Upper division sciences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to start out at a local community college before transferring up to a four year. In addition, I would like to pursue engineering. In order to not get too far behind, I'll probably need to start knocking out at least some of the medical school pre-requisites at the CC. My question is: If I can pull out A's in my pre-req. classes (some of which will also be part of an engineering curriculum), will med schools not frown so deeply upon me if I were to take upper division classes later on in college?

I'd appreciate some insight on this. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Taken from the University of Washington (which I dare say, is a great med school):

"The bottom line is that you should take the prehealth courses where ever it is best for you to take them. This doesn't mean where you can get the highest grades, but where you will learn the material as well as possible. If community college is the best place for you now, take the courses there. Once you transfer to the UW, however, it is generally not a good idea to return to the community college to take additional science classes."

Take them. Ace them. And then go to your university and kick ass there too.

http://www.washington.edu/uaa/gateway/advising/prehealth/transfers.php

It won't hurt you if you can knock out As in the prereqs as well as some upper division courses, but those are still just 'ifs'. People will tell you different things. Honestly, if you get good grades you get good grades, of course you can cast the shadow of "community college" over it but this element is present to such a small degree that it would be negligible.

If, however, you get As at CC and Bs at university, it may raise some concern.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think as long as you consistently show that you can get good grades, no matter where you take classes, you should be fine. Taking upper division courses at a four-year and doing well in them will show the adcoms you can handle intense courses. It's like if you go into a four-year university with AP credit. You have that credit from the test but they strongly recommend taking some other type of upper division course to supplement that credit. I would suggest, though, completing just your general education at the cc. If you choose to take pre-reqs at the cc, don't take too many. Save them for a four-year university.

take the pre-req's at CC.
but you must take upper levels at a 4 year
and you'll be fine..

I think as long as you consistently show that you can get good grades, no matter where you take classes, you should be fine. Taking upper division courses at a four-year and doing well in them will show the adcoms you can handle intense courses. It's like if you go into a four-year university with AP credit. You have that credit from the test but they strongly recommend taking some other type of upper division course to supplement that credit. I would suggest, though, completing just your general education at the cc. If you choose to take pre-reqs at the cc, don't take too many. Save them for a four-year university.

That's what I'm hoping to do. And I know that people will give out different opinions on this. I doubt there are many engineering majors on here, let alone ones who started at a CC, so I'm going to have to just decide for myself what I want to do as far as pre-reqs. are concerned.

What are some typical upper level science classes?

I'd like to also complete some graduate level coursework later on in college if I can as well. Not sure if that would help me admissions-wise, though. <--Unrelated, but I just want to throw it out there.

some typical upper level science courses are cell biology, anatomy, physiology, neurobiology, microbiology, immunology & histology, freshwater ecosystems, biochemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, quantitative chemistry, advanced organic chemistry, and etc.