UPPER DIVISION BIOLOGY CLASSES - which ones are important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cofo

Super Cool Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What upper division biology classes do dental adcom's like to see an applicant take? In your opinion or if you know for a fact, please list them in order of importance. (example: 1. physiology 2. histology 3. molecular biology etc etc etc....)

Also, which upper-division biology classes will help me do better on the DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Adcom's :: Human Physiology, Microbiology, Anatomy, Biochemistry, Genetics, Histology, Cell and Molecular Biology
The first five are the fat 5's of UOP from what I've known. In comparing two competitive applications, if they can't decide (I got this info from dental club meetings) they'd look into the upper division classes that the students have taken. You might want to include other classes if you can like Medical Sociology or Psychology, Accounting, etc...
Based on some students who are already in dental school taking Biochemistry, Histology and even Neurobiology helped them when they're in dental school.

Better DAT:: Physiology, Microbiology, Ecology, Evolution, Biochemistry, Genetics, Quantitative Analysis, Physical Chemistry, Advance Organic Chemistry, Drafting Class (If you can find one take this, this is good for PAT), Math Classes even basics take it for review before DAT especially I would retake College Algebra to refresh my word problems and probably trigonometry. Philosophy makes you use to reading stuff.

Adcom's :: Human Physiology, Microbiology, Anatomy, Biochemistry, Genetics, Histology, Cell and Molecular Biology
The first five are the fat 5's of UOP from what I've known. In comparing two competitive applications, if they can't decide (I got this info from dental club meetings) they'd look into the upper division classes that the students have taken. You might want to include other classes if you can like Medical Sociology or Psychology, Accounting, etc...
Based on some students who are already in dental school taking Biochemistry, Histology and even Neurobiology helped them when they're in dental school.

Better DAT:: Physiology, Microbiology, Ecology, Evolution, Biochemistry, Genetics, Quantitative Analysis, Physical Chemistry, Advance Organic Chemistry, Drafting Class (If you can find one take this, this is good for PAT), Math Classes even basics take it for review before DAT especially I would retake College Algebra to refresh my word problems and probably trigonometry. Philosophy makes you use to reading stuff.

I wish that I took this graduate level advanced organic course. I think that'd lay an impression- it's a mean course to say the least. I hate course/time conflicts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish that I took this graduate level advanced organic course. I think that'd lay an impression- it's a mean course to say the least. I hate course/time conflicts.

Take whatever you find interesting. They listed some good ones and biochemistry, physio. , etc. will help.

If you enjoy the material, you'll perform better. So, do what intrigues you.

histo was awesome

Will taking Anatomy & Physiology really impress the Adcoms???
And will it help me on the DAT, or could I just learn the Anatomy&Physiology by reading from a DAT prep book? (like topscore, or shuams bio?)
I'd rather take histology&cytology, physiology...

if you take histo, you can learn both histo and some physio. Since they go hand in hand. I would take histo over anatomy but obviously taking both would be the best choice.

As for impressing the adcoms... couple of upper level bio classes will not impress them since most people are bio majors anyways.

I took histo over anatomy since dental histo is mad crazy, I wanted a heads up.

Anatomy would be really helpful.

I didn't take it during undergrad and I am paying for it right now. :(

Anatomy is an awesome and interesting class especially if you lab uses cadavers. I'd take anatomy any day again... Except it's a lot of work.

"You'll learn more words in a semester than a first year language student..." quoted from my professor.

Histology for me was hands down the best course that helped me in dental school. I may be a bit biased though... I took the class my last semester in undergrad and took it again in August for dental school, so I think I remembered a lot more.

Texas schools require biochemistry now, and I would imagine a lot of other schools do too.

Any of the other courses that people have mentioned are great ones to take... however, Genetics and Molecular biology would be my last choices. You cover a little bit of molecular and genetics in biochemistry in dental school, but nothing you can't learn then IMO. You should already have a little bit of background from your basic biology courses to do well enough on the DAT.

I would not take Anatomy unless it is offered through the biology department. My school did not have human anatomy in the biology department, only the allied health department (nursing majors). I took comparative anatomy instead, and even though it didn't really help for dental school, it is still a good course, covers tons of information, and shows the type of student you are if you can handle it.

If your school offers a pathology course, take that. It will give you a little bit of background for path in dental school. I took an intro one, and it was a good course. And another good course was Medical Law and Ethics... still a upper science course at my school, but different from the other courses mentioned. We discussed court cases and decisions on things like abortion, right to die, etc.

In the end, choose the courses that interest you, and you will do fine.