Uq vs Melbourne

Started by KTWD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KTWD

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I have been accepted to both UQ and Melbourne and I am not sure which one to go to. They both have their positives and negatives.
UQ+: It is in the top 50 medical schools in the world. Their program has been around for a while, brisbane is warm. Tuition is about 48000 Aus.
Cons: It is a large class, they don't have interviews or need reference letters, some people question their method of accepting people.

Melbourne: + The school is very well know, melbourne is a great city, the school it self is ranked within the top 20.
However! The major con is, they just just started the MD program, so the program is completely new. They did offer the MBBS degree, but switched. I think this could be a huge Con, as do I really want to be a guinea pig in a new program. Also tuition is 60 000. But I like having the university of Melbourne name attached the program.

What do you guys think, which one would you pick?

K
 
i recommend that u go for Melbourne if it's between these 2.
Melbourne didn't start a medical school, they merely switch over to a MD program, so there's really no question on the quality of teaching. They have professors that write textbooks and experienced course coordinators and hospital rotations in place. I wouldn't worry so much on the transition from a 6 year to a 4 year program.
It's in a great city and it has a better branding than UQ. The only problem is that it's costly.

UQ, on the other hand, i have heard not so nice stories. They take in some 450 students a year. There's no medical school in the world that takes in so many students. Crowded lectures, labs, slow school administration are amongst some of the grouses i've heard. Admission standards are also somewhat hazy, being rolling and offered on condition of 8/8/8 though reputably, their local student has the highest GAMSAT ( MCAT equivalent) scores.

Take melbourne if u can afford it. wouldn't go wrong
 
while not saying you should go to one or the other (there are too many factors that only you can figure out!), I want to correct a few things claimed:

They have professors that write textbooks and experienced course coordinators and hospital rotations in place.
so does UQ (to all the above).

It's in a great city and it has a better branding than UQ.
I'd agree with this, as a marginal benefit (most people in the US don't know either one, while they know sydney because of its name. those who know about the research though would say melbourne is higher, with UQ atually rating higher than places like sydney once their size is accounted for (while ANU is the HIGHEST in research!)

There's no medical school in the world that takes in so many students.
There are in fact quite a few.
Admission standards are also somewhat hazy, being rolling and offered on condition of 8/8/8 though reputably, their local student has the highest GAMSAT ( MCAT equivalent) scores.
I think it seems hazy mostly because there were some in the peanut gallery talking smack about rolling admissions (and UQ dropping their interviews) trying to say the scores would go down when it in fact raised them. I'd say this is a plus, but to each his own.
[/quote]
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
while not saying you should go to one or the other (there are too many factors that only you can figure out!), I want to correct a few things claimed:


so does UQ (to all the above).

I'd agree with this, as a marginal benefit (most people in the US don't know either one, while they know sydney because of its name. those who know about the research though would say melbourne is higher, with UQ atually rating higher than places like sydney once their size is accounted for (while ANU is the HIGHEST in research!)

There are in fact quite a few.
I think it seems hazy mostly because there were some in the peanut gallery talking smack about rolling admissions (and UQ dropping their interviews) trying to say the scores would go down when it in fact raised them. I'd say this is a plus, but to each his own.
[/QUOTE]

1. Name me any "world class medical school" that takes in 450 students. Not some school in Russia or the Caribbean. No really fair to UQ to compared her to some other money making schools out there ey?

2. The quote about professors and experience course coordinator was written in reference to the concern that Melbourne switch from a 6 year to 4 year course. Not in comparison to UQ. Pls dun take me out of context.

3. It's not peanuts gallery. From where i am, every student i know apply to UQ as a backup just in case they can't get into other unis of their choice. 26, 29 scores all got a place, even when they apply AFTER the official closing date is closed.
Of cse, some with stellar 34-35 MCAT still go to UQ eventually, but those who can afford it go to Syd or Melbourne.
For internationals, there is more supply than demand, hence sores are low. I've even heard of someone applying Dec and getting a place with a 27. For the locals, due to no interview and demand is WAY higher than supply, they need GAMSAT scores of ~71 to secure a seat. This GAMSAT score correspond to some 98.5% percentile, that's like a 38 or 39 on the MCAT?
 
Its much harder to get into an Aussie school as a local. My GAMSAT was 72, which is extremely high.

UQ and Melbourne are both good schools with excellent facilities, its really up to you which city you will like better. Melbourne has a lot more to do than Brisbane but Brisbane is warmer and also has some marvelous coasts and a low cost of living. Melbourne is pricey but cheaper than Sydney, however the weather in Melbourne is MEehehhehe. Melbourne also got a lot of bad press because of a string of racially motivated assaults.

Omni, by the time the students entering this year graduate, its highly doubtful internationals will be able to get internships. I already know that students from 2010 were unable to get internships in the first and second round, its not looking good. I think only Flinders graduates will have a chance because they and U of Adelaide remain the two main medicals schools in South Australia. Neither school has significantly upped their enrollments. Victoria, NSW, and Queensland all have new medical schools and increased enrollments at the current programs. It will be increasingly harder to get a job after graduation in Australia.
 
