URGENT : HMSOM (seton hall) vs OUWB??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpideyMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have just been accepted off the waitlist at HMSOM an hour ago. I currently only hold one other Acceptance at OUWB. I’m trying to decide between the two.

I current live in VA. I don’t know much about HMSOM but with the plan to enroll deadline being April 30 they are not giving me a lot of time to decide and I already have plans to be out of town so I can’t visit HMSOM under this time constraint.

OUWB:

Pros:
-honors/P/F preclinical
-seems very community oriented
-I like the area, I visited for the second look event

Cons:
-far from home

HMSOM (seton hall):
I know really nothing about this school. I know they have the 3+1 curriculum but I’m thinking I may want to specialize and not do primary care so I’m not sure if this would be a good option for me. Also the COA is 111k vs 88k for OUWB

Can anybody give me any information to help me make this decision on such a limited time frame. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hackensack Meridian, seton hall
That’s what I thought! I can’t weigh in though because I don’t know much about any schools, including these. Good luck though- that’s tough having to decide by April 30. Visiting seems so important :/

Congratulations on having two options though!

Edit: I know what Hackensack is so don’t make the decision based on the fact that I didn’t know the initials!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That’s what I thought! I can’t weigh in though because I don’t know much about any schools, including these. Good luck though- that’s tough having to decide by April 30. Visiting seems so important :/

Congratulations on having two options though!
Thanks so much

Hello all,

I have just been accepted off the waitlist at HMSOM an hour ago. I currently only hold one other Acceptance at OUWB. I’m trying to decide between the two.

I current live in VA. I don’t know much about HMSOM but with the plan to enroll deadline being April 30 they are not giving me a lot of time to decide and I already have plans to be out of town so I can’t visit HMSOM under this time constraint.

OUWB:

Pros:
-honors/P/F preclinical
-seems very community oriented
-I like the area, I visited for the second look event

Cons:
-far from home

HMSOM (seton hall):
I know really nothing about this school. I know they have the 3+1 curriculum but I’m thinking I may want to specialize and not do primary care so I’m not sure if this would be a good option for me. Also the COA is 111k vs 88k for OUWB

Can anybody give me any information to help me make this decision on such a limited time frame. Thanks.
I actually was accepted to OUWB. I feel like their program is solid and the ppl/faculty there seem genuine and like they actually care about their students. The class size is also on the smaller side, so you can get proper attention should you need it. I agree the area is nice and their hospital system is very strong in Michigan. The only thing I question there is the diversity in patient population as I don't remember them doing much work in the city of Detroit/underserved areas. OUWB is cheaper also which is win! Less loans is less stress in adult life. lol

As you can see from two ppl already asking who HMSOM is... OUWB is the more known school which can help you for residency and in life in general (you don't have to explain where you go to school, which can be annoying).

Speaking of residency, I would check out both match lists and see who is matching in your specialty of interest and where are they going.

You should probably read more about the 3+1 curriculum and what it actually means. You don’t have to enter a HMH residency year 3, it’s just an option to start residency early.

You should probably read more about the 3+1 curriculum and what it actually means. You don’t have to enter a HMH residency year 3, it’s just an option to start residency early.
Any thoughts on the program there?

I would go OUWB unless there is something that is really pulling your heart towards Hackensack. I am also one to think that if something is causing mass chaos and is super stressful, it is not worth pursuing unless you know for certain if that makes sense. I am in a similar situation deciding between 2 and I am not able to see the other, seeing the school is so important