Urm + orm = ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sed8&Intub8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what are you when you are half over represented and half under represented in healthcare?

Members don't see this ad.

So what are you when you are half over represented and half under represented in healthcare?

as in "mixed"?...you check whatever you identify yourself as on the application. There isn't a "urm" box on AMCAS. So if you are african american and caucasian (or whatever combination) then you simply check both boxes or anything that applies to you. You don't have to be 100% something to be considered URM.

seems that whenever black genes are mixed with another race then the offspring is automatically black. not sure about the psychology behind this. Seems like the world is saying that anyone can be black but you need to be "pure" to be considered white.

Members don't see this ad :)

you cancel yourself out and cease to exist. sorry, i couldn't resist :D.

seems that whenever black genes are mixed with another race then the offspring is automatically black. not sure about the psychology behind this. Seems like the world is saying that anyone can be black but you need to be "pure" to be considered white.

in america anyways, people used to get REALLY specific about just how black you were and how white you were. a bit of black blood made you not white anymore. people were given categories like they were fractions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadroon

When you can check 2 boxes then you check two. When you can only check one box then it's up to you. For me, I'm "other" when the results of my checking that box don't mean much. When there are scholarships on the line, I'm urm. Just the way life is.

People say check whichever one you identify with... yea, I identify with both or neither or whatever. I grew up American and that's about it. No one cared to get too specific until I got to college.

Oh and to answer your post, you will usually just be regarded as urm in healthcare. (Unless you can't tell and look completely orm, but you will still be urm on paper)

Could someone please clarify what exactly a URM is?

Can south asians be considered URMs?

Thanks

Under-represented minority
Currently includes African Americans, Mexican-Americans, Native Americans (American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians), Pacific Islanders, and mainland Puerto Ricans