Upper Level Credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikeshp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have high school credit for chem and bio. i am a biochem major, i have to take genetics and biochemistry with lab, so i figure that will do for the biology requirement, so im not worried about those grades.

however, with chem, i take p. chem for my major, i figure i just have to take lab with that. how hard is p. chem? will p.chem + high school college credit for gen chem fulfill most requirements? if not, would anyone know of a class called qualitative analysis w/ lab cover that as well? how hard is this? if my bcpm gets lowered by these upper levels, will med schools see this, and be a little bit nicer?

Members don't see this ad.

P chem (at my school at least) was really very difficult. I'm a chem major and had to take two semesters of it and was just about ready throw a party when I was finally finished. Quite honestly, even if you have AP credit or whatever for chemistry, it's not a bad idea to take gen chem. There's a good chance that your college class will be more in-depth and prepare you better for the MCAT, and even if it is all a review, you'll have one more A to factor into your BCPM GPA.

I did take a Qualitative Analysis class for my chem major too. At my school, it was essentially Gen Chem 2, for majors. It wasn't too bad, but I don't know what it would be like at your school.

well the thing is, i have to take p chem for my major, biochem, anyways, so although i heard it is very difficult, even if i take gen chem over, i still have to take p chem so i see no point.

if qualitative analysis isn't too bad, i might take that. i guess i will decide between that and inorganic chemistry.

so would med schools see these upper levels and be more forgiving for a b in these courses rather than a B in gen chem? i also heard that med schools would see that i would take gen chem my junior year, after taking biochem and two semesters of organic and stuff like that, so they wouldn't be to happy about that.

so would med schools see these upper levels and be more forgiving for a b in these courses rather than a B in gen chem? i also heard that med schools would see that i would take gen chem my junior year, after taking biochem and two semesters of organic and stuff like that, so they wouldn't be to happy about that.

I don't know about this for sure, but I really hope so. I got Bs in both semesters of Pchem, and I was really pleased about it because it was so hard. I'm not sure how familiar adcoms are with it, but I would imagine that they see that fairly frequently. I'm applying this cycle, so I guess I'll find out!

But yeah, I don't recommend taking gen chem after biochem and orgo. Better to do it first, or not at all if you decide to use your high school credit.