URGENT: advice on when to take DAT vs. improving GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalproduction

Reaction score
Hi, so I'm a senior right now, and I'm hoping to apply to dental school this coming cycle (June 2020). I'll also be graduating May 2020. I screwed around my first two years, and currently my sgpa is a 3.1 (it's low I know). My overall by the time I graduate will probably be around a 3.7. I'm only mentioning this because I'm currently scheduled to take 4 classes (2 science and the other 2 I have to take to graduate) to improve my sgpa. I also haven't taken the DATs yet nor I have started studying. Ideally, I want to schedule them at the end of March, early April just so that I have time to retake over the summer if worse comes to worse. I'm intimidated by the amount I need to learn for the DAT, and I'm unsure of how I'm going to balance a full courseload and studying for the DATs and working.

I've been debating if I should drop one of the science classes so that I have more time to study for the DATs and settle for the slightly lower sgpa and have more time to study for the DATs or should I just take all the 4 classes and push my DAT test date to June so that I'll have more time to study, but then there's the chance that I won't be able to retake it if I don't get the score I want.

PLease help, I'm super stressed about this, and I don't ideally want to take 2 gap years so I'd prefer to apply this coming cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

You should really not be worrying from now about retaking the DAT. Put your all into studying and take it once and be done with it. Focus on your GPA now, that’s whats most important. Take the DAT in the summer. You could literally schedule it at the end of June and have all of May and June (2 months) to study. Or even schedule in July if you wish for more time.