UPitt vs. Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paul510psu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been fortunate enough to be accepted into both of these high quality programs, but I am having a very difficult time deciding between them. If anyone has any advice then I would greatly appreciate it. I know that I should go to the school where I feel most comfortable, but I felt extremely comfortable at both of the schools.

Any input from current students of these two schools would also be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I was about to suggest Pitt as it would be vastly cheaper, but noticed you're attending with a military scholarship.

Asking for "input" is vague, but I suppose I can give you the pro's and con's of Maryland.

Pro's:
-most technological school in the country
-progressive curriculum (can also be a negative)
-chill student body
-boards after D1 -- get 3 months off to study if gunnin for 90s or vacay if you're cool with 80s
-excellent clinical education
-highly ranked in terms of NIH funding? -- doesn't really matter
-baltimore: cheap, big city experience, safe if you stay in right areas and don't deal drugs

Con's:
-school tries hard to remain "progressive" instead of just sticking to what works.
-basic science education is average but definitely provides a solid foundation
-perio department rules with an iron fist
-baltimore: sometimes depressing --> when i feel this way i head down to dc :thumbup:

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Maybe i'll see ya around next fall?

Hup

I was about to suggest Pitt as it would be vastly cheaper, but noticed you're attending with a military scholarship.

Asking for "input" is vague, but I suppose I can give you the pro's and con's of Maryland.

Pro's:
-most technological school in the country
-progressive curriculum (can also be a negative)
-chill student body
-boards after D1 -- get 3 months off to study if gunnin for 90s or vacay if you're cool with 80s
-excellent clinical education
-highly ranked in terms of NIH funding? -- doesn't really matter
-baltimore: cheap, big city experience, safe if you stay in right areas and don't deal drugs

Con's:
-school tries hard to remain "progressive" instead of just sticking to what works.
-basic science education is average but definitely provides a solid foundation
-perio department rules with an iron fist
-baltimore: sometimes depressing --> when i feel this way i head down to dc :thumbup:

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Maybe i'll see ya around next fall?

Hup

According to...? Yes, the $144 million facility is amazing...with the whole keycard access in to the elevators and very nice lecture rooms, but I wouldn't stretch that far...

Members don't see this ad :)
According to...? Yes, the $144 million facility is amazing...with the whole keycard access in to the elevators and very nice lecture rooms, but I wouldn't stretch that far...

Thanks for your not-so-pertinent reply.

Would you care to share the school that you believe is more technological?

Hup

Thanks for the help HupHolland. I'm looking for the school that makes me feel the most comfortable and most fits my personality, but I feel that both of these would be great in this regard. So, I'm torn.

I know that both schools are excellent clinically and that Baltimore and Pittsburgh are fairly comparable cities in their type of patient population. I am more familiar with Pittsburgh and I felt "at home" when I interviewed there.

Sorry I'm just thinking out loud. Thanks for the help Hup.

Did you interview at Pitt when you were going through the admissions process?

Thanks for the help HupHolland. I'm looking for the school that makes me feel the most comfortable and most fits my personality, but I feel that both of these would be great in this regard. So, I'm torn.

I know that both schools are excellent clinically and that Baltimore and Pittsburgh are fairly comparable cities in their type of patient population. I am more familiar with Pittsburgh and I felt "at home" when I interviewed there.

Sorry I'm just thinking out loud. Thanks for the help Hup.

Did you interview at Pitt when you were going through the admissions process?

sorry, didn't apply to Pitt. I'd attend where you felt most comfortable. If you need to, I'd visit each school again and feel out the city and students.

Best of luck and congrats,
Hup

I've decided to send my deposit to Pittsburgh. I could see myself attending Pitt more than I could UMD. I just think that it is a better fit for me.

Thanks for your help Hup, and good luck with the rest of dental school.