URM WAMC, cGPA 3.46, MCAT 506

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

classycritic

Reaction score
1. cGPA 3.46, sGPA 3.3
2. 506 (127, 128, 127, 124)
3. Michigan
4. Mexican-American/Chicano - URM
5. Top public state institution
6. Over 600 hours as a research assistant in an orthopaedic clinic. This included significant patient and physician interaction. Also over 200 hours as a clinical volunteer, directing hospital patients and visitors.
7. 300 hours of neuroscience research with only one poster out of it. The clinical research experience above also led to 4 poster presentations.
8. ~50 hours of shadowing, split evenly between emergency medicine and orthopedics.
9. ~100 hours of volunteer childcare but not the best, nor the most recent, experience.
10. Member of two clubs. Nothing else of particular note. I have also worked every summer of undergrad to make ends meet.
11. Honor roll for 3 semesters but not much else of note

My list is short right now and includes the following:
MSUCHM
Wayne St
Temple
Geisinger
Indiana
Loyola

I'm mostly curious to see if MD is a reasonable shot for this cycle or if I should take a gap year. Some other schools I have looked into include Georgetown, Drexel, and Quinnipiac. My biggest question is how far my URM status will get me, and if there are other schools that I might have a shot at despite my low stats. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Wayne State
Michigan State
Central Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Toledo
Indiana
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Colorado
NOVA MD
Miami
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Wayne State
Michigan State
Central Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Toledo
Indiana
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Colorado
NOVA MD
Miami
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Thanks a ton for the reply. You don’t think my stats put me out of the running for schools like Tufts or Einstein entirely?

Thanks a ton for the reply. You don’t think my stats put me out of the running for schools like Tufts or Einstein entirely?
No. Einstein is located in the Bronx, where 60% of the population is Hispanic. Large Hispanic population in Boston also.

Reactions: 1 user