**URM? Post Stats Here**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UCMDwannabe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are a URM, please post your information here.

Where are you from?

Are you currently in med school? applying?

What are you stats (mcats, grades)? Where have you been interviewed, accepted to so far?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ill be happy to share my info, but I won't post my stats on this site. Not the climate for it.

Im from New York City, and applying for the entering class of 2005 - all MD programs. I have no acceptances yet. My files are recently complete - mostly mid october. I've had two interviews thus far, and I have one scheduled for late November.

What does URM stand for?

Members don't see this ad :)
this is my first post here. i am an urm and i have no problem posting my stats and ecs and all that.

i graduated from the university of washington majoring in biochemistry. my gpa is 3.22 with my bcpm as 3.12. this is highly misleading though as i ended my freshman year barely escaping academic probation. my junior year i worked full-time while taking classes full time (like biochem and physics). however, i definitely have an upward trend and did very well in difficult classes (3.6 in diffeq and 3.9 and 3.7 in my pchem, to name some examples).

as far as ec, i worked all four years of college from retail to clinical research with surgery fellows to basic science research in a virology lab. as an undergrad i was a howard hughes fellow and participated in several research symposiums i'm currently a research tech.

my mcat scores are v9 ps 10 bs 12, s

i worked very hard to try to show adcoms and others that i should go to med school not because i'm a urm, but because i'm just as qualified as a white male to go.

i have interviewed at case western, dartmouth, ohsu, texas a&m, ut san antonio, ut galveston, university of washington and wash u. i have an interview coming up with tufts.

blast away. if you think i'm not qualified then screw you.

i just realized my grammar is absolutely horrible in my reply. sorry. don't let this fool you into thinking that i can be doctor! w/ me being brown and all. *smirk*

GPA 3.1 MCAT 24

Accepted at all places applied to.

I'm not considered a URM, but I fail to see the point of this thread. Is it just to trash others who have URM status and have been accepted with lesser stats or to rile up those with greater stats who do not have URM status and are not accepted?

blazerfan33 said:
I'm not considered a URM, but I fail to see the point of this thread. Is it just to trash others who have URM status and have been accepted with lesser stats or to rile up those with greater stats who are do not have URM status and are not accepted?

i agree. but i posted my stats to show the ignorant dude that just b/c you're brown and have a lower gpa doesn't automatically mean that you're "not qualified" or getting preferential treatment. i mean, i'm not stupid. i'm sure i am getting pref treatment at some of these schools, but honestly, i prefer not to. it just adds more fuel to the fire.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just had to add my $0.02. What is to be gained from this? You can find out the stats of those who chose to list them on mdapplicants.com, and if such people are URMs. There is no need to create an avenue for venomous exchanges and really pointless exploits.

MEG@COOL said:
Go to hell you racist pig.

thatsnomoon.jpg

Abandoning this trainwreck of a thread...

Roach motel, eh atrox? :laugh:

WOW!! This thread is dangerous. I suggest that if you're not going to be supportive or respectful towards URMs, then don't post. I am a URM and I would like to be able to view posts in this forum without feeling offended and angry. This thread would provide very valuable information to URMs that are feeling discouraged about the application process and can't get information elsewhere. Accordingly, if you don't have anything positive to contibute please be the mature adult that I know you are and move on to another thread. There is no need to propagate hate.

Well the reason this discussion went down the drain is because MEG@COOL said:

"GPA 3.1 MCAT 24

Accepted at all places applied to."

I know we need URMs in medicine, but saying what was said above, almost as if proud of your scores, WILL make people angry. These stats are way below the mean of matriculants (its around a 3.5, 29)... If I were white/asians, I would rightfully be angry (or any people that could take the test and not study at all and get the same scores)... Don't flaunt that you have low scores and "easily" got in...at least be humble about it!

I dunno, just saying it so quickly (what was said above), just doesn't sound right...

I agree that this should be a place for URMs to discuss things that would be positive in improving their grades, etc., and not just comparing how low you can go and get away with getting in...

Mike

MIKE G said:

"GPA 3.1 MCAT 24

I know we need URMs in medicine, but saying what was said above, almost as if proud of your scores, WILL make people angry. These stats are way below the mean of matriculants (its around a 3.5, 29)... If I were white/asians, I would rightfully be angry (or any people that could take the test and not study at all and get the same scores)... Don't flaunt that you have low scores and "easily" got in...at least be humble about it!

I dunno, just saying it so quickly (what was said above), just doesn't sound right...

I agree that this should be a place for URMs to discuss things that would be positive in improving their grades, etc., and not just comparing how low you can go and get away with getting in...

