• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Upper division biology courses

UCStudent999

2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2018
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I need to take a couple upper division biology courses to cover the 1 year of biology requirement for med school. Can I take any course listed as biology? There is an environmental science course about sustainable energy, and a course about ecology that look interesting and are listed in the biology department. Will these count towards the requirement, or are medical schools looking for more "premed-type" biology courses such as physiology?

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
    Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Jul 26, 2009
    The Big Bad Apple
    1. Non-Student
      I need to take a couple upper division biology courses to cover the 1 year of biology requirement for med school. Can I take any course listed as biology? There is an environmental science course about sustainable energy, and a course about ecology that look interesting and are listed in the biology department. Will these count towards the requirement, or are medical schools looking for more "premed-type" biology courses such as physiology?
      I believe that for most schools you are required to take 1 year of intro level biology

1) many schools specifically require a year of introductory /general bio with lab. Some just require a year of bio
      2) if OP has AP Bio credits then a year of upper level bio is acceptable at most (not all) schools as a replacement
      3) the environmental science courses technically fulfill the need but may not impress some schools or adcoms who look at specific prereqs
      4) the environmental courses will not aid in prep for MCAT where ad courses in biochem, genetics, and a host of other courses would help

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.