Urology for IMG's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZfoUro

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to start another whole new thread about Urology but I didn't know if this was really relevant to most people. In any case, I am a Carribean med school MS III and I'm interested in Urology. I know it is really competitive for US grads, let alone FMG/IMG's. My Step I score is a 240 (or 97 two digit, from what people are telling me your two digit matters more because of variability, but I didn't think it really made a difference) and my GPA is 3.73 give or take a few tenths. I have done research in undergrad, though not pertaining to Urology, and I have scheduled a research elective at Mt. Sinai for 6 weeks. I'm hoping that should hopefully cover that part of my application. I have one 4 week Uro elective set up, and am going to set up another 4 weeks later on.

My questions are:
1) Does it matter for Carribean med students doing rotations in the states to take the Step II by the time you interview?

2) What else can I do (or what am I doing wrong) to help me get a spot in Uro?

3) What kind of scores do I need as a Carrib student to get in to Uro (or will the majority not even consider because I am)?

4) Realistically, do I have a shot?

I've read the posts on Urology and from what I understand it is rare to see an IMG/DO on the interview trail, but on the AUA website it said that 33% of IMG's matched (though it didn't say if they were Seniors or graduated, just lumped them all into "graduated"). I don't know if they all had to do years of research or had some back door to get in a residency spot -- maybe it is all about connections.

I'd appreciate any input at all. I feel I should thank you guys who post on Urology on a regular basis -- I know it is unofficial and all, and not to be used as a guide, but it's the best advice I feel I have in trying to match in Uro. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You've definitely got the USMLE score that you need, I guess if I were in your position I would do as many elective away rotations as you can at as many different places. Work your butt off (of course) but make sure you get along well with your team as well. A research project in urology is important, and your other research experience can only strengthen your application (i.e. it counts too). Like I posted earlier, I didn't see any FMGs or DOs on the trail, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. Look at it this way, as long as you're in the top 33% of FMG applicants, you'll match (assuming this year's stats hold).

I went on 21 interviews and saw 3 IMGs among all the people being interviewed. I think 2 were form St. Georges and 1 from Israel. Not sure where/if they matched though. I also met a couple DOs and a couple IMG/FMGs at the various interviews I went to. It definately seemed like the New York metro area was a little more friendly to DO/IMG/FMG.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to concentrate my pre-match efforts to the NYC area. Thanks again for weighing in.