Upper-level Science Courses???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

watiswati

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Neuroscience major and I'm trying to decide which upper level Bio, Chem, and Psych classes will be most appealing to med schools (and possibly pharm school) and most beneficial for me to take in my future preparations. I have two categories of classes to choose from and am planning to take a couple from each category but need some advice on which classes to choose.

Behaviorial:
Physiological Psychology
Comparative Psychology
Psychopharmacology
Cognitive Neuroscience
Animal Behavior

Cell/Systems:
General Endocrinology
Molecular Neuroscience
Developmental Biology (Embryology)
Neurophysiology
Neurochemistry

Any insight from anyone who has taken these classes or is familiar with them is welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

it doesn't matter two licks which upper level science classes you take (at least to the med schools)

so take the courses that have good professors, easy tests, or that really interest you.

good luck,
S

stoic said:
it doesn't matter two licks which upper level science classes you take (at least to the med schools)

so take the courses that have good professors, easy tests, or that really interest you.
EXACTLY. the myth that med schools are impressed with your class selection is one that i, too, bought into at first. but think about it: do med school adcoms really have time to subjectively evaluate everyone's transcript regarding specific classes? no. its all about the GPA--specific classes are probably only used as tie-breakers among very similar applicants (if at all). i had 8 interviews, and, despite my best efforts to take diverse/interesting/challenging classes, specific courses that i took were brought up a grand total of zero times.

Members don't see this ad :)
ofcourse interest comes first, however, don't you feel that if a person took a lot of cake classes, he or she wouldn't be as well prepared for medical school as one that challenged him or herself and took advantage of the more "difficult" courses his or her college had to offer.

Surely some classes will aid in medical school or just knowledge helpful to have attained and know. However, all in all, if it comes down to the rind with similar interest in two classes and IF gpa is an issue, surely go for the easier one since a harder class won't help inmed school if you can't get in :scared: .

Psychopharm for pharm school, gen. endo., embryology, and neurochem. That's MY preference, though. There might be classes within those that are much more suited to your tastes and what you will need for medical school.

None of these classes sound like "cake classes" to me. They all sound beneficial and like they could be interesting...IF they interest you. Taking a class that could help you get into med school will not help if it's so boring and awful that you won't do well out of sheer disinterest in the material.

OP, what would you take if you weren't trying to go to med school? That's how you should think about it. Whatever you would want to take free of advice is what anyone, even ad coms, would want you to take.