Mike

Mike.... do a search on all of the posts that MEG has done, then come back and edit this post.

i really don't understand why this meg@cool troll hasn't been banned at this point.

CarleneM said:
i really don't understand why this meg@cool troll hasn't been banned at this point.

He needs to take a class in Trolling 101 ;)

In 2004...
377 Mexican Americans matriculated
282 Puerto Rican...
48 Native American...
1,086 Black...
All who...of course...have lower stats than any other applicant.

Rougly 10%

And about 10% of those matriculate at a historically black medical schools.

So we're battling over 9%.

Gimme a break.

Yeah, BAN MEG@COOL

2tall said:
In 2004...
377 Mexican Americans matriculated
282 Puerto Rican...
48 Native American...
1,086 Black...
All who...of course...have lower stats than any other applicant.

Rougly 10%

And about 10% of those matriculate at a historically black medical schools.

So we're battling over 9%.

Gimme a break.

you'll learn to deal with it...
:rolleyes:

Eiano said:
you'll learn to deal with it...
:rolleyes:

Another interesting revelation. In 2004...seems like if you were a Mexican American Applicant you had a 50% chance of being accepted. Puerto Rican...around 58%. Native American...50%. Black...around 42%. White...52%.

crysb said:
i agree. but i posted my stats to show the ignorant dude that just b/c you're brown and have a lower gpa doesn't automatically mean that you're "not qualified" or getting preferential treatment. i mean, i'm not stupid. i'm sure i am getting pref treatment at some of these schools, but honestly, i prefer not to. it just adds more fuel to the fire.

Crysb,

I just wanted to let you know, that your stats are good even if you weren't a minority, as long as you showed an upward trend.

I know a few people who were not a minority but who showed upward trends. Some were ages older.......like in their mid 30's, when they went back to school, and in fact most were not minorities. So don't worry about people thinking you got in because of minority status.

Actually, when people have issues with those kind of people, its when they here cases about people who get into programs with a 20 or 18 on their MCAT.

I have heard a few stories like that, which on some level I find hard to believe.

But yours does not definitely sound like one of those stories. I think your stats are just fine as they are if an upward trend is there.

didn't your momma teach ya'll that if you don't have anything nice to say than don't say anything at all?

look, if you're bitter that a black kid is going to med school than so be it but gosh, is this really the place to let it go? stop with the thread high-jacking people.

MIKE G said:
Yeah, BAN MEG@COOL

He broke lock-step!

Put the standard issue through his door!

We will accept nothing but blind adherence or silence...

bow before my god of Diversity, or be banished!

Let's all just SIMMA and listen to Teddy Pendergrass with NubianPrincess.

*waves hand in air*

I think this process is finally shredding what was left of my sanity :scared:

crysb said:

Hey Indians are brown and overly represented. It is a social situation not skin color issue my friend.

BTW I am a US resident and have gone through the most horrible financial crisis and the process of settling in the US isn't all that fun either.

Yet I do not get any pereferential treatment from anyone. Hey I have been at an disadvantage but I have pulled myself up on my own!
I am reminded of this Russian billionaire in England who fled Russia to become one of the wealthiest people in England. Heck an Indian is now the richest guy in England.
In other words, repsect yourself and stay calm. Perhaps, I should say lucky you :thumbup:

Premedtomed said:
Hey Indians are brown and overly represented. It is a social situation not skin color issue my friend.

semantics. i say 'brown' instead of 'black'.

fairy said:
didn't your momma teach ya'll that if you don't have anything nice to say than don't say anything at all?

look, if you're bitter that a black kid is going to med school than so be it but gosh, is this really the place to let it go? stop with the thread high-jacking people.

Was directed at my post right above yours? or was this directed at some of the other posts?

if it was directed at mine, I wasn't saying something to offend the URM's, just that the people who have issues with the whole minority vs not minority have issues with it when people with like 18 and 20 on the MCAT get into a med school.

They don't have issues with minorities who did as Cyrsb did and prove himself minority or no minority.

Amazing........the OP asks for stats.......and out of 31 replies, ONE person posted his stats....

btw, as for MEG@COOL, all who wanted him banned, I suggest you read his/her previous posts. He was being sarcastic (as in making fun of the stereotype that just URM status alone can propel someone into med school regardless of their ridiculously low stats)

grow a sense of humor ppl....

NYCDesi said:
Amazing........the OP asks for stats.......and out of 31 replies, ONE person posted his stats....

btw, as for MEG@COOL, all who wanted him banned, I suggest you read his/her previous posts. He was being sarcastic (as in making fun of the stereotype that just URM status alone can propel someone into med school regardless of their ridiculously low stats)

meg@cool is a guy? and i took "his" post about urm status as a joke and posted that there.

