Upper level science labs and committees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChE04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For you guys who did/are doing a post bacc with upper level science classes... did you take the corresponding labs with these courses? I'm planning on skipping biochemistry lab and 1 other. They are just so time consuming... If it's just for "lab experience," then the fact that I will be working part time doing research in a lab should make up for that, no?

Also... anyone have any experience getting a committee letter after only 3 semesters of schoolwork at the institution issuing it? I am really not a fan of the whole committee thing; seems very arbitrary to have a bunch of profs get together, look at your transcript, personal statement, and extracurriculars (no interview!), and decide whether or not they think you will be a good fit for medical school...

Members don't see this ad.

For you guys who did/are doing a post bacc with upper level science classes... did you take the corresponding labs with these courses? I'm planning on skipping biochemistry lab and 1 other. They are just so time consuming... If it's just for "lab experience," then the fact that I will be working part time doing research in a lab should make up for that, no?

I'm skipping biochem lab also next year. I had to take the Cell bio lab and genetics lab since the lab was part of the overall grade.

I'm guessing you have all the required labs for admission.
I have found the cell bio labs and genetics labs to be very very helpful in understanding the concepts and bio stuff since I have an engineering background.

Since you are working in the lab, my recommendation is to skip.

Also... anyone have any experience getting a committee letter after only 3 semesters of schoolwork at the institution issuing it? I am really not a fan of the whole committee thing; seems very arbitrary to have a bunch of profs get together, look at your transcript, personal statement, and extracurriculars (no interview!), and decide whether or not they think you will be a good fit for medical school...

Yup same boat, I only have 2 semesters and a total of two classes.I'm struggling to get letters to fulfill some institution's mandatory 2 faculty letters. But my advisor did say that the committee letter can be used in place of a faculty letter.

I have not gotten the letter yet since I still have to take the MCAT, so I'm no help. From what I get from your post, your committee letter requires a more rigorous process compared to ours.