Forum Members Upgrade feedback and bug log

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi @WildWing sorry for the retag, but is the current forum software based on Xenforo 2.1? XF 2.1 - Welcome to XenForo 2.1 / Assorted improvements

I ask because in that forum, the avatars are seemingly much larger, readability is better, navigation is better etc. I think if it's possible to recustomize this to improve the navigation and usability, it'd help.

The avatars are circular though. Wondering if it's possible to make it larger/rectangular as seen in vBulletin-based forum softwares.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Gah ok also bothered that the search options don't pop up when using a mobile browser - can't search within a particular thread/forum, or for a particular user's posts, it's just a general search bar which is pretty much useless

Reactions: 7 users
The new look is awful and it's far more than 2-3 users complaining. I gave you an angry face to your comment just so you could see how dumb I think it was. At least now I can express my annoyance with people both through the "reaction" function and quotes now.

Before my critiques, just want to say thank you for actually taking the time to read these and fix things that you are able to. If nothing else, I do appreciate the work you and the team are putting in.

That being said, I honestly cannot stand this new layout, and after being on for about 20 minutes it is legitimately giving me a headache. Font is too small, there is too much empty space which makes the font seem even smaller, the color scheme clashes significantly making the optics awful, the avatars are smaller than the banners and the user information seems to just be floating there, and the reactions, signatures, and "report/quote/reply" icons all just blend together since there are no buttons.

A lot of things which just make this format extremely user unfriendly.

I'll be honest, I have been fully planning to donate to this site as it has been a wealth of information to me over the years and just fun to be a part of. With this new change though I legitimately may stop using it altogether. Not only do I find the aesthetics frustrating, the current formats are actually forcing me to strain and giving me headaches. I'd love to stay around and really hope to, but I'm not about to continue using a site which causes me to feel physically unwell.

I thought the same thing. I specifically do not use reddit because the layout is that bad and I do not appreciate that this site is moving towards that.

The color scheme clashes and is bad. One thing I noticed is that the avatars are smaller than the banners, which is just weird and in addition to making people harder to identify is very aesthetically unpleasant. I like that the old user information on threads was in a nice little box so it could easily be found. Now it looks like it's just floating there and is weird.

Just checked the SDN light mode again and man, it's really blinding :dead::hungover:

Take a look at the Xenforo forum websites I linked above and see if the readability is better?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey @Stagg737 and anyone else who mentioned font size. Good news!

SDN.jpg

I'm just now noticing this but this smiley used to have a different look.
...actually quite a few smileys look different (and some new ones were added - and on that note, the style of the changed and new smileys clash with the old ones IMO). This one in particular (below) is minuscule in the selection list but apparently normal sized in the text box. None of the other smileys are like this.
:boom:

Reactions: 1 users
...actually quite a few smileys look different (and some new ones were added - and on that note, the style of the changed and new smileys clash with the old ones IMO). This one in particular (below) is minuscule in the selection list but apparently normal sized in the text box. None of the other smileys are like this.
Omg I couldn’t even find it at first

For whatever reason I can't get the upgrade to work on Chrome on my Mac. When I try to log in it just redirects me to the front page and fails to log me in. Might be a cache issue, I'll try clearing it and get back... Luckily Safari works fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was the old coffee one the old man with coffee?

@CoffeeQuestionMark sadly misses the coffee
coffee.png

It's an image I saved but should be added back to emoticon list

Gah ok also bothered that the search options don't pop up when using a mobile browser - can't search within a particular thread/forum, or for a particular user's posts, it's just a general search bar which is pretty much useless

Yeah, it is AWFUL in a mobile browser. Incompatible in some ways...

Do they still charge for the app? Could this be part of it?

I thought the app recently became free? :confused:

Did it? That’s why I asked lol
Apparently the App store let me redownload the app. But i cannot log in, ho hum

I increased the text size but it went back down when I switched to basic and the settings option disappeared. So I switched back.
The size option is currently available for me in basic. Can’t tell how much of a difference it makes though making it XL from medium.

For whatever reason I can't get the upgrade to work on Chrome on my Mac. When I try to log in it just redirects me to the front page and fails to log me in. Might be a cache issue, I'll try clearing it and get back... Luckily Safari works fine.

Watch this. Chrome has wonkiness with the recent change. Clearing the cookies resolves it.

Cookies problem. Clear them and it's fine

My sarcastic post in the pharmacy forum’s thread:

As a fun bonus, you can’t get to the account settings on an iPhone in portrait mode. You can only do so in landscape. And the dark mode no longer has a black background option, so it drains OLED phones’ batteries more to use. Thanks!

I find the new style is too much and this is coming from me, someone who loves colors and wears sports shoes that have 7+ colors!,
and on the plus side, with the new style, I can choose my own color, but then do I have to memorize the code, because there is no way I can add this code.

So can we have a way to add the new color code to the color panels?

Also. This reactions with comments will cause a lot of drama.
Also. the number of people's posts does not show unless we click on it or something :smack:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the hard work and the real-time fixes! I’m going to echo some of the things that have already been mentioned here:
-I still have a keyboard lag when typing in mobile form
-It would be nice/useful to have a more visible “OP” tag across the user’s photo, similar to the last version’s
-it would also be nice if the user’s post count, join date,and status were automatically visible without having to toggle the arrow underneath their avatar

Not a fan so far. Feels more like an EPIC EMR skin and I don't want to log on and feel like I'm still at work....

Maybe I missed it but is there an issue with embedded videos?

• Love
The weird thing about having a “reaction score” instead of the former like count is that you could have just as high a number from pissing people off (i.e., causing people to use anger emotes) as you would from being helpful. It kind of defeats the purpose of tallying it up; positive and negative reactions are just clumped together.
@Lawper tested this and the negative ones don't count

Not a fan so far. Feels more like an EPIC EMR skin and I don't want to log on and feel like I'm still at work....

Maybe I missed it but is there an issue with embedded videos?
Thanks, fixed it.

Confirmed working, any pending/current changes to mobile app interface? I have not noticed any changes so far.

Working now. Just tested - you might get logged-out the first time using it following the update.

Thanks, fixed it.
Not sure if it got lost in the thread, but wanted to make sure it was seen, since a couple others mentioned it too. Can we get page numbers back and the next/previous/page number buttons at the top too please?
Also, the save/delete draft button on both the basic and default themes is missing on the mobile browser version (haven’t checked dark).

What happened to the little circle button next to a thread that would automatically take you to the last point you read in the thread?

Yes, I know for some threads when you click on the title it takes you here, but other threads you haven't visited in weeks or months if you click on the title it doesn't immediately take you to the last point you were at on the thread. The little button next to the thread was what helped with that. Where the heck did you put it?

I won't drag on the fact that the styles are horrendous.... I'm still firmly in "BRING BACK COFFEE!!!" but if I can't have coffee style, I would like the old SDN style from erm... circa 2009 when I first joined, yes I am a fan of simplicity and tradition, it looked great and flowed well.... why change it?

Also the new thing with having a ton of stickied threads and "sub-threads" just makes it all look so unorganized and like a giant rat maze. Not a fan of sub-forums.... I prefer to visit one location, see all threads, and peruse them there. I don't even click on the sub-threads because way too much of a maze, plus I have to remember to do it... so all those questions regarding GRE or NAVLE over in pre-vet/veterinary are highly unlikely to get much traffic just because way too cluttered/maze-like.

Also, the notifications indication is super subtle.... if I hadn't thought.... "hmm, where did notifications go?" and had gone looking, I would have never seen that little red dot by the small bell in the upper right to realize I had a notification.