URM 3.5 cGPA 3.5 sGPA SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Overmjnd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What's with this ridiculous **** that I keep seeing of people with 3.5+ GPAs thinking about SMP programs?

brothers, sisters,
What do you think my chances of getting into any US MD school? I'm planning on applying to roughly ~40 next cycle; hope to land at least 1 acceptance.

Stats:

3.5 cGPA
3.5 sGPA
34R mcat
mediocre LOR's
URM-mexican (I don't like mentioning this to people IRL, but it is relevant to whether I should apply and spend serious money or hold off and do a SMP)

500 hours clinical work
3 years of lab bench work
-Completely self-organized trip, lived with doctors for two months and brought medicine to indigenous underserved tribal members in the jungle. Not affiliated with any program; I just called a hospital, said I was interested in rural
health care, and bought a plane ticket across the world. Turned out to be the best 2 months of my life.

So, apply in June or apply for SMP?

:confused:

EDIT: Positive upward trend 3.1->3.6->3.9 junior (although probably gonna get ~3.5 this semester, ugh. Believe me, I've been trying!!!)
You are an URM with 3.5 s/cGPA, a 34R and you want to do a SMP...Seriously.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry, I've just read in so many threads to not just rely on your URM status to get you in.

3.5 is very borderline, and is why I ask. There are (multiple) people complaining about their 3.7's, which to say the least, scares me. I'm URM, but so what, a 3.5 is a 3.5.
All those people, including you, are insane if you think you're anywhere near the SMP level. The only thing that can hold people with your stats back is yourself i.e. poor essay writing, being boring outside of academics, being awkward during interviews, etc.

wow I think that's a first on SDN; usually you just hear bad news. It's a welcome change.

I appreciate the input; if any URM's read this who have gone through this process with similar stats please msg me.
I gave you stats...What else do you want? Did you click on that link?

yes, stats are good. I'll take a 82.9% admittance rate.

Last edited:
The only thing that can hold people with your stats back is yourself i.e. poor essay writing, being boring outside of academics, being awkward during interviews, etc.
Overmjnd, I'd also hope you have a few more ECs than those you mentioned in your brief post. Your numbers are fine. Try not to have too drastic a downward trend right before applying.

brothers, sisters,
What do you think my chances of getting into any US MD school? I'm planning on applying to roughly ~40 next cycle; hope to land at least 1 acceptance.

Stats:

3.5 cGPA
3.5 sGPA
34R mcat
mediocre LOR's
URM-mexican (I don't like mentioning this to people IRL, but it is relevant to whether I should apply and spend serious money or hold off and do a SMP)

500 hours clinical work
3 years of lab bench work
-Completely self-organized trip, lived with doctors for two months and brought medicine to indigenous underserved tribal members in the jungle. Not affiliated with any program; I just called a hospital, said I was interested in rural
health care, and bought a plane ticket across the world. Turned out to be the best 2 months of my life.

So, apply in June or apply for SMP?

:confused:

EDIT: Positive upward trend 3.1->3.6->3.9 junior (although probably gonna get ~3.5 this semester, ugh. Believe me, I've been trying!!!)

Your grades are pretty good with a strong upward trend. You do not need an SMP. Your MCAT is great. Your activities cover the bases (your interest in rural health is pretty unique and could be your application hook, provided you show sustained interest).

Few questions to really assess how you will do.

1. What state do you live in?
2. Sorry if this is personal: do you consider yourself economically disadvantaged?
3. What was your research in?
4. What was did your clinical work entail?
5. Who is writting your LORs?
6. What are your career goals?

Your grades are pretty good with a strong upward trend. You do not need an SMP. Your MCAT is great. Your activities cover the bases (your interest in rural health is pretty unique and could be your application hook, provided you show sustained interest).

Few questions to really assess how you will do.

1. What state do you live in?
2. Sorry if this is personal: do you consider yourself economically disadvantaged?
3. What was your research in?
4. What was did your clinical work entail?
5. Who is writting your LORs?
6. What are your career goals?

thanks guys, do appreciate it.

1. CA
2. My family's as middle class as you can get, so I'd say no.
3. In total I've worked at 3 research institutions: 1 in DNA recombination (wet lab), 1 in the molecular pathways of lyme disease at a national laboratory (wet lab), and then currently I study the hippocampus through behavioral studies in primates. Last job was for two years, first two add up to 1 year collectively.
4. I've been a ER volunteer for the past 2 years, and then that medical trip I mentioned above.
5. Two science teachers from my Neuro classes- fairly respected in their field, but I wish I had gotten to know them better. I have 1 letter from a MBBS doctor (international MD-like degree) that is probably very good. My non-science LOR is in the works right now, will definitely have one by the end of the year, perhaps from my writing professor.
6. Career goals are to bring subsidized health care to poorer populations if all goes to plan.

thanks guys, do appreciate it.

1. CA
2. My family's as middle class as you can get, so I'd say no.
3. In total I've worked at 3 research institutions: 1 in DNA recombination (wet lab), 1 in the molecular pathways of lyme disease at a national laboratory (wet lab), and then currently I study the hippocampus through behavioral studies in primates. Last job was for two years, first two add up to 1 year collectively.
4. I've been a ER volunteer for the past 2 years, and then that medical trip I mentioned above.
5. Two science teachers from my Neuro classes- fairly respected in their field, but I wish I had gotten to know them better. I have 1 letter from a MBBS doctor (international MD-like degree) that is probably very good. My non-science LOR is in the works right now, will definitely have one by the end of the year, perhaps from my writing professor.
6. Career goals are to bring subsidized health care to poorer populations if all goes to plan.

I think you are pretty solid overall.

When you apply, try to develop a hook with your application (ie, a central theme of some sort) and how everything you have done so far (and plan to do) falls into this package. This strategy is especially important considering you are a CA resident.