Help choosing upper level science classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnnMarieLastrassi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a Bachelor's in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (cgpa 3.4, sgpa 3.4), obtained in 2014. A masters in Immunology from a university in France (gpa converts to a 4.0) that I obtained in 2017. I have been working in a lab ever since. I have finished all of my prereqs. I'd like to start taking classes again at the Harvard Extension to show schools that I am still a good student. I am looking at upper level science courses but am still debating which types of courses I should pick since I have already a bunch under my belt from undergrad and grad school.

Also, does anyone have experience at Harvard Extension School and would be willing to talk about it? I can't seem to find any extensive threads, forums or online communities for that premed program.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just one opinion--I think 2014 is recent enough that you don't need to take more classes just to show you haven't lapsed. Raising your GPA might be another matter, But don't you have too many hours in your major for another few classes to make a difference? So I would just not take classes unless there's something in which you are really interested.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with above. While my gap between undergrad and med school was grad school, it was an 8 year gap. I just went with my undergrad GPA (and a few graduate classes I took) and did fine.

Getting an A in a few classes doesn't prove much more and instead could harm your GPA. Schools care that you can rock a full course load opposed to getting an A in a single or few advanced science courses.

I would say take courses only if they interest you or if you feel it will fill in gaps that you may have in your education.

Now if you want to do a little GPA damage control (and I stress little since a few courses can only do so much), that may be a different story.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on my post and sorry for the late response! I didn't think anybody wrote back and didn't think to check.

I was really thinking of taking a few classes to get more recent LORs and raise my GPA a bit. I can get one LOR from undergrad and one from my PI in grad school but I want something from a recent course that could speak to the student I am today. It's been such a long time since undergrad and the process of getting my professors in France to write anything is not worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
The LOR is a compelling reason. I took an upper level course (in a topic in which I was genuinely interested) specifically to get a letter. I told the prof up front that I was going to need a letter. Fortunately, this was a class with two presentations and a final paper, so she had plenty of opportunity to evaluate me. My other two were, like yours, from my PI and my undergrad advisor (eons ago).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Bachelor's in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (cgpa 3.4, sgpa 3.4), obtained in 2014. A masters in Immunology from a university in France (gpa converts to a 4.0) that I obtained in 2017. I have been working in a lab ever since. I have finished all of my prereqs. I'd like to start taking classes again at the Harvard Extension to show schools that I am still a good student. I am looking at upper level science courses but am still debating which types of courses I should pick since I have already a bunch under my belt from undergrad and grad school.

Also, does anyone have experience at Harvard Extension School and would be willing to talk about it? I can't seem to find any extensive threads, forums or online communities for that premed program.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I would first start worrying about the MCAT. Your undergrad GPA is decent enough for D.O. schools for sure. A high MCAT will put you in the running for some of the lower tier M.D. schools. LoRs, ECs all taken care of? Start working on the whole application instead of just focusing on pre-reqs.
Good luck