Psycho Doctor said:
meg@cool is a guy? and i took "his" post about urm status as a joke and posted that there.
Actually psycho, I dont know.....which is why I said "his/her" in my previous post.

I stopped thinking in terms of M/F just by reading ppl's screennames, 'cuz they usually turn out to be wrong (ah!! the power of anonymity). I stopped after I found out gujudoc is a girl and not a guy like I thought.

NYCDesi said:
Actually psycho, I dont know.....which is why I said "his/her" in my previous post.

I stopped thinking in terms of M/F just by reading ppl's screennames, 'cuz they usually turn out to be wrong (ah!! the power of anonymity). I stopped after I found out gujudoc is a girl and not a guy like I thought.

yea and the pictures for avatars are deceiving too. but meg is a girl's name.

This thread is a waste of time and energy. For those of you who fell into the trap of believing one posters stats and then bashing them---shame on you!

Grow up! Talk about immaturity on this thread. This whole forum should be about supporting one another and like another poster stated, if you dont have anything nice to say, DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!

Opinions are like a$$KHOLKHDES, everyone has one!!!!!

Now quit the troll fight!

MIKE G said:

"GPA 3.1 MCAT 24

Mike

well said, Mike! :thumbup:

Eiano said:
Mike.... do a search on all of the posts that MEG has done, then come back and edit this post.

even so, there are newbies here who can read that and believe it. it was pure flamebait to post a comment like meg@cool's. even as a reg here i started thinking "oh i didn't know meg@cool was a urm". unless i have "talked" to someone off this board, i rarely remember details about them.

NYCDesi said:

i have read meg@cool's previous posts and I understand that they are all "jokes" however, they are not particularly funny,immature, sometimes offensive and often lead others astray who have trouble seeing that they are jokes. its sometimes hard to detect sarcasm over the web for some people. also, the majority of meg@cool's posts are totally random such as the post about staying gay or whatever on a totally unrelated thread. this person is here only to be a pest (ie troll) and i do not understand why they are allowed to continue without warning.

Psycho Doctor said:
yea and the pictures for avatars are deceiving too. but meg is a girl's name.
meg is a girl's name, but MEG@COOL = mega cool

jules0328 said:
This thread is a waste of time and energy. For those of you who fell into the trap of believing one posters stats and then bashing them---shame on you!

Grow up! Talk about immaturity on this thread. This whole forum should be about supporting one another and like another poster stated, if you dont have anything nice to say, DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!

Opinions are like a$$KHOLKHDES, everyone has one!!!!!

Now quit the troll fight!

no!! don't blame the ones for believing what someone posts on this board, especially if it is flamebait but yet believable...blame the poster who had the audacity to post it!

TheProwler said:
meg is a girl's name, but MEG@COOL = mega cool

sorry my bad..i never would have seen that. but megacool would have worked for me! :oops:

NYCDesi said:
My stats are in my mdapplicants profile in my sig.
I don't want him banned, I just wanted to identify a troll post for those who might not otherwise recognize it. I can forgive your ignorance because you probably don't know megacool's posting history, but I'm pretty sure he has never posted anything in support of URMs. Considering his history, I don't think he intended to start now.

What's more likely, that he posted a pre-emptive strike against URM stereotypes (which nobody had yet suggested in the thread), or that he himself was perpetuating those stereotypes by posting as one of the feared low-stat URMs that everyone complains about?
Get yours fixed...you seem to be finding "the funny" where there isn't any.

2tall said:
Another interesting revelation. In 2004...seems like if you were a Mexican American Applicant you had a 50% chance of being accepted. Puerto Rican...around 58%. Native American...50%. Black...around 42%. White...52%.

but with the same exact standards?

I guess I should have played Marvin Gaye :laugh:

Yeah but it looks like I fed the troll....according to what ppl say this guy is just being sarcastic...my bad...

I am seriously regretting even posting this trend.

I am a URM from a disadvantaged background. I attend UC Berkeley. I am female. I dont have the best MCAT scores (26-28) but good grades (3.8 my last two years --3.6 overall) and EC's (research, volunteering, working with homeless/disadvantaged, tutoring, etc). I have always had a really hard time with standardized testing, which I believe stems to the low quality of education and training i recieved in my youth.

I started this thread because i just simply wanted to know my chances.

I dont understand why the huge controversy in this subject area. There are cases (but rare in my opinion) in which someone with unquestionably low stats are given a place...but not to the extent that it should create such animosity by people on this site.

If you would please, return to the actual point of this thread or go start your own race bashing thread elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.