to a specific school to get into a residency. People say that because they try to justify going to "fancy" schools that cost a ton of money, but in reality it doesn't matter.

Put it this way, I went to UNLV (not known for being "an elite" school) and I know people who went to Pediatrics, Dental Anesthesiology, Endo, Prosth, Perio, and OMFS. It doesn't matter what school you go to.
Thank you so much!!! it's fair enough