URM Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigloley

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Sorry for probably a repetitive thread. I am Guyanese and wanted to know if I eligible for URM status.

For those who don't know Guyana is located next to Venezuela and Brazil in South America. The main races are black and east asian (indian). I am in the latter category with a small amount of Native American blood. Guyana is an English speaking country and my family speaks English creole (Caribbean English).

The Social Security office lists me as Hispanic

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, you and I are both listed as not being URM because we are Hispanics from a non-Mexican-American/non-mainland-Puerto-Rican heritage. You may be intriguing to an admissions committee for diversity on campus, but they will not process your application as URM.

There is no "special" processing of URM applications. Your application whether you designate yourself as black, hispanic, native american or anything else is processed the same as white or asian. All of the ethnic designations are self-reported data. You can call yourself anything that you want but don't expect that it's going to get you special processing in terms of getting into medical school.