Urgent, I matched but the program requested NRMP waiver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOC 12

Reaction score
Hello guys

I matched this year. Unfortunately, my J1 Visa is still under administrative processing. And the program doesn't want to wait for me longer due to major scheduling issues. They requested NRMP wavier after a month of the residency start. I feel it's really unfair. I already quit my job in my home country and breaking my contract this year for a reason that beyond my control will cause me a financial and career hardship. In addition the AP is just a matter of time and i'lI get the visa

My Questions,
I read the NRMP policy and there's a deferral option if both parties agree. Does that mean the program will be able to fill my position this year and at the same time save my position next year?

In worst case scenario if the waiver granted. What will happen to my current j1 visa application? And does that will affect my future visa application?

Anyone has an idea if the visa issue appears on the nrmp system? Because that will significantly lower my chance to be ranked high if I apply for the next match

I really appreciate your advice guys. My situation is really hard. It's even harder than going unmatched

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have no answers but I’d advise keeping polite and grateful in all your communication with them, whether you stay or get dropped you are better off if they like you

Sorry op, this sucks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I have no answers but I’d advise keeping polite and grateful in all your communication with them, whether you stay ir get dropped you are better off if they like you

Sorry op, this sucks
Of course. I'm staying very polite and professional with them

I matched this year. Unfortunately, my J1 Visa is still under administrative processing. And the program doesn't want to wait for me longer due to major scheduling issues. They requested NRMP wavier after a month of the residency start. I feel it's really unfair. I already quit my job in my home country and breaking my contract this year for a reason that beyond my control will cause me a financial and career hardship. In addition the AP is just a matter of time and i'lI get the visa

Although theoretically it's only a matter of time until you get the visa, I've seen scenarios where this takes 6 or more months. So the program may decide that they need someone to work now, not 6 months from now.

I realize it seems unfair. But it's also unfair to the program / other residents. I think we all agree that the situation sucks for all.

The waiver will be granted. You were "required" to start on July 1. Even though it's not your fault, the NRMP will grant the waiver.

I read the NRMP policy and there's a deferral option if both parties agree. Does that mean the program will be able to fill my position this year and at the same time save my position next year?

Theoretically, yes. Realistically, no. Chances are the program is concerned that you'll end up in AP again, and will not want to keep you in the program. They would need to re-do your J1 visa application to start next year. I guess this is worth asking your program about, and see what they say.

In worst case scenario if the waiver granted. What will happen to my current j1 visa application? And does that will affect my future visa application?

Your J visa app will be withdrawn. You'll no longer have a position. This shouldn't affect future applications, except that once you've triggered AP, it will likely happen again next year. I don't think there's anything you can do about that. You can't "continue" this visa until it's approved / cleared even though you won't need it any more.

Anyone has an idea if the visa issue appears on the nrmp system? Because that will significantly lower my chance to be ranked high if I apply for the next match

The NRMP will report you has having a waived match commitment. It doesn't mention details, if I remember correctly. This does not appear in ERAS. Programs will only know about it if you report it, or if they search the NRMP for past matches for their applicants. I don't know how many programs will do this.

Whether to report it or not is unclear. You're correct that it will probably negatively affect your chances of matching. But, if you end up in AP again, which is very likely, you could easily end up dropped by a program again. If you're up front about it, perhaps you'll end up at a program that's more flexible. It's a tough choice.

Reactions: 3 users
Although theoretically it's only a matter of time until you get the visa, I've seen scenarios where this takes 6 or more months. So the program may decide that they need someone to work now, not 6 months from now.

I realize it seems unfair. But it's also unfair to the program / other residents. I think we all agree that the situation sucks for all.

The waiver will be granted. You were "required" to start on July 1. Even though it's not your fault, the NRMP will grant the waiver.

Theoretically, yes. Realistically, no. Chances are the program is concerned that you'll end up in AP again, and will not want to keep you in the program. They would need to re-do your J1 visa application to start next year. I guess this is worth asking your program about, and see what they say.

Your J visa app will be withdrawn. You'll no longer have a position. This shouldn't affect future applications, except that once you've triggered AP, it will likely happen again next year. I don't think there's anything you can do about that. You can't "continue" this visa until it's approved / cleared even though you won't need it any more.

The NRMP will report you has having a waived match commitment. It doesn't mention details, if I remember correctly. This does not appear in ERAS. Programs will only know about it if you report it, or if they search the NRMP for past matches for their applicants. I don't know how many programs will do this.

Whether to report it or not is unclear. You're correct that it will probably negatively affect your chances of matching. But, if you end up in AP again, which is very likely, you could easily end up dropped by a program again. If you're up front about it, perhaps you'll end up at a program that's more flexible. It's a tough choice.

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it