UQ Ochsner - program info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benevolentmouse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all

I understand there's a couple of other threads but I was told to start a new one and I figured the others werent really going in an informative direction. If anyone can use their experience to answer the following questions I'd be very appreciative:

1. How is the Ochsner cohort expected to match as (if I understand correctly) it graduates its first class this year? Will it receive special consideration for US residency spots located at Ochsner( I believe there's only ~55)? If so, how will the generosity extend to the incoming class size of 120?

2. Is the cohort going to be any more or less competitive compared to IMGs from other instituions? How so? How has the "regular" UQ cohort matched back in the states (since we have no data on ochsner matchings)?

3. If anyone is currently in the program, where are you from and what specialty of medicine do you look forward to practicing the most? I am from new york state/ mass, and I would definitely be happy if studying internationally would not limit my choices to specialties like Surgery or Emergency medicine. How is the Ochsner cohort informed/supported in it's desire to be matched at more competitive specialties?

4. How structured are the resources for the Ochsner cohort? Do you feel like the relatively new program is addressing your needs and concerns for coming back to practice in the US?
what has the usmle prep actually been like?

5. I have learned about UQs large class size at Brisbane and how it tries to manage it with PBLs, what other strengths and weaknesses exist in your opinion when you compare it to institutions like USyd? I've heard of a better basic sciences being taught at USyd and with USMLEs being a get what you put into it exam, the only other difference is at USyd you can do a max of 3 rotations abroad vs Ochsner... Which one puts us in the best overall position?

6. What are your alternatives if you are unable to match as an IMG to the US. Can Ochsner students realistically find internships in Oz? If one were to attain PR through marriage, would an Ochsner student be in the same position as a native UQ grad?

Thanks and bless you for reading

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks to Phloston for sending this my way.

I am the Academic Officer for the Ochsner Medical Student Association, the nascent group officially recognized by UQ and the OCS as the advocacy and support group for the Ochsner Cohort. As such I am privy to many details and meet regularly with top faculty at both institutions. I will attempt to answer your questions succinctly but fully and accurately.

1) Nobody can predict how the 1st cohort is expected to match. Besides the fact that there is no data to base this on, their case is extremely special in that much of the groundwork was laid under their feet as the inception cohort. That presented them with unique challenges and program deficits which current cohorts do not have. Additionally it is a very small sample size.

There is no official "special consideration" for residency at OCS for any of us. However, if you spend two years rotating through a hospital with the very same people who make and inform residency spot decisions, you can certainly expect to enhance or destroy your chances for a spot at OCS depending on your performance. The OCS readily recognizes that this is essentially a two year residency interview, and no program would be stupid enough to discount an extensive experience with a student who performs well, has a good rapport with the faculty and staff, and has demonstrates good clinical acumen. They would also be stupid to ignore a student who possesses none of those qualities.

2) There is no objective way to answer this question. From an informed subjective perspective, however, yes this program will be looked upon more favorably by residencies. In EBM parlance this is level 2C evidence (or thereabouts) since we have no actual data, only basic assumptions to go on. First is the pedigree of both involved institutions. Second is the positive uniqueness of the program (IMG means something different for a Caribbean grad vs an Oxford grad). Third is the positive response and interest from program directors that the OCS' chief academic officer (who also sits on the ACGME) gets on a regular basis. And lastly is the image we are actively putting out there to promote the positive and unique aspects of this program. From my own anecdotal experience - which is genuinely rather extensive for my position and status - I have yet to hear a disparaging comment from ANY physician with whom I have discussed the program. In fact, I have only heard positive ones.

As for the regular cohort (which we call "traditional" students) they have matched well. Dartmouth and Duke are two that I can name off the top of my head. The dean of UCSF school of medicine is a UQ SoM graduate. As I said above, the pedigree of the individual institutions is not in question - the novelty of the program is the only twist.

3) I am looking at an internal medicine residency followed by a critical care pulm fellowship and an academic track. I think my chances are extremely good. I also think that there is nothing inherently limiting your options for ANY specialty. There are some programs that will ONLY accept US grads. There are also programs that will NOT accept students from certain US SoM's as well. There is nothing one can do about that. So perhaps there are specific programs you may not be eligible for... but there is no practical or theoretical limitation to any specialty in any state.

4) The resources are honestly in need of some improvement. That said, one can say the same thing for any program and they are indeed pretty darned adequate. Also, the SoM and OCS has been extremely responsive in instituting positive changes and have genuinely listened to input from us and made a lot of excellent changes and additions to support us. There is always room for improvement... and we are always improving.

5) Your assessment is pretty correct. However, if you want an American residency, doing all your clinical training in the US is the trump card. It is a huge difference, no doubts about it. Besides, if you expect your SoM to teach you everything you need to know and spoon feed you a good USMLE result, then you will be sorely disappointed no matter where you go. Your knowledge and your scores are vastly the product of your own work, not the curriculum or resources a SoM provides.

That said, the curriculum is still solid and the resources are as well - in fact, I can argue that the resource package available to you at UQ would be more robust than most US med schools vis-a-vis Step 1 prep.

6) I honestly think it would be the rare person who simply cannot match. That means you are either truly that terrible of a candidate, you significantly over estimated your own competitiveness, or shot yourself in the foot with applications (likely a combo of all three). Not matching, with rare exception, means you are either a crappy student or crappy at strategically applying. But if you expect to get into oculoplastics with a 210 on your Step 1 and no significant research and put your eggs all in that one basket, then sure... you may not match.

As for other options, yes it is viable to get an internship in Oz. In fact, a friend of mine who is a 4th year was just offered one to start in January (and he doesn't have PR nor is married to an Aussie and the position is identical to any other intern spot you could get as an Aussie grad).

Hope that helps.

I just want to thank you for such a thorough response to each of my concerns. I guess ultimately the main concern is overall risk of an img matching. Were risking location and specialty in our matches. But given what I've read I sincerely believe this is a strong program that has the potential to deliver as much hat any international school can offer.