Do you let your PD know about "accomplishments"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reggiano

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
E.g., if you get an oral presentation, do you shoot an email to the PD to let him/her know? PD is not one of the abstract authors so I didn't email the PD (obviously I let all the abstract authors know).

Part of me doesn't want to email the PD because the last time I emailed him all excited saying I was selected for an oral presentation (during my intern year), all I got in response was "Congrats." and this was like 2 weeks later.... I thought he completely didn't care during those two weeks, and his lackluster response kind of confirmed my suspicions... and I don't want to go through that ever again....

Anyway, I figure he will see it on the CV I present to him later (when it comes to job hunting).

(Overall I feel very unsupported and unrecognized for anything I accomplish, and have come here to vent my frustrations.)

Members don't see this ad.

E.g., if you get an oral presentation, do you shoot an email to the PD to let him/her know? PD is not one of the abstract authors so I didn't email the PD (obviously I let all the abstract authors know).

Part of me doesn't want to email the PD because the last time I emailed him all excited saying I was selected for an oral presentation (during my intern year), all I got in response was "Congrats." and this was like 2 weeks later.... I thought he completely didn't care during those two weeks, and his lackluster response kind of confirmed my suspicions... and I don't want to go through that ever again....

Anyway, I figure he will see it on the CV I present to him later (when it comes to job hunting).

(Overall I feel very unsupported and unrecognized for anything I accomplish, and have come here to vent my frustrations.)

Not a bad idea to let him know. Can't hurt.

Reactions: 1 users

Don't update them.

My PD is notoriously difficult to get in touch with via email and about half the emails I send are never responded to (or fall by the wayside). I still let him and the division director/department chair know when I have an accomplishment--I just don't depend on their congrats. It's more of an FYI than a solicitation of feedback and helps when I go to request that time off from clinical duties.

Now, my residency PD would bring me a treat if I let her know of an accomplishment like that. As would half of my residency 'mentors' (unofficial ones--people I'd talk to about random things without an official mentoring relationship). Moving between the two environments was jarring, but I have plenty of cheerleaders now that I don't need the PD's praises too.

Reactions: 2 users
My PD is notoriously difficult to get in touch with via email and about half the emails I send are never responded to (or fall by the wayside). I still let him and the division director/department chair know when I have an accomplishment--I just don't depend on their congrats. It's more of an FYI than a solicitation of feedback and helps when I go to request that time off from clinical duties.

Now, my residency PD would bring me a treat if I let her know of an accomplishment like that. As would half of my residency 'mentors' (unofficial ones--people I'd talk to about random things without an official mentoring relationship). Moving between the two environments was jarring, but I have plenty of cheerleaders now that I don't need the PD's praises too.

Lol my PD doesnt care if I call a STEMI and save a pts life. (Tru story btw)

I think it makes sense to let whoever your most direct mentor is know. In residency that's probably your PD, though if you have a mentor in a specific field you're considering for fellowship I'd let them know.

The idea isn't really for them to give you congrats (although if they do, that certainly feels nice and is appreciated during the drudgery of residency), but more importantly so they can stay in touch with how you're being productive academically. Gives them things to brag about if they're talking with someone about you, and is particularly helpful if you're seriously considering a career in academia so they know how your CV is shaping up.

So, you don't need to let them know about every little thing like poster, but an oral presentation or publication or what have you definitely merits an email. Even if you don't get a response that strokes your ego, they'll probably file that information away and it may be helpful in the future.

You might want to evaluate why it bothers you so much you didn't get an immediate and effusive response. They aren't your buddy or your cheerleader. You gave them info and they gave you congratulations. Your feelings on the matter shouldn't rely upon them jumping for joy and calling you immediately to gush over how great it is.

Reactions: 3 users
After three years of being gaslight by my PD with responses like "well, you only did that because you did it for yourself" when I won an award or achieved anything (despite all my efforts being towards furthering my program), I know your pain

After three years of being gaslight by my PD with responses like "well, you only did that because you did it for yourself" when I won an award or achieved anything (despite all my efforts being towards furthering my program), I know your pain

Well of course you do things to improve you as a doctor for yourself! If it has a side benefit to your program , that’s great, but no one is motivated by purely altruistic motives to do things that dont have some benefit to themselves.
Next time he says that say, yes...and?

Reactions: 1 user