1. Name me any "world class medical school" that takes in 450 students. Not some school in Russia or the Caribbean. No really fair to UQ to compared her to some other money making schools out there ey?
Who are you quoting? This is a quote of what you claimed:
There's no medical school in the world that takes in so many students.
And you are wrong. UQ's a huge school, but big schools are all over asia which aren't "money making schools". so your allusions are misplaced, mate.

3. It's not peanuts gallery. From where i am, every student i know apply to UQ as a backup just in case they can't get into other unis of their choice. 26, 29 scores all got a place, even when they apply AFTER the official closing date is closed.
Of cse, some with stellar 34-35 MCAT still go to UQ eventually, but those who can afford it go to Syd or Melbourne.
I do think that happens a lot, but there are many here who made UQ their first choice, and I know of applicants who DIDN'T get inwith high scores, and I'm dumbfounded as to why. Point is, anectdotes can't give an average, or a likelihood.

I also have a friend who is going to sydney with a 26 - self-reporting if anything is INFLATED, not deflated, which is why as I said before, if you think you know the stats for a school by knowing people, then you don't know them, and only UQ releases anything about its scores (except Tony Edwards will be fairly frank about Flinders scores, which I'll agree are probably better than most the others).
 
Who are you quoting? This is a quote of what you claimed:

And you are wrong. UQ's a huge school, but big schools are all over asia which aren't "money making schools". so your allusions are misplaced, mate.


I do think that happens a lot, but there are many here who made UQ their first choice, and I know of applicants who DIDN'T get inwith high scores, and I'm dumbfounded as to why. Point is, anectdotes can't give an average, or a likelihood.

I also have a friend who is going to sydney with a 26 - self-reporting if anything is INFLATED, not deflated, which is why as I said before, if you think you know the stats for a school by knowing people, then you don't know them, and only UQ releases anything about its scores (except Tony Edwards will be fairly frank about Flinders scores, which I'll agree are probably better than most the others).

Blah blahahahah. Lets face it admissions standards for internationals are more lax because they represent $$$ to the administrations, that is all. Getting in as a local is a lot harder. Its actually harder for an Aussie to get into an Aussie medical school than it is for an America to get into an American medical school. You need at least a 70 on the Gamsat to have a chance of getting into UQ, that is like a 38 on the MCAT, whereas, even the better US medical schools, a score like a 33 will make you very competitive.

But anyway if you think your friend with a 26 is going to do as well in med school as someone with a 33, its not likely. The MCAT is a good predictor of academic success in medical school and performance on the boards. The people I know who did well on the USMLE all had strong MCATs.
 
um. That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said nor with this discussion in general.
 
um. That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said nor with this discussion in general.

Wow you must have some time on your hands, don't you have a Step 1 exam you have to study for?? Don't you know you need to ace it if you want to get a good residency back home?? Study!! Study!!!
 
Wow you must have some time on your hands, don't you have a Step 1 exam you have to study for?? Don't you know you need to ace it if you want to get a good residency back home?? Study!! Study!!!
You are one serious troll, and I hope you get booted.
 
UQ and Melbourne are both good schools, you should consider yourself lucky. I would go to the place that you will like. If it was me, I like Brisbane a lot more than Melbourne. Also if you are from the Northern Hemisphere you will realize why as most of us come to Oz for a sunny and warm climate. Melbourne is very variable when it comes to weather, kind of like San Francisco.
 
I think that's a good analogy- san francisco to melbourne. Both are awesome cultural cities with trams, cafes etc (though Melbourne isn't anywhere near as hilly as san fran), but with very variable weather. As a melbourne local I can tell you we are having a not so great summer- lots of rain and thus generally quite muggy weather.

However I'd say things are worse in Brisbane at the moment. Are you guys keeping up to date on the flooding disaster taking place?

Regards
 
Hey guys,

I have been accepted to both UQ and Melbourne and I am not sure which one to go to. They both have their positives and negatives.
UQ+: It is in the top 50 medical schools in the world. Their program has been around for a while, brisbane is warm. Tuition is about 48000 Aus.
Cons: It is a large class, they don't have interviews or need reference letters, some people question their method of accepting people.

Melbourne: + The school is very well know, melbourne is a great city, the school it self is ranked within the top 20.
However! The major con is, they just just started the MD program, so the program is completely new. They did offer the MBBS degree, but switched. I think this could be a huge Con, as do I really want to be a guinea pig in a new program. Also tuition is 60 000. But I like having the university of Melbourne name attached the program.

What do you guys think, which one would you pick?

K

Its a tough call, they are both great schools and while different in style, will both offer a great educational experience. Go for the programme where you feel you will be a better "fit" but be grateful to be in such a great position as having a choice!

Cheers
Lyndal
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad