Upstate MedPrep MedScholars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanilla96

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone applying to SMPs, postbaccs, etc. this year! I am a current MS1 who completed the inaugural (Fall 2019) SUNY Upstate MedPrep program in and wanted to encourage you all to apply for the Fall 2021 class! We had a 100% matriculation rate to Upstate Medical School our inaugural year and second year!

This is a relatively unknown program, making it a "hidden gem" of sorts. I encourage everyone looking for an academic enhancement 1-year program to apply or at least inquire! The staff is suuuper super nice and happy to help.

The program link is here: Med Scholars Med School Prep: MS | College of Health Professions | SUNY Upstate Medical University The application opens up in October, and its probably a little too early to be making this post, but just wanted you guys to be aware, as new programs (with such high success rates!) are a little hard to find! Happy to answer any questions or PMs about the program!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone applying to SMPs, postbaccs, etc. this year! I am a student entering the SUNY Upstate MedPrep program this year and wanted to encourage you all to apply for the Fall 2021 class. If you look at my post history, you'll see that I applied to SMPs last year and was accepted to many. I made the decision to come here after seeing the 100% matriculation to Upstate Medical School the inaugural year (for the sake of transparency, I was between here and Toledo MSBS, another hidden gem of an SMP that I was (still am, tbh) very attached to).

MedPrep, admittedly, is a new program, but that has its merits too-- you get more attention due to the smaller class size, and for me that was a huge plus coming from a large undergraduate campus. The other big plus for me was that it was an area I wanted to practice in after graduating--it may be a bit early for some, but I've always known I wanted to practice medicine in NY at some point, and going to an NY med school definitely helps.

Most importantly, acceptance into the MedPrep program also automatically guarantees you an interview at the medical school (unlike many programs who either don't offer a guaranteed interview, or do offer one, but based on a certain GPA requirement. Upstate offers you one with your acceptance letter to the SMP).

This is a relatively unknown program, making it a "hidden gem" of sorts. I encourage everyone looking for an academic enhancement 1-year program to apply or at least inquire! The staff is suuuper super nice and happy to help. They made our (Zoom) interview day relatively painless (no small feat) and I am really excited to be starting here soon :)

The program link is here: Med Scholars Med School Prep: MS | College of Health Professions | SUNY Upstate Medical University The application opens up in October, and its probably a little too early to be making this post, but just wanted you guys to be aware, as new programs (with such high success rates!) are a little hard to find! Happy to answer any questions or PMs about applying for now, and after starting in August, questions about the program itself too :)
Hi! Thank you for sharing this! I'm interested in this program, how long did it take for them to get back to you between applying, interview, then acceptance?

Hi! Thank you for sharing this! I'm interested in this program, how long did it take for them to get back to you between applying, interview, then acceptance?

So the program is not* rolling admissions (at least not when I applied, check to confirm that is still true this year), meaning that if you were to submit an application in May ‘21, you would be considered the same way as someone who submitted in October ‘20. In fact, they \ suggest holding off on submitting until the deadline, which I believe was May 1 (so you have more stuff to add to your resume).

Anyway, for the current cohort they start reviewing applications on May 1, the interview itself was also in May i think? its been a while. (i know they interviewed on Zoom bc they had our class do a Q&A with them) but not sure if any of this will change for you guys.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone applying to SMPs, postbaccs, etc. this year! I am a student entering the SUNY Upstate MedPrep program this year and wanted to encourage you all to apply for the Fall 2021 class. If you look at my post history, you'll see that I applied to SMPs last year and was accepted to many. I made the decision to come here after seeing the 100% matriculation to Upstate Medical School the inaugural year.

MedPrep, admittedly, is a new program, but that has its merits too-- you get more attention due to the smaller class size, and for me that was a huge plus coming from a large undergraduate campus. The other big plus for me was that it was an area I wanted to practice in after graduating--it may be a bit early for some, but I've always known I wanted to practice medicine in NY at some point, and going to an NY med school definitely helps.

Most importantly, acceptance into the MedPrep program also automatically guarantees you an interview at the medical school (unlike many programs who either don't offer a guaranteed interview, or do offer one, but based on a certain GPA requirement. Upstate offers you one with your acceptance letter to the SMP).

This is a relatively unknown program, making it a "hidden gem" of sorts. I encourage everyone looking for an academic enhancement 1-year program to apply or at least inquire! The staff is suuuper super nice and happy to help. They made our (Zoom) interview day relatively painless (no small feat) and I am really excited to be starting here soon :)

The program link is here: Med Scholars Med School Prep: MS | College of Health Professions | SUNY Upstate Medical University The application opens up in October, and its probably a little too early to be making this post, but just wanted you guys to be aware, as new programs (with such high success rates!) are a little hard to find! Happy to answer any questions or PMs about applying for now, and after starting in August, questions about the program itself too :)
Hi! If you dont mind me asking, what were your stats?

Hi! If you dont mind me asking, what were your stats?

I had a 510 and was an California resident. There are several people with stats significantly below mine who still got in though.

Last edited:
Hi everyone applying to SMPs, postbaccs, etc. this year! I am a student who completed the SUNY Upstate MedPrep program this year and wanted to encourage you all to apply for the Fall 2021 class. We had a 100% matriculation to Upstate Medical School our inaugural year!

MedPrep, admittedly, is a new program, but that has its merits too-- you get more attention due to the smaller class size, and for me that was a huge plus. The other big plus for me was that it was an area I wanted to practice in after graduating--it may be a bit early for some, but I've always known I wanted to practice medicine in NY at some point, and going to an NY med school definitely helps.

This is a relatively unknown program, making it a "hidden gem" of sorts. I encourage everyone looking for an academic enhancement 1-year program to apply or at least inquire! The staff is suuuper super nice and happy to help. They made our interview day relatively painless (no small feat).

The program link is here: Med Scholars Med School Prep: MS | College of Health Professions | SUNY Upstate Medical University The application opens up in October, and its probably a little too early to be making this post, but just wanted you guys to be aware, as new programs (with such high success rates!) are a little hard to find! Happy to answer any questions or PMs about the program!
Hi!
Thank you for this. I am interested in applying this year and would like to ask you some questions. Can I send you a PM?
Thanks!

Hi everyone applying to SMPs, postbaccs, etc. this year! I am a current MS1 who completed the inaugural (Fall 2019) SUNY Upstate MedPrep program in and wanted to encourage you all to apply for the Fall 2021 class! We had a 100% matriculation rate to Upstate Medical School our inaugural year!

Edit: I have been told the Fall 2020 cohort was also 100% accepted to Upstate!

MedPrep, admittedly, is a new program, but that has its merits too-- you get more attention due to the smaller class size, and for me that was a huge plus.

Most importantly, acceptance into the MedPrep program automatically guarantees you an interview at the medical school (unlike many programs who either don't offer a guaranteed interview, or do offer one, but based on a certain GPA requirement. Upstate offers you one with your acceptance letter to the SMP).

This is a relatively unknown program, making it a "hidden gem" of sorts. I encourage everyone looking for an academic enhancement 1-year program to apply or at least inquire! The staff is suuuper super nice and happy to help. They made our interview day relatively painless (no small feat).

Hi! I’m a SDN newbie and I am glad I found this thread!

I applied a few weeks ago and I am curious to know how was your interview experience? I’m preparing as I would for a medical school interview, but I I figured I ask.

Thank you!

Also, would you be able to please say when people usually find out about their acceptance to the med school? It looks as though they find out in Feb even though the program ends in May. Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.