Question about reinvention

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed3556

Reaction score
Hi All,
I’m on a reinvention journey and taking postbacc classes to improve my low GPA. I understand 30-40 credits in postbacc classes are considered adequate. As of now, I completed 13 units, taking 1-2 classes a quarter because of my full time job and other responsibilities. I’m now wondering if that course workload would be perceived as too light and maybe would be looked at unfavorably?
I would appreciate advice about the classes I’m taking (and took) and if they are good for reinvention postbacc: neurobio, immunology, intro psych, medical microbiology, exercise physiology, medical terminology. I’m planning to complete intro to hematology, intro to pharmacology, human anatomy.

Also, is hospital volunteering and clinical research coordinator good for clinical experiences?
For community service, I volunteer at the animal shelter and food bank.

Edit: another question came to mind.
Would I be considered a disadvantaged applicant? I was homeschooled in high school and studied primarily independently, while I had to stay home and care for two disabled family members. I think that put me at a disadvantage compared to my peers in terms of acquiring social and academic skills and experiences. So, when I started college, I was playing catch up while continuing to live at home and continuing to care for my relatives. I don’t want to make excuses but I think that made it hard to do well in college classes and contributed to my low gpa. I also lived in a one income household.

I will appreciate any advice or insight!
Thank you.

@Goro @LizzyM @gonnif

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,
I’m on a reinvention journey and taking postbacc classes to improve my low GPA. I understand 30-40 credits in postbacc classes are considered adequate. As of now, I completed 13 units, taking 1-2 classes a quarter because of my full time job and other responsibilities. I’m now wondering if that course workload would be perceived as too light and maybe would be looked at unfavorably?
I would appreciate advice about the classes I’m taking (and took) and if they are good for reinvention postbacc: neurobio, immunology, intro psych, medical microbiology, exercise physiology, medical terminology. I’m planning to complete intro to hematology, intro to pharmacology, human anatomy.

Also, is hospital volunteering and clinical research coordinator good for clinical experiences?
For community service, I volunteer at the animal shelter and food bank.

Edit: another question came to mind.
Would I be considered a disadvantaged applicant? I was homeschooled in high school and studied primarily independently, while I had to stay home and care for two disabled family members. I think that put me at a disadvantage compared to my peers in terms of acquiring social and academic skills and experiences. So, when I started college, I was playing catch up while continuing to live at home and continuing to care for my relatives. I don’t want to make excuses but I think that made it hard to do well in college classes and contributed to my low gpa. I also lived in a one income household.

I will appreciate any advice or insight!
Thank you.

@Goro @LizzyM @gonnif
1) Those classes are good. Further options include genetics, virology, toxicology, genomics etc. You will probably want to take at least 8-12 credits a semester to show you can handle multiple classes and keep it from taking so long. I do not know how much that is in quarter units, but it likely is 12-15 quarter units across the whole semester.

2) Those activities are fine for clinical experience. Make sure the CRC position involves face-to-face interactions with patients as opposed to research subjects. Focus on food bank for community service. I am sure animal shelter work can be a talking point, but you will want significant hours directed to helping people.

3) You can explain that in the disadvantaged section for AMCAS or use it in an adversity essay.

Reactions: 3 users
additive to chilly:

Reactions: 2 users
1) Those classes are good. Further options include genetics, virology, toxicology, genomics etc. You will probably want to take at least 8-12 credits a semester to show you can handle multiple classes and keep it from taking so long. I do not know how much that is in quarter units, but it likely is 12-15 quarter units across the whole semester.

2) Those activities are fine for clinical experience. Make sure the CRC position involves face-to-face interactions with patients as opposed to research subjects. Focus on food bank for community service. I am sure animal shelter work can be a talking point, but you will want significant hours directed to helping people.

3) You can explain that in the disadvantaged section for AMCAS or use it in an adversity essay.
Thank you!
I'll keep those other class options in mind. I'm currently taking 2 classes a quarter, which is about 8 quarter units/5 semester units. I'll try to bump up my workload next time. I'm doing the classes on UC Extension online because of schedule conflicts from work. My nearby 4-year university and community college only offer classes during the daytime while I'm at work. I'm curious if online work would look bad? Although I don't think it really shows on transcripts if I completed the classes online..

My CRC position is with research subjects unfortunately. Perhaps I'll look for additional clinical volunteering elsewhere, like hospice. If anything, I think my CRC work will give me good experience working and leading many people which I haven't done before.

It’s not a problem to do courses online when you are working full time; it’s common and acceptable to most schools (not sure if there are any exceptions).

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you!
I'll keep those other class options in mind. I'm currently taking 2 classes a quarter, which is about 8 quarter units/5 semester units. I'll try to bump up my workload next time. I'm doing the classes on UC Extension online because of schedule conflicts from work. My nearby 4-year university and community college only offer classes during the daytime while I'm at work. I'm curious if online work would look bad? Although I don't think it really shows on transcripts if I completed the classes online..

My CRC position is with research subjects unfortunately. Perhaps I'll look for additional clinical volunteering elsewhere, like hospice. If anything, I think my CRC work will give me good experience working and leading many people which I haven't done before.
As LunaOri pointed out, online classes are fine. UC Extension is a popular way to do them.

Reactions: 1 user