Urgent! Should I postpone? Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OlgaW007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation:
UWSA1 230 (5 months prior)
UWSA2 215 (4 months prior)
NBME 15 (3 months prior) 215
NBME 16 (2 months prior) 225

NBME 18 today 211. Very depressed.

My goal is > 230
My exam is scheduled in three days. I am having a great urge to postpone. Failure is not an option.
My performance overall is much lower than it was on NBME16 a month ago. There is no particular area which is significantly lower. I don't know what happened. I can't say that questions were too difficult. Some of them were kinda WTF, but the majority were doable.
I spent last 3 weeks doing FA and UWORLD with my notes. I am so exhausted! I just can't wait for it to be over. I finished UWORLD. Did it x1.5 in timed mixed mode - 72% average 84th percentile.
Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Need more info. What are the consequences if you decide to postpone?
The thing is - I graduated 6 years ago and my medical school did not give me too much fundamental science. My education is more clinically oriented.
In June 2014 I failed my first attempt. I don't know what I was thinking then but I took a test without a single NBME. So I learned my lesson - trust your nbme.
I did not want to schedule the test until I will be sure. So when I got NBME 16 results with 225 in December I thought that I will do even better in a couple of weeks. Because of the holidays, my scheduling permit got delayed and I was able to book the test only for the end of January. I took a break during Holidays and last 3 weeks I spent studying for 8 hours every day.
If I postpone this test I will not be able to take Step 2 on time this year and as a result, I will not be able to apply for a match in August 2017. So I will "waste" one year.
I am 30 years old. From one hand I can't wait 1 more year but from another hand I can not afford failure. Match is going to be a challenge anyway but with failed second attempt I won't have any hope at all.
I just don't know what else I can do. It seems like I used everything. And I am not sure that I can continue because I am so exhausted.

The thing is - I graduated 6 years ago and my medical school did not give me too much fundamental science. My education is more clinically oriented.
In June 2014 I failed my first attempt. I don't know what I was thinking then but I took a test without a single NBME. So I learned my lesson - trust your nbme.
I did not want to schedule the test until I will be sure. So when I got NBME 16 results with 225 in December I thought that I will do even better in a couple of weeks. Because of the holidays, my scheduling permit got delayed and I was able to book the test only for the end of January. I took a break during Holidays and last 3 weeks I spent studying for 8 hours every day.
If I postpone this test I will not be able to take Step 2 on time this year and as a result, I will not be able to apply for a match in August 2017. So I will "waste" one year.
I am 30 years old. From one hand I can't wait 1 more year but from another hand I can not afford failure. Match is going to be a challenge anyway but with failed second attempt I won't have any hope at all.
I just don't know what else I can do. It seems like I used everything. And I am not sure that I can continue because I am so exhausted.
Seems like a complicated situation. This must be a really tough time for you, and unfortunately I don't think I can offer any strategic advice based on the scenario described above. Perhaps others on this forum can weigh in on this. I hope you will triumph at the end of this and reap the rewards for your hard work. Whatever you decide to do, please stay strong and fight.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is just my advice (agree or disagree with it, take it or leave it, or modify it, it's all upto you):

You're already 6 years out of graduation... by the time you apply for the match, if you're 7 or even 8 years out of graduation it's not going to make that huge of a difference. I mean if the battle was between 2 years out or 7 years out, I'd say consider it a battle, but between 6 and 7 or even 8, I think it really doesn't matter.

Now coming to the scores, with an attempt in past you must get an extraordinary score this time to prove your capabilities. It will make a significant difference if you get a score of 240+ instead of 210-220. So I'd say go get the better scores in both step 1 and 2 CK, pass CS with high performance and even try to pass step 3 with a good score and apply next year that is in August 2018 for the 2019 match.
You will be an extra year older graduate, but with higher scores and complete application you have MUCH BETTER chances of matching vs. this year!
However, if you go this route, make sure that you get into studies extremely seriously so that you don't end up regretting next year that you wasted another year and got nothing extra out of it.

Good luck mate!

This is just my advice (agree or disagree with it, take it or leave it, or modify it, it's all upto you):

You're already 6 years out of graduation... by the time you apply for the match, if you're 7 or even 8 years out of graduation it's not going to make that huge of a difference. I mean if the battle was between 2 years out or 7 years out, I'd say consider it a battle, but between 6 and 7 or even 8, I think it really doesn't matter.

Now coming to the scores, with an attempt in past you must get an extraordinary score this time to prove your capabilities. It will make a significant difference if you get a score of 240+ instead of 210-220. So I'd say go get the better scores in both step 1 and 2 CK, pass CS with high performance and even try to pass step 3 with a good score and apply next year that is in August 2018 for the 2019 match.
You will be an extra year older graduate, but with higher scores and complete application you have MUCH BETTER chances of matching vs. this year!
However, if you go this route, make sure that you get into studies extremely seriously so that you don't end up regretting next year that you wasted another year and got nothing extra out of it.

Good luck mate!
Thank you for your response!
How long I should postpone it for in your opinion?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

This is very wise advice. It seems it is almost impossible for an IMG with an attempt to get matched nowadays. Only stellar scores can show that a failed attempt was an unfortunate accident. Don't blow your chances for residency only because you are exhausted!

Reactions: 1 user
This is very wise advice. It seems it is almost impossible for an IMG with an attempt to get matched nowadays. Only stellar scores can show that a failed attempt was an unfortunate accident. Don't blow your chances for residency only because you are exhausted!
Do you think I should take a break? Maybe I overworked myself?

Do you think I should take a break? Maybe I overworked myself?

If I were you, I would take a break to analyze why you are not improving and what should be changed in your studies to reach your goal. As @Reperfused said your goal should be at least 240+ after a failed attempt.

If I were you, I would take a break to analyze why you are not improving and what should be changed in your studies to reach your goal. As @Reperfused said your goal should be at least 240+ after a failed attempt.
Sounds good. I postponed the test for 1 month. I really need to figure this out because most questions did not take long to answer. This is what scares me. I feel like I memorized entire FA because when I read it everything is very familiar. But on Nbme 18 I would not say that many questions were from FA. Most of them reminded UWORLD. I am going to do UWORLD marked and incorrect and do FA one more time. What do you think?

I postponed the test for 1 month.

IMO to see a difference one needs at least 3 months and a good strategy.

I feel like I memorized entire FA because when I read it everything is very familiar. But on Nbme 18 I would not say that many questions were from FA. Most of them reminded UWORLD. I am going to do UWORLD marked and incorrect and do FA one more time. What do you think?

There were little straight recall questions on my test. They don't tend to ask the most specific antibody for Y, but rather they ask electrolyte abnormalities you will expect in person in X or Y circumstances. You cannot memorize the exact answer for every situation, but if you have deep understanding on how a human body works, you will answer such questions easily. IMO memorizing Uworld questions won't help you to boost the score.

IMO to see a difference one needs at least 3 months and a good strategy.

There were little straight recall questions on my test. They don't tend to ask the most specific antibody for Y, but rather they ask electrolyte abnormalities you will expect in person in X or Y circumstances. You cannot memorize the exact answer for every situation, but if you have deep understanding on how a human body works, you will answer such questions easily. IMO memorizing Uworld questions won't help you to boost the score.
Electrolyte abnormalities are well explained in BRS Physio. I got this concept pretty good. During uworld there were a lot of questions about electrolytes ans I got them correctly. I would not agree with you about FA - some facts need to be memorized, for example, immunology drugs or neuroanatomy.
Which strategy you would suggest?

Electrolyte abnormalities are well explained in BRS Physio. I got this concept pretty good. During uworld there were a lot of questions about electrolytes ans I got them correctly. I would not agree with you about FA - some facts need to be memorized, for example, immunology drugs or neuroanatomy.
Which strategy you would suggest?
I was just trying to give you an example. I didn't imply that you don't need to memorize bunch of staff during the preparation. Work on your weaknesses, you know them better than anybody.
Best of luck!

Okay I'm the same situation as you. My exam is in 6 days and Im wondering the same thing. I am an IMG with 1 year of graduation. But in my case I decided to take it. My last nbme wasnt comforting either but accordingly from what I read in the experiences post. People have been getting over then points more than NBMEs they took after they made the changes and altered the curve. So I think you'll be fine and you still have the chance to get this exam over with and increase for CK.
BUT if you are elegible for the 3 months extension for the 70-80US fee I would pay it and delay it. But thats not my case. (I used that already) anyways best of luck and take the best choice accordingly to what your gut tells you.

Here is my situation:
UWSA1 230 (5 months prior)
UWSA2 215 (4 months prior)
NBME 15 (3 months prior) 215
NBME 16 (2 months prior) 225

NBME 18 today 211. Very depressed.

My goal is > 230
My exam is scheduled in three days. I am having a great urge to postpone. Failure is not an option.
My performance overall is much lower than it was on NBME16 a month ago. There is no particular area which is significantly lower. I don't know what happened. I can't say that questions were too difficult. Some of them were kinda WTF, but the majority were doable.
I spent last 3 weeks doing FA and UWORLD with my notes. I am so exhausted! I just can't wait for it to be over. I finished UWORLD. Did it x1.5 in timed mixed mode - 72% average 84th percentile.
Any advice would be appreciated!

As a blanket statement, without really reading into your situation, generally pushing back an exam is a bad idea. You'll never feel ready, even if you're poised to score 260s. You have to just sit it. I've been a USMLE tutor for four years now, and although it's common to hear students want to add time to their prep, etc., it's RARE that they use the time well.

As a blanket statement, without really reading into your situation, generally pushing back an exam is a bad idea. You'll never feel ready, even if you're poised to score 260s. You have to just sit it. I've been a USMLE tutor for four years now, and although it's common to hear students want to add time to their prep, etc., it's RARE that they use the time well.
What's your suggestion?

I have to agree with Phloston and please take my situation as an example. I started studying in the summer and aimed for last October. Guess what happened? I chickened out and ,of course, I wasn't feeling ready. Fast forward to today, I still haven't taken it.. still working on UFAP and guess what else? My NBME scores have not increased drastically by 40-50 points, but by only 10 points. Phloston is right, I have not used that time wisely. Olga, take one last mini vacay for psychological reasons and then sit and study for 8-12 weeks without breaks. This is also my last chance and everyone warned me about postponing but I fell into that trap. At this moment in time I really wish I tried and pushed myself harder so I could have been done in October. Burnout and fatigue is real for IMGs who are studying for MONTHS for this exam... enough is enough.

Okay I'm the same situation as you. My exam is in 6 days and Im wondering the same thing. I am an IMG with 1 year of graduation. But in my case I decided to take it. My last nbme wasnt comforting either but accordingly from what I read in the experiences post. People have been getting over then points more than NBMEs they took after they made the changes and altered the curve. So I think you'll be fine and you still have the chance to get this exam over with and increase for CK.
BUT if you are elegible for the 3 months extension for the 70-80US fee I would pay it and delay it. But thats not my case. (I used that already) anyways best of luck and take the best choice accordingly to what your gut tells you.
How did it go ?