Upper level courses most relevant to/helpful for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Garurumon

a digivolving wolf
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to take biochemistry and biostatistics next year, because the first will prepare me for the new MCAT and apparently many schools strongly recommend it though it's not required, and the second will replace the calculus requirement some schools have (which is great, because I strongly dislike math). I can squeeze in an upper-level course into my schedule, though I'm lost on what would be the best course to take, out of all the ones my school offers: endocrinology, advanced human anatomy, general physiology, virology, cancer biology, immunology, pathophysiology, molecular biology, and embryology. I've already taken microbiology and genetics: pre-reqs for the rest of the classes above. Surgery and oncology are my long-term interests. I would just like opinions on what would be the most helpful or relevant class, considering the med school curriculum and my interests. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

From the medical students I've talked to, anatomy, immunology, and histology are the most useful.

Of course, the real answer to your question is "whichever you're most interested in," since undergraduate classes won't truly prepare you for medical school classes.

Reactions: 1 users
You can find lists of books used by a med school and start reading.

Better than jeopardizing GPA!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My personal recommendation: take all the prerequisite courses and all the courses required by your college and major. Do not take any upper-division science courses that are not explicitly required unless you have a genuine interest in the subject matter.

Like allenlchs said above and what I've observed from SDN, too many people end up doing significant damages to their science and overall GPAs because they overloaded themselves with science courses that they don't need.

Taking a bunch of optional upper-division courses will not impress medical schools, and I highly doubt it will make your application any more competitive. Put the energy and time elsewhere, and you'll be thankful for it come admissions time.

Reactions: 1 users
I plan to take biochemistry and biostatistics next year, because the first will prepare me for the new MCAT and apparently many schools strongly recommend it though it's not required, and the second will replace the calculus requirement some schools have (which is great, because I strongly dislike math). I can squeeze in an upper-level course into my schedule, though I'm lost on what would be the best course to take, out of all the ones my school offers: endocrinology, advanced human anatomy, general physiology, virology, cancer biology, immunology, pathophysiology, molecular biology, and embryology. I've already taken microbiology and genetics: pre-reqs for the rest of the classes above. Surgery and oncology are my long-term interests. I would just like opinions on what would be the most helpful or relevant class, considering the med school curriculum and my interests. Thanks! :)
IMO, of the upper-level courses available to you, general physiology, molecular biology, and immunology would be most helpful to a solid grounding, in that order.

Thanks for all the responses! I guess it boils down to personal preference, then. I'm learning toward physiology; it seems really interesting to learn. Don't worry about me overloading with hard science courses...I can't. The rest of my schedule is finishing up my English major and honors college courses. The only pre-med prereqs I need to take are 2 semesters of physics. Overall I've kept a balance of science and liberal arts throughout my years in college. I've always avoided trying to take too many science courses at once. :p

True story.

I took 2 biostat courses in college. By the time I saw the material in med school, the only thing I remembered were the words sensitivity and specificity. Similar story applies to med micro in college. The advantage is that you will feel more comfortable when you see the material again in med school.

From the medical students I've talked to, anatomy, immunology, and histology are the most useful.

Of course, the real answer to your question is "whichever you're most interested in," since undergraduate classes won't truly prepare you for medical school classes.

Anatomy and histo are low yield subjects on Step 1. Immuno is covered in like 3 weeks in med school.

Taking med micro or biochem 1 in college might better choices since they are bigger subjects in 1st year.

Medical micro, biochem, anatomy, physio, histology and immunology.

Personally if I had to be in college before med shcool again I would take micro and anatomy. These are purely factual and I think the repetition would help me retain the knowledge better.

Thanks for all the responses! I guess it boils down to personal preference, then. I'm learning toward physiology; it seems really interesting to learn. Don't worry about me overloading with hard science courses...I can't. The rest of my schedule is finishing up my English major and honors college courses. The only pre-med prereqs I need to take are 2 semesters of physics. Overall I've kept a balance of science and liberal arts throughout my years in college. I've always avoided trying to take too many science courses at once. :p
Are you sure you want to go to med school? :p

IMO, of the upper-level courses available to you, general physiology, molecular biology, and immunology would be most helpful to a solid grounding, in that order.

What about genetics? Or Immunobiology?
Also, I realize it's useless but is a 600 level Toxicology worth anything? (Assuming someone took it out of marginal self-interest)

Are you sure you want to go to med school? :p
Haha yes, I am. I'm more than halfway through the pre-reqs...I think I've come pretty far and I don't wanna give up now. I know I'll be in for a ton of science material in med school...there's no way around it, that's for sure. Still, I want to enjoy my English classes in college while I still can. :3

Haha yes, I am. I'm more than halfway through the pre-reqs...I think I've come pretty far and I don't wanna give up now. I know I'll be in for a ton of science material in med school...there's no way around it, that's for sure. Still, I want to enjoy my English classes in college while I still can. :3

Thank god that nightmare is over with........ I'm happy I just survived those courses (A 101, A- 102, and a 88.8% B in Speech).

and you know what I still feel like I need a refresher just to write a paper! Geez.

Glad you enjoy it though.