UPenn waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickendump

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if any waitlisted folks who attended second look had info to share regarding the waitlist process.

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys i was at the preview and heard some numbers tossed around. i believe that there were 180 acceptances extended so far including the md/phd and last year there were a total of 220 acceptances. also i think movement starts on the 15th of may. remember that you are your biggest advocate... so get on that phone and make sure they know how much you love penn.

Members don't see this ad :)
i believe that there were 180 acceptances extended so far including the md/phd and last year there were a total of 220 acceptances.

That would mesh with my friend who is MS1 at Penn who said about 40 people came in off the waitlist from last year.

Keeping my fingers crossed and my interest letter mailed.

anyone waitlisted tier 1 w/ preview invite get in during preview?

assume those 40 slots include wait list but invited to preview ? (IWC number of those taken off hi wait list/non preview will be <<40)

It's 5/15, anyone heard news thus far about waitlist action? And if so, were you invited to PennPreview?

The waiting part of wait-listing sure does suck.

how can one be certain there will be any major movement off waitlist ? seems to me the school could simply overaccept a bit, ( doubt many people would turn down Penn) wait a few weeks after may 15 until they drop back below their class size, then offer a few more people in June..seems to me this would be the easiest thing from their standpoint..

Given what people have been saying in other waitlist threads (Hopkins, UMich, etc.), it doesn't seem like there will be much action until June, if at all.

how can one be certain there will be any major movement off waitlist ? seems to me the school could simply overaccept a bit, ( doubt many people would turn down Penn) wait a few weeks after may 15 until they drop back below their class size, then offer a few more people in June..seems to me this would be the easiest thing from their standpoint..

Schools do NOT want to over-enroll their class (class sizes are tightly controlled by the AAMC). Subsequently, they err on the side of caution by not offering too many acceptances... which inevitably leads to waitlist movement.

I doubt that the top schools like UPenn, Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF, etc. see overly dramatic fluctuations in their matriculation rates, so their waitlist numbers are probably more consistent than other schools, although my opinion is entirely speculative.

I called on the 15th and they said that no one had been accepted off the waitlist yet but that they expected some movement at the end of this week or early next week.

Schools do NOT want to over-enroll their class (class sizes are tightly controlled by the AAMC).

:thumbdown:

The only part that "control" that the AAMC exerts is prodding schools to increase their class sizes. The organization puts a great deal of pressure on schools to increase their class size, and over-enrollments do happen. BU over-enrolled by 21 students last year.

That said, I'm in the bottom-of-the-waitlist-barrel so I'm pretty much just scenery.

:luck: everybody.

it doesn't seem like there will be much action until June, if at all.

Last year 40 people got in off the wait-list...that is a bit more than 'at all'!!

Not being hostile, just hopeful :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year 40 people got in off the wait-list...that is a bit more than 'at all'!!

Not being hostile, just hopeful :D

yea... but i bet that includes those acceptances handed out at preview to those tier-1 w/ preview invites...

yea... but i bet that includes those acceptances handed out at preview to those tier-1 w/ preview invites...

Honestly though, how many people can that be? If I were Penn I'd invite not so many, because bringing someone to Preview and then denying them admission would be freakin' cruel.

Then again, cruel is the name of the game in this process...

Would being accepted off the waitlist affect financial aid? anyone know? I mean, of course we would still get sub stafford and such, but I could certainly use some need-based grant...

Would being accepted off the waitlist affect financial aid? anyone know? I mean, of course we would still get sub stafford and such, but I could certainly use some need-based grant...

The impression I got from most schools is that they don't run out of money, when it's need-based. I would assume a well-endowed university such as Penn would have a similar philosophy. Obviously merit awards are limited and waitlisters like you and me are lucky to get in to the school, not to mention get free money. But I wouldn't worry about your fin aid, I'm sure it will be similar to what you would have received at the end of March.

waitlisters like you and me are lucky to get in to the school, not to mention get free money.

Thanks for the advice ... that seemed logical, that they'd have a pretty big pool of money for need (really, is it money? i think it's all fake in this game).

I'll be thinking about you, snowman-like person. Let's get in!! (Although Cornell is a nice choice too :D)

really, is it money? i think it's all fake in this game

I'll be thinking about you, snowman-like person. Let's get in!! (Although Cornell is a nice choice too :D)

I agree. I don't really think it's money. It's some abstract concept involving the government and sallie. Sallie owns me.

Thanks! Good luck to you too!

Has anyone gotten off the Penn waitlist yet? If so, when and how were you contacted? Did your online status page change?

Both QuakerPreMed and I got in off the waitlist yesterday. I was in Tier 1 but not invited to second look or given any sort of "top of Tier 1" message. As far as I can tell, my post-waitlist updates made a big difference. Best of luck to everyone.

Both QuakerPreMed and I got in off the waitlist yesterday. I was in Tier 1 but not invited to second look or given any sort of "top of Tier 1" message. As far as I can tell, my post-waitlist updates made a big difference. Best of luck to everyone.

Congrats to both of you!!! It's great to know that Penn has started to look at the waitlist. I too am on the normal tier 1 waitlist, so I'm keeping the hope alive, having sent in substantial updates.

Even though I just withdrew from UPenn's top-of-tier 1 (no preview invite) waitlist, I had gotten the chance to talk with Gayle Scheffler by phone. She was incredibly kind and accommodating. From what I gathered, I surmised that strong interest on the waitlistees' part is very important, especially if you're top-of-tier-1 (in which case, I think a strong letter of intent/interest, followed by a phone call, can really be key in getting you admitted). She had even offered to review my financial aid forms to give me a sense of the aid package I would get (my demonstrated need is pretty high, so finaid was an important consideration), even as I was on the waitlist, so that I could decide whether I was strongly interested or committed to attending Penn. Even though I ultimately decided that Cornell was the place for me, it really broke my heart to withdraw from Penn. Penn's a great school with amazing resources, and I wish all of you waitlistees the best. And congrats to QuakerPreMed; I know how hopeful you were! I'm glad you got your top choice. =)

Congrats to you man. Yes, I think the post-waitlist updates made a big difference. It was obvious from our chat that Mrs. Sheffler had read them. They even gave me decent financial aid...sweet. Good luck to anyone out there still on the list!!

I am a Top Tier 1 wait listed person whose dream school is UPenn. Have sent in many updates. Have not still gotten the "call". I understand the class is full. Is there any hope? (I am in Alternate list in three other schools including my state school. No Acceptances yet. :confused:). I saw a late post 6/1sh?

I am a Top Tier 1 wait listed person whose dream school is UPenn. Have sent in many updates. Have not still gotten the "call". I understand the class is full. Is there any hope? (I am in Alternate list in three other schools including my state school. No Acceptances yet. :confused:). I saw a late post 6/1sh?

Im in the same boat RewardRisk. My heart is definitely set on attending Penn. I know that they will hold a few spots open until the beginning of August, so I suppose it comes down to who shows the most interest. I've sent in updates and called as well (though I am positive the receptionist hates me by now). Best of luck getting in buddy, if it comes down to me or you, I hope you get it (I'm currently accepted at a school in Florida, and if I can't have my top choice, the palm trees and constant sun will help me deal:)).

Im in the same boat RewardRisk. My heart is definitely set on attending Penn. I know that they will hold a few spots open until the beginning of August, so I suppose it comes down to who shows the most interest. I've sent in updates and called as well (though I am positive the receptionist hates me by now). Best of luck getting in buddy, if it comes down to me or you, I hope you get it (I'm currently accepted at a school in Florida, and if I can't have my top choice, the palm trees and constant sun will help me deal:)).

Thanks for the wishes... Shows your maturity and caring for others.. I have not given up yet on UPenn, but I am very close to it with only three weeks to go... While I still do not have any acceptances (still in three other Alternate Lists), I would be happy if you get into your first choice of UPenn. I know you would enjoy Florida school as well. I just wish the whole wait list process was more transparent and the schools were more forth right in sharing info in a timely, frequent basis, instead of building up your hopes initially with statements like "Top Tier 1... will hear in the early wait list process etc. and later giving you the "silent treatment." ... Guess, "Truth in Advertisement" principle and reciprocity does not apply here! Or may be they have valid(?) reasons or because they just could!!! Eternally optimistic. :)

The final rejection letter came. Not surprising, considering orientation started. It's been great hanging out with you all in this thread. Good luck to everyone!