URM Surgeon Mentors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rapidreader

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to be recommended to two local African-American surgeons. I have appointments with each other them (one of them tomorrow!), and I am at a lost as to what I should request of them.

Therefore I propose that any and all, if you were in my position, what questions would you ask?

If more contexts is needed, I can submit that upon request. If more particular information is needed, PM me.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Take a folder/envelope with your CV/resume and personal statement along with a time-line of your future plans. Be prepared to discuss these in detail and explain any of your extracurriculars/academics. If you have already applied to medical school, then give them a list of your medical schools and ask for comment on these. Ask them if there are schools that you should strongly consider in addition to those that you have applied to. Ask them what were their chief considerations in choosing a medical school.

Ask them how they kept their level of excellence high. Ask them how they got through those periods of "non-motivation". Ask them about the paths that they took to get where they are including what drew them to their specific specialty and what they find rewarding about the practice of medicine. Ask them what is least rewarding about the practice of medicine. Try to glean as much as possible from them about their practice of medicine and their preparation/training.

In short, you have a golden opportunity here so make the most of it. Be sure to get contact information from them to write a thank-you note and for future follow-up.

Take a folder/envelope with your CV/resume and personal statement along with a time-line of your future plans. Be prepared to discuss these in detail and explain any of your extracurriculars/academics. If you have already applied to medical school, then give them a list of your medical schools and ask for comment on these. Ask them if there are schools that you should strongly consider in addition to those that you have applied to. Ask them what were their chief considerations in choosing a medical school.

Ask them how they kept their level of excellence high. Ask them how they got through those periods of "non-motivation". Ask them about the paths that they took to get where they are including what drew them to their specific specialty and what they find rewarding about the practice of medicine. Ask them what is least rewarding about the practice of medicine. Try to glean as much as possible from them about their practice of medicine and their preparation/training.

In short, you have a golden opportunity here so make the most of it. Be sure to get contact information from them to write a thank-you note and for future follow-up.

Yes, A golden opportunity indeed. I thank you for the relevent suggestions. The performance of the advice in the second paragraph is already underway, but I feel I am going to waste these professtionals time. I am only a Sophomore undergraduate that just declared pre-medical this most recent fall semester. I have no work or volunteering history to speak of, just above average grades. It appears I will have to shoot for the "if you were in my shoes, which road would you walk down?" approach. For I have only three of the medical school prereqs completed.

Thank you njbmd.

Any other question suggestions?

Well one thing I would suggest is that you not become annoying. Sometimes its easy to get so excited that you ask a bajillion questions (I tend to get like this), and the doc gets annoyed. Be yourself, be inquisitive, be interested in what they have to say. My surgery mentor ended up becoming a really good friend. If possible, see if you can go on call with them; this will allow you to see what they really do day in and day out, and it will get you some great shadowing experience. Overall, like njbmd said, this is a great opportunity, but don't milk it all at once.