Upper Level knowing your grades!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docscience

AZCOM (Junior Member)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, congrats to all that matched today! Hooray!

I am on the surgery service and I overheard a conversation that the residents/interns were having about the students that matched to the program. They said:
"oh these three are great, but these three are horrible."
"this student rotated at this program when I was an intern and he was a horrible student"
"this student only got a 195 on her boards"

Is this frustrating for interns or do the upper levels treat interns with respect and not share their grades? Does this influence what they think about you on the service? Trust your clinical judgement and such?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

First, congrats to all that matched today! Hooray!

I am on the surgery service and I overheard a conversation that the residents/interns were having about the students that matched to the program. They said:
"oh these three are great, but these three are horrible."
"this student rotated at this program when I was an intern and he was a horrible student"
"this student only got a 195 on her boards"

Is this frustrating for interns or do the upper levels treat interns with respect and not share their grades? Does this influence what they think about you on the service? Trust your clinical judgement and such?

Thanks.
Residents at some places know interviewee stats especially if they have a voice in helping pick who gets in, so I don't think that's really surprising. But honestly if you've gotten in I'm pretty sure they'll judge you on how you do.

More and more programs are asking for strong resident input when deciding their rank order list.

So residents are now more involved in choosing their future interns - especially the PGY-4s, who will be chiefs when the new batch of interns start.

...So residents are now more involved in choosing their future interns - especially the PGY-4s, who will be chiefs when the new batch of interns start.

Yeah, these folks will be your bosses for all intents and purposes, either immediately, or in a few years. Bosses typically get to know a lot of your background stats during the "hiring" process. So OP you just have to deal with it.

So yesterday I attended a mandatory journal club meeting on one of my clerkships. Before reviewing the articles there was a powerpoint slideshow of incoming interns displaying their names, pics, and medical schools attended.

While none of the residents made any overtly disparaging remarks, there were definitely, "hmmms" and "uhhhhhs" and "oooh, not that one" shared around the roundtable. The new interns were entirely carribean grads and the reaction to that was also not supportive, especially when you consider that many of the current residents came from carribean schools as well! If you didn't want them on board, why rank them?

The most disturbing and unprofessional part about it all was that they did this all in front of an entire clerkship of 3rd year medical students.

I was never asked to help rank residency candidates, nor were other house staff at my medicine program. The chief residents I think were involved in giving tours to applicants, but that was it. We would never have been given their grades or USMLE scores, either. I do think it is inappropriate that upper levels should have someone's USMLE scores and grades. However, you cannot control what other people say and do. All you can do is work hard, try to avoid people who are malignant, and treat your patients the way you would want to be treated. Also, avoid programs where your personality doesn't fit with the other people there.

I was never asked to help rank residency candidates, nor were other house staff at my medicine program. The chief residents I think were involved in giving tours to applicants, but that was it. We would never have been given their grades or USMLE scores, either. I do think it is inappropriate that upper levels should have someone's USMLE scores and grades. However, you cannot control what other people say and do. All you can do is work hard, try to avoid people who are malignant, and treat your patients the way you would want to be treated. Also, avoid programs where your personality doesn't fit with the other people there.

I'm not sure what the big deal is. When I was an associate at a law firm, I regularly helped interview and was involved in the hiring process of new hirees. I had access to their GPA and LSAT score, whether they passed the bar exam, etc. And I was far younger and more recently out of law school than the typical chief resident. I'm not sure what the big deal is. I was going to be one of these new people's bosses, and I was assisting in the hiring (or not hiring) of them. I don't think the anology of associate to resident, attending to partner, is particularly different across the fields. This is how business do things. If a younger professional is going to work with a new hiree, they may well be involved in the recruitment/decision making. And to make good decisions, you need all the facts, including grades. I guess I'm missing what's the big deal. Now I wouldn't share that info with med students on their clerkship, but residents who get to vote on whether they want this individual in their program? Sure.

Maybe its different in surgery.

We always had senior residents formally interview candidates and had full access to their file, including USMLE scores, LORs, grades, etc. All residents were invited to submit comments about the students and attend the ranking sessions.

NOW, it was inappropriate to review the matched candidates in front of rotating medical students especially if the current residents aren't professional and polite enough to keep their negative comments to themselves. The event should have been celebratory and encouraging for future medical students. I'd say this tells us something very interesting about this program and its residents.

Of course, this is medicine. Even the students knew some things about the incoming class on some services where I rotated. People love to talk.