URM 2.9 GPA, what schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NavyBlueScrubs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What community do you represent? I'm not talking about geography.

It will be better to advise you after your MCAT scores are in, but rising GPA trends are always good. I strongly recommend not applying until after your GPAs are > 3.0.

Members don't see this ad :)
A post bacc or SMP could get you into the competitive range with that GPA. If you could get it up to 3.3 or 3.4 with a solid mcat score there is a chance.

Reactions: 1 users
Solid mcat will save you. Forget about a post bacc or smp. Aim for 509+ and you're golden

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Hello forum!

I am a nervous wreck and I wanted some advice from my peers on whether if I should apply to medical school or look at different routes to become more competitive for Medical School (i.e. postbacc, MPH, etc.)
Background Info:
26 year old non-traditional route.
I chose to work right after high school at a factory and an event center full-time where I held a supervisor position at both for 3 years. I decided to go back to school and get an education as I was unhappy with what I was doing and knew I always wanted a career in healthcare. I went to Community college and transferred to a UC and did poorly my first year there, not because I wasn't motivated or was lazy, but because the transition was rough for me. I am graduating by the end of this academic year, I began with a 2.4 gpa and have brought up my gpa to a 2.93 gpa within those two year (not as much as I have wanted but I have been growing) and am hoping to graduated with a 3.0-3.1 if things go as planned.
I also wanted to add that I also work 20hours a week on campus doing paper work for staff, involved in research (10hours a week), and am involved in the community trying to get underrepresented students interested in health care and medicine.

I know my GPA is extremely low for admission, and although I have been researching all my options I thing it would be great to hear what others think I should do? I will be taking my MCAT in spring and have been studying since summer hoping to get a strong MCAT score.
Should I take a shot at applying to MedSchool, and if so which ones?
If not what are my alternatives to getting me to my desired goal.

Any input would be great, I can take criticism.

A solid one-take MCAT 510+ and maybe some GPA repair by retaking bad classes, apply to DO and you should be fine. DO replaces the grade with the most recent instead of an average like MD.

Reactions: 1 user
@determined for success You said you transferred to a UC - I'm going to assume you're a California resident and have completed all your pre-reqs. In which case, I'd strongly encourage you to apply to the UC Consortium post-baccs. These one-year programs are designed for disadvantaged and/or diversity applicants to get into med school.

UC-Davis (min GPA of 2.7)
UC-Irvine (min GPA of 2.8)
UC-Riverside (min GPA of 2.7)
UC-San Francisco (min GPA of 2.93)
UCLA is for reapplicants only

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Have to get that GPA up. A GPA below 3 is pretty much a non-starter for med school admissions. Preferably want at least above 3.3.

Good luck OP. We're rooting for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user