URM in DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kkrules2014

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys

Can anyone who is an URM and got accepted to a DO school share what their stats were? I'm needing some encouragement right now. I'm coming off a 2.7 cGPA and around a 2.5 sGPA for out of state schools and 2.8 cGPA and 2.7 sGPA for Texas schools. I plan to do repeat courses from my freshman year which are significantly dragging down my GPA. What stats should I strive for before applying?
 
MCAT score?
What URM? AA ? Hisp? NA?
ECs?
Need to bring gpa to a minimum of 3.0, realistically, I say 3.3 min
 
I am black. I haven't taken my MCAT yet. I'm starting retakes this summer. Realistically from my retakes I could probably get a science gpa of 3.2 assuming I get As. I will also be taking additional science classes too. I'm not sure my cumulative will move too much. Maybe a 3.2 with retakes and extra classes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am black. I haven't taken my MCAT yet. I'm starting retakes this summer. Realistically from my retakes I could probably get a science gpa of 3.2 assuming I get As. I will also be taking additional science classes too. I'm not sure my cumulative will move too much. Maybe a 3.2 with retakes and extra classes.

Honestly man I would focus on the mcat now because if you can't get at least in the mid 20s your efforts will be an expensive waste. Also apply to the lessor competitive schools(newer ones and those without regional bias(
 
I agree you focus on mcat and retakes. But mcat needs to be mid to upper twenties I think. With a3.2 and solid mcat I think you'll be fine
 
Thanks for the encouragement you guys. I had a really rough freshman year and working to repair the damage. I will heavily prep for the MCAT. I'm hoping to get into TCOM since it's a great school and the tuition is very cheap.
 
Yea i know TCOM doesn't do grade replacement, but I will still work hard to have at least a decent chance of getting in there. Thanks you guys!
 
Hi guys

Can anyone who is an URM and got accepted to a DO school share what their stats were? I'm needing some encouragement right now. I'm coming off a 2.7 cGPA and around a 2.5 sGPA for out of state schools and 2.8 cGPA and 2.7 sGPA for Texas schools. I plan to do repeat courses from my freshman year which are significantly dragging down my GPA. What stats should I strive for before applying?

what year